- Text Size +
Ellena found Kevin and Lacey in the kitchen. Kevin had already cleaned up the tomato sauce off the counter and was washing Lacey’s Barbie doll in the sink.
“If you don’t quit playing with Lacey’s dolls, I’m going to buy you one of your own.” Ellena said with a smirk.
Kevin gave out a low chuckle. “I have absolutely no comeback for that.”
“Hmm speechless again?” She giggled while helping Lacey off her chair. “Lacey, go get Cherry. Tell her there’s someone I want her to meet.” Lacey ran out of the kitchen.
Thankful for a little time alone, Kevin moved closer to Ellena and rested his hands on her waist. Without a word, she circled her arms around his neck and ran her fingers through his hair. He lifted one hand to her face and tilted her head to meet his gaze. Her lightning-grey eyes stared back at him. He chose that moment to study them. He didn’t miss the play of emotions in her expression; passion, innocence, fear, trust and most of all vulnerability. Ellena closed her eyes as he ran his thumb over her soft pink lips.
“Cough cough ahemahemahemahem AHEM!” Both Kevin and Ellena turned to see Cherry standing at the door way with a wide grin on her face. Lacey was on Cherry’s back with her tiny arms wrapped around her neck. Cherry cocked an eyebrow at Kevin and gave a knowing look to Ellena. Lacey covered her mouth and snickered. Kevin stepped away from Ellena and dropped his hands to his sides. Ellena pushed away from the counter and stood between Cherry and Kevin. She discreetly flipped Cherry the bird.
“Cherry, I’d like you to met Kevin.” She said turning to Cherry. “Kevin, this is my best friend, Cherry.”
Kevin took a step towards Cherry and extended his hand. “Nice to meet you Cherry.” Cherry shook his hand and nodded.
Cherry grinned evilly and replied. “You’re blushing.” She said flatly.
“So are you.” He countered with a smile.
“Touché.” She laughed.
“Hi Kebin!” Lacey chirped and slid off Cherry’s back to the floor.
“Hi Kiddo! How are you?” He ruffled her hair.
“Good. Are you gonna help me make pizza monters again?” She peered up at him.
“Course I am!” He picked her up and set her on one of the barstools at the counter.
“Let’s make this one really really scary okay?”
The rest of the meal went off without a hitch. Cherry managed to maintain her composure and not dissolve into a puddle of screams and oh-my-god-it’s-Kevin-from-the-backstreet-boys’s every time she looked at Kevin. Around eight o’clock, Cherry got up to leave, saying she had an exam the next day.
After saying good bye to Lacey, she turned to Kevin, narrowed her eyes and pointed to him. “Don’t forget that there is a child in your midst. Keep it g-rated.” Kevin’s eyes grew wide.
“Cherry dear?” Ellena said sweetly.
“Yes Ell, honey?”
“Get out.”
“I’m going!” She giggled, heading for the door. “It was nice to meet you Kevin.” She yelled over her shoulder.
“Nice to meet you too.”
“I’ll see you at practice tomorrow morning Ell. Don’t be late.”
“Cherry?” Ellena chirped.
“Yes Ell?”
“Out!” She repeated and pointed to the door.
“Okay! I’m going! Gee! Tough crowd.” She giggled before she closed the door behind her.
Ellena sat back down on the couch and Lacey curled up beside her with her head on Ellena’s lap. Ellena pulled the blanket off the back of the couch and arranged it over Lacey’s tiny figure. She ran the palm of her hand across Lacey’s forehead to brush her blond curls out of her eyes. She softly hummed a melody that was unfamiliar to Kevin as she rubbed Lacey’s back. They sat in comfortable silence until the only sound in the room was Lacey’s rhythmic breathing. Ellena smiled up at Kevin and whispered that she was going to put Lacey to bed. She gathered Lacey into her arms, swaddled in the blanket and crept down the hall to Lacey’s room. She returned moments later.
“You look tired Kevin.” She stated matter-of-factly.
Kevin sighed and slouched further into the overstuffed cushions. “I had a crazy week.”
“I thought you were supposed to be on vacation.”
“We are but here are still appearances and interviews. I also work with a few charities myself. I never get a break.”
“I know how you feel.” Ellena replied grimly. “I’ve picked up more shifts at the club. Between that and practicing for cheer leader competitions, I barely saw Lacey this week.”
Kevin reached over and slid his arms around Ellena’s waist. He pulled her across the couch and into his lap. Ellena immediately brought her hands up to rest on his chest. “You work too hard Ellena. I don’t know how you do it all. Where do you find the energy?”
Ellena shrugged. “I do what I have to.” He was finding it hard to keep her mind on the conversation with Kevin’s fingertips drawing circles across the side of her neck and down her throat. “You’ve never told me why you feel it’s necessary for you to work three jobs.” Without waiting for a reply he dipped his head and tasted the tender skin at her collarbone. He felt her muscles go slightly rigid and he brought his head back up to look her in the eye. “Why are you afraid of me?”