- Text Size +
“Hello?” Ellena’s heart melted at the sound of Kevin’s warm greeting.
“Kevin. Hi, it’s me. How are you?”
“Ellena? I’m fine. How-“
“Listen Kevin I’m sorry I didn’t return your call after what you said the other night. I wasn’t sure of what to say and I haven’t had time to take a breath in the last four days, much less have a decent phone conversation.”
“Are you at home right now?”
“Yes, but not for long. I have to be at work in an hour and a half. Are you-” She was interrupted by a knock at her door. “Can you hand on a sec? Someone just knocked on my door.” She set the phone down and went for the door. When she opened it, Kevin was standing in the hallway with his phone to his ear and a grin on his face.
Her face immediately brightened. She grabbed him by the arm and pulled him inside the apartment. Kevin found himself being squeezed in a tight hug. “I’m so glad you’re here. I’ve been so busy it’s been a little overwhelming.” Kevin brought his hands up to her waist and held her out at arm’s length. She looked tired and worn out.
He voiced his concern. “Ellena, how much sleep have you gotten in the last week?”
She shrugged. “Enough.” Kevin wasn’t convinced by her one word reply but chose to leave it alone, for now. A loud crash came from down the hallway. Ellena and Kevin both rushed around the corner to Lacey’s room. Books, dolls, and bedding were strewn everywhere across the room. Lacey was sitting on the edge of her bed, kicking her feet against the wall. Ellena went to her and sat beside her. She put her arm around her shoulders but Lacey shoved her away.
“Lacey, tell me what’s wrong.” Ellena bent down to pick up some books off the floor. Lacey slapped them out of her grasp and they fell to the floor again.
“I don’t want you to go to work.” She huffed. “I want you to stay here with me!”
“I know baby, but I have to work.”
“I don’t care.” Lacey screamed back. “I want you to stay here!”
Exhaustion and emotional stress was too much for Ellena to handle. Hot tears stung the back of her eyes and she blinked them back. “Lacey, please don’t be mad. I’ll be home on Sunday and we’ll spend the whole day together okay? We can go and fly the kite in the park.”
“No! I want you to stay home. I want to go fly the kite now.”
Ellena closed her eyes and took a deep breath. Kevin could tell that her patience were wearing thin.
“I’ll take you to the park, Lacey.” Both Ellena and Lacey turned their heads to face Kevin.
“You will?” Lacey asked hesitantly.
“Sure I will.” He smiled at Ellena who was staring at him in shock.
“Will you stay with me until Lala gets back?”
Ellena protested. “No, he probably has stuff to do and –“
“Sure I will. If it’s okay with Ellena.”
Lacey turned to Ellena. Her pout was replaced with the biggest pleading puppy dog look she had ever seen. She sighed, knowing that she had been defeated. “Yes, he can stay.” She said getting up. “I’ll go phone Cherry and tell her she doesn’t need to come.”
“Yay!” Lacey jumped off the bed and ran to her closet to get out her kite. Kevin helped her reach to the top shelf and get it untangled from the string. He heard Ellena moving about in the living room. After she had phoned Cherry, she didn’t come back into Lacey’s bedroom. Curious to know why, he left Lacey alone and went to find Ellena. He found her leaning against the kitchen counter with her head in her hands.
“Ellena? What wrong?” He brought her into a warm embrace and smoothed her hair with his hand.
“Nothing.” She sniffed. “I’m fine.”
“Liar.”
Ellena sniffed again and giggled at his accusation. “Thank you for doing this. I thought she was going to throw a five star tantrum in there. Are you sure you don’t have plans for tonight?”
Kevin shrugged. “I was hoping you would be free so we could all do something together but Lacey and I will be fine.”
“She’s right you know. I haven’t spent any time with her in the last week. There was a mix up at the club and I got more shifts than I was supposed to.”
“You’re doing the best that you can.” Kevin tried to comfort her.
“That’s the problem. My best has never been good enough.” Ellena rested her cheek against Kevin’s chest. She closed her eyes and listened to his heartbeat. It calmed her to hear the steady, rhythmic beat.
“Listen, Kevin. What are you doing on Saturday night? My Latin Ballroom class is having a dance and I have to be there. Would you like to come? It will probably be over early. It’s being held at a retirement home.” She lifted her head to look at him.
“That’s cool. Brian is having a party at his house that night. We can go there after the dance. I’ll pick you up.”
“Great! Oh and do you mind if my neighbour, Mrs. Craig catches a ride with us too?”
“Not at all. What about Lacey?”
“Unfortunately, I have to leave her here again.”
“How long do you have before you have to leave for work?”
Ellena glanced at the clock. “Thirty minutes or so.”
Kevin kissed Ellena’s eyelids and held her close to his chest. “Why don’t you go have a quick sleep before you go? I’ll take care of Lacey.”
Ellena gave him a tired smile and kissed him back. “As much as I’d like to take you up on that offer, I’d rather spent this next half hour with you and Lacey. I’ll sleep when I’m dead.” She laughed. She didn’t notice the concerned look on Kevin’s face.