- Text Size +
Three days had passed since Kevin had made his plea to Ellena. He had called her, just as he said he would. He hadn’t spoken to her though. He always got the answering machine. He left messages and his phone number but his phone never rang. Kevin was more frustrated than ever. The depth of the feelings that he had for her had completely blindsided him. He was worried that he was getting in over his head. He didn’t know very much about this woman and whenever he tried to learn more, he was met with a wall. He had decided to talk to someone about it. The first person to come to mind was Brian. Half way through the conversation, Kevin wished he had chosen to talk to someone else about it.
“Don’t tell me you’re actually considering having a relationship with this woman!” Brian asked incredulously.
“Yes, that’s exactly what I’m telling you.” Kevin replied, shocked at Brian’s reaction. “What would be wrong with that?”
“Where do I start? She’s a single mother, she works at a strip club…”
“First of all,” Kevin argued. “She’s not a stripper and the kid is her niece. I still don’t see what the big deal is.”
“The deal is you are a Backstreet boy. A Backstreet boy – if the press gets wind of this, do you know what they would do? Think of the fans Kev.”
“I’m tired of thinking of the fans. It’s time I thought about me for once. Don’t we all deserve a shot at happiness? Do you think I care if little Sandy Tweeters down the street kisses my poster every night and thinks she’s going to marry me someday? Get real Brian. Don’t you think there is more to our lives than the group?”
“No, right now my life is the group and I expect no less from the rest of you.” Brian stood abruptly and left the room.
Kevin let out a long breath. “No, tell me, Brian. How do you really feel?” He said sarcastically.
Maybe if Brian would spend a little more time around her, he would realize that she’s really a sweet girl. Maybe he would understand what it was about her that had Kevin completely hooked. Making up his mind that this was a good idea; he picked up his phone and dialed Ellena’s number. The machine picked up after two rings.
“Hi you’ve reached Ellena and Lacey.” Kevin chuckled to hear Lacey yell “Hiyeeee” in the background. “We can’t take your call right now but please leave a message and we’ll get back to you.” Kevin hung up. He had talked to her answering machine too many times since he had seen her last. Turning off his phone, he decided that he would go find her himself.

“Mrs. Craig, I managed to get Saturday night off to go to the Latin ballroom singles dance. Are you still coming with me? All my students will be there, including Mr. Reynolds.” Ellena wiggled her eyebrows at the woman across the table.
“Oh yes, dear, I’ll be there.”
“Great! You can be my date.”
“Tell me Ellena, why don’t you ask that nice young man who sent you flowers?”
Ellena grimaced. “I’m sure he’s busy and even if he isn’t, I doubt he would want to spend an evening ballroom dancing.”
“It sounds to me like you are making excuses.”
Ellena’s eyebrows shot up in surprise. “No! I’m not. I’m sure he has plans for Saturday night.”
“You’ve spent so much time and energy building up your defenses that you forgot about the rest. Ask him to the dance. I bet you he says yes.” Mrs. Craig’s eyes twinkled.
“I’ll think about it.” Ellena replied. “I really have to go now. I only have another hour before I have to go to work.” Ellena stood up and walked to the door. “Lacey! Time to go.” She called through the screen. Lacey’s tiny feet tramped up the stairs and through the door. “Do you hasta work tonight Lala?”
Ellena knelt in front of the child. “Yes, I have to work tonight. Cherry is going to take care of you okay?”
Lacey stuck her lower lip out in a pout and crossed her arms over her chest. “I don’t want you to work tonight. I want you to stay with me.” She demanded.
“I know honey. Soon I’ll be able to spend more time with you. I promise.”
Ellena picked her up and said good bye to Mrs. Craig. Lacey continued to pout all the way home. Ellena’s heart twisted at the sight of Lacey like this. Once they arrived in the apartment, Ellena checked her messages and Lacey disappeared into her room. Ellena had expected Kevin to call again, even though she hadn’t returned his three calls of earlier in the week. She picked up the phone and dialed Kevin’s number from memory. She heard a phone ring on the other side of the apartment door at the same time.