- Text Size +
Although Kevin had an extremely busy week in the recording studio, he managed to find time to call Ellena twice. He loved the way she laughed on the phone and he was quickly learning more and more about her.
Ellena had a busy week too. Ken had talked her into working an extra shift. Actually, it was more like he forced her into taking an extra shift, but Ellena bit her tongue and accepted it. She was just biding her time until she could quit that club altogether. The dance team was greatly improving. Regional competitions were not too far off and Ellena had a good feeling about this year’s routine.
Cherry had been over to look after Lacey on Thursday night again, as Mrs. Craig always played bridge that night. Cherry filled Ellena in on her disastrous date from Saturday night and took Lacey shopping while Ellena worked her extra shift at the club. Ellena agreed to give Cherry some extra help with her dancing before her competition in three weeks. Cherry was up for a dance award that was a full scholarship to study at the conservatory. Ellena couldn’t be prouder of Cherry if she had been her own daughter. Ellena vowed that she would do anything and everything she could to help Cherry achieve the dream that Ellena never had the opportunity to pursue.
Kevin mentioned during one phone conversation that he would be free for Sunday afternoon. Ellena seized the opportunity to invite him over for pizza with Lacey again. Lacey was still talking about the pizza monster he had made and wanted to make another one.
Sunday morning came very early after Ellena pulled another double shift at the club the night before. Cherry had slept over so she could baby sit Lacey. Ellena and Cherry worked on Cherry’s dancing all morning in the park across the street. Finally Cherry begged for a break and sat down in the grass. Ellena shut off the music and sat beside her.
"Are you nervous about you audition Cherry?"
"No. I know I have a good routine – how can it not be? You were my teacher! I really want this scholarship. It’s what I have been working towards since I started dancing."
"You’re going to do great. We still have two weeks to work out any wrinkles."
"Will you come with me to the audition, Ell?"
"I wouldn’t miss it for the world!" Ellena put her arm around Cherry’s shoulders. "What are your plans for tonight?"
"Just going home, I guess. Mom and Dad went to watch Jeff play football." Cherry shrugged.
"Jeff, your big brother? I didn’t know he was on a team."
"Yep, University of Orlando. My Dad nearly bursts with pride every time he brags to his friends."
"Trust me Cherry, I know all about living in the shadow of an older brother. Once you get this scholarship, you won’t have to worry about it."
"Yeah, If I get the scholarship."
"You will – Trust me. Now get your stuff. You’re coming to my place for supper."
"But I thought your new date was coming for supper." Cherry whined.
"He is. I want you to meet him." Ellena stood and held a hand out to help Cherry up.
"Cool!" Cherry picked her CD player up and fell in step beside Ellena.
After picking up Lacey from Mrs. Craig’s, the three girls hurried up to the apartment. Ellena and Cherry each took a shower after dancing hard for the afternoon. Cherry raided Ellena’s closet again while Ellena and Lacey made pizza dough in the kitchen.
The knock at the door came precisely at six. Ellena washed the flour off her hands and checked herself in the hall mirror on the way by. She held her breath as she turned the doorknob and swung the door open. Kevin stood in the corridor looking incredible in a cream sweater and dark blue jeans. He grinned as her eyes swept up his body.
"Hi!" She smiled shyly. "Come in."
He stepped into the apartment and kissed her on the cheek. "I’m glad you suggested this. I have had one hell of a week and I really needed to get away." He held both her hands in his and studied her face.
"Hey Ell! Where is that turquoise sweater with the yellow stripe?" A voice yelled from the bedroom down the hall. Kevin jumped in surprise at hearing another person in the apartment.
Ellena laughed. "Oh yeah, by the way – we are not alone. That’s my best friend, Cherry."
"Lala! I spilled!" Lacey yelled from the kitchen.
"Ellena? Did you hear me?" Cherry yelled down the hallway again.
"Uh oh, Barbie got tomaters in her hair." Kevin’s eyes twinkled when he heard Lacey from the kitchen.
Kevin kissed Ellena again on the cheek. "You go that way, I’ll go this way. Maybe we’ll meet again." He squeezed her hands and then let go.
"Thanks." Ellena whispered and turned down the hallway before Cherry started yelling at her again.
Kevin found Lacey in the kitchen in a puddle of tomato sauce. She was dragging her doll through it making marks on the counter top.
"Hi Kevin!" Lacey said excitedly. "Look! Barbie is skating." Kevin’s laughter could be heard all the way down the hallway and in the bedroom.
"Is that him?" Cherry questioned.
"Yes, he just got here." Ellena answered, slightly muffled because she was in the closet searching for the dreaded sweater. "Here. I found it." She emerged and threw the garment at Cherry. Cherry unfolded it and pulled it over her head.
"Thanks for inviting me tonight Ell. I’ve been wanting to meet this guy who’s put the twinkle in your eye."
"Oh shut up. I don’t have a twinkle in my eye."
"Yes you do!" Cherry argued. She turned her friend to face the mirror. "Look. See? There it is."
Ellena smiled at her reflection. "Oh there." She said bashfully.
"Now come on and introduce me to this stud." Cherry put her hand on the doorknob to leave the bedroom.
"Oh Cherry? There’s something I should tell you before you meet Kevin." Ellena stopped her.
"Oh and what’s that?" Cherry asked.
"Well, he’s kind of famous." Ellena replied.
"What do you mean kind of famous? What’s his last name? Maybe I’ve heard of him."
"Richardson." Ellena replied.
"Kevin Richardson…" Cherry thought for a moment. "Nope! Doesn’t ring a bell…Kevin Richar – oh my god!" Ellena scrunched up her face in anticipation of what would happen next. Cherry punched her on the shoulder.
"Ouch! What was that for?" Ellena whined.
"That’s for not telling me you were dating – oh my god – Kevin Richardson. Oh my god! Kevin Richardson of the Backstreet Boys."
Ellena grinned as Cherry repeated "Oh my god." About forty more times. "He’s in the kitchen with Lacey right now. I’m going to go out and clean up whatever mess Lacey has managed to make. You can stay in here until you compose yourself." Ellena grinned evilly.
"I hate you, Ell." Cherry grinned.
Ellena opened the door. "You love me – I know you do!" She said with a wink.