- Text Size +
“I’m not afraid of you, Kevin.” Ellena’s eyes wrinkled in confusion.
“Then why won’t you let me kiss you? That first night we were out together you said you had never met a man with honorable intentions. Is that what you think of me?”
“No, Kevin. I don’t think that at all.” She whispered. She lifted her head back up to look in his eyes. “To be honest, I haven’t had feelings like this for a very long time. It’s a little overwhelming, considering the circumstances.”
“What circumstances might that be?” Kevin was curious.
“Nothing big really. Just the situation my life is in right now. You caught me completely off guard, Kevin, I wasn’t expecting something like this to happen.”
“Something like what?” Kevin continued to press for answers.
“Something like this.” Ellena slid her hands up Kevin’s chest to the sides of his face. She boldly kissed him on the mouth, pulling away before he could respond. “Something like this.” She whispered again and flicked her tongue against the length of his throat. “Something like this.” She kissed the tender skin of his neck below his ear.
Kevin closed his eyes as a moan escaped his lips. He twisted on the couch until she was off his lap. His mouth found hers and seared it with a hungry kiss. Ellena tilted her head to deepen the pressure. She whimpered softly when his tongue gently flicked against hers. With one arm around her back and one hand fisted in her hair, he followed her down as she lay back on the couch.
Ellena slowly unbuttoned Kevin’s shirt and pulled it open to reveal a taut, tanned chest. She ran her fingers lightly along the skin, giving him goose bumps. Kevin drew in a sharp breath as she found the ticklish area at his waist and let out a soft chuckle. Ellena grinned to herself and bent her head to kiss him again. His lips were like fire and they branded her mouth, then her chin, and then her throat. Down to her collarbone, Kevin trailed kisses and tasted her delicate flesh with is tongue and teeth. Ellena moaned and ripped open the remaining buttons on Kevin’s shirt. She pushed it over one shoulder and then the other until his biceps were exposed. Kevin’s fingers found their way to the hemline of Ellena’s sweater and folded it back. “Kevin.” She whispered between his kisses. His fingertips grazed her flat stomach and he felt her muscles tighten as she tried to sit up. “Kevin, stop.”
He half expected this. He had expected her to try to shut him out again, just as she did when he asked questions about anything personal. “Ellena, let your guard down to me. I won’t do anything to hurt you.” He breathed. Then he heard too.
“Lala! Where are you? Lala!” Lacey screamed from her bedroom. Kevin immediately sat up. Ellena leapt of the couch and ran down the hall to Lacey’s room. Lacey was screaming and thrashing about the bed. Ellena pulled the blankets away and gathered Lacey in her arms.
“Lacey, it’s okay baby. I’m here, I’m here.” Ellena soothed and rocked Lacey back and forth. Lacey’s eyes were wide as she whimpered and wrapped her arms around Ellena’s neck. She squeezed Ellena in a tight bear hug. “It’s all right baby, you just had a bad dream.”
Lacey nodded. “You left me all by myself. I yelled but you didn’t stop. I saw you out the window.” She started to cry. Ellena continued to rock her and whisper words of comfort.
Kevin ran his hands roughly through his hair and got up from the couch. He buttoned his shirt up and tucked it back into his jeans. What was he thinking? Ellena deserved better than a quick romp on the couch. He had started it by pressing her for too many answers. Shaking his head at his own zealous stupidity, he crept down the hall to Lacey’s bedroom door. He watched Ellena cradle Lacey in her arms. He had never seen a bond between a woman and a child so strong before. He was in awe and admiration of the intensity of the love that Ellena had for Lacey.
Lacey sniffed and lifted her head off Ellena’s shoulder. “Why did you go and not take me Lala? I wanted to go with you.”
“Shh shh Lacey. It’s okay. I’m here now. I’m not going anywhere without you.” Lacey laid her head back down on Ellena’s shoulder as she rocked back and forth. Ellena tightened her arms around Lacey’s tiny body and closed her eyes. “I’ll never leave you.” She promised. Her face etched with pain and a tear slid down Ellena’s cheek. Kevin fought the urge to go to her and kiss it away. He didn’t want to interrupt this precious moment. He wondered why such a beautiful promise would cause such a look of anguish on her face. Making sure that Ellena wouldn’t hear him, Kevin returned to the living room and sat down on the couch.
Ellena cradled Lacey until he was once again asleep. She lifted her back on to the bed and pulled the blanket up to her chin. She whispered good night and kissed her on the forehead. She returned to the living room and sat down in the chair across from Kevin. She was quite certain that if she had sat next to him again, she would have let him go much further than she was prepared to go at this moment. She realized for the first time that she had been crying and quickly wiped the tears off her face. Kevin chose to pretend he hadn’t seen her tears.
“Is she all right?”
“Yes, she’s fine. She won’t even remember in the morning.”
Kevin nodded, not sure of what he should say next. A moment ago they were at the edge of something magical. “Ellena, I’m not sure of what to say to you right now. I can see that there are so many things below the surface that you won’t or can’t tell me about.” Kevin got off the couch and dropped to his knees in front of her. “I don’t know if I could help you but I would do everything I could to try.” Ellena’s mouth opened to reply. He put his finger up to her lips to silence her. “No, don’t say anything.” He took her head in his hands and kissed her gently on the mouth. “I’m going to go. I’ll call you tomorrow. Please say you’ll think about what I’ve said.” Ellena nodded. Kevin kissed her one last time before he rose. Seconds later, Ellena heard the door close behind him as he left the apartment. Only then did she let her own tears flow freely.