- Text Size +
Ellena got back to the apartment late in the night. All was quiet as she dropped her bag in the front closet and took off her shoes. After a check of the kitchen and living room to find Kevin, she wandered down to Lacey’s room. She caught her breath when she took in the scene there. Kevin was stretched out on his back with his sock feet hanging off the end of the bed. He had one arm around Lacey and one arm hung off the side of the bed. Lacey’s favorite storybook was laid flat across his stomach, forgotten in his slumber. Lacey was snuggled under the blankets clutching her stuffed rabbit in one arm. Her head was resting on Kevin’s chest. Her little blond curls were fanned out across the dark fabric of his T-shirt. Although Lacey looked very content, Kevin looked a little cramped. Ellena pulled the blanket down and gathered Lacey into her arms. Lacey whimpered a little and Ellena quickly hushed her. Kevin rolled over and hugged the pillow to him. Ellena, trying not to giggle too loud, pulled the blanket over his body and switched off the lamp.
She walked into her own bedroom and put Lacey in one side of her double bed. She quickly changed into a nightshirt and crawled under the covers beside the little girl. She drifted off to sleep with the image of Kevin reading fairy tales to Lacey.

Kevin woke with a crink in his neck. His feet were hanging off the end of the bed and he realized that Lacey was gone and he had been covered up. Remembering that he had a group meeting early that morning, he decided he’s better leave, even though Ellena and Lacey weren’t awake yet. He stumbled into the kitchen and found a pen a paper. He scribbled a quick note to Ellena and left it on the table beside his cel phone. He found his jacket and car keys and quietly slipped out the door.

He arrived 10 minutes late for the group meeting. Brian glared at him when he opened the door and took a seat in the last empty chair.
“Hey Kev, ‘bout time you joined us.” Nick laughed and set a cup of coffee down in front of him. “What the hell happened to you? I tried to phone you this morning but your phone was shut off. You look like hell.”
“Gee thanks, Nick. I always feel so much better after your compliments.” Kevin ran his hands through his hair. He knew he looked awful. He was still wearing the clothes he had slept in and his chin was covered in day-old beard growth.
“Aren’t those the same clothes you were wearing yesterday? What the hell were you up to last night Romeo?” Nick teased.
“I see you decided against taking my advice.” Brian said flatly from across the room.
Kevin turned the chair to face him and answered. “I believe I only asked for your opinion, which I got. I didn’t ask for your advice.”
“You were only late ten minutes for this meeting. How long will it be before you’re missing them all together? How much of an interference are you going to allow this to be?”
“I’m not going to let that happen Brian.” Kevin leaned back in his chair.
“You already have.” Brian gave him a hard look before shifting his attention to the meeting that was taking place in their midst.

(****************)

The morning came too soon for Ellena. She managed to drag herself out of bed and into the shower before Mrs. Craig arrived. She discovered the note from Kevin in the kitchen.

Ellena,

I had to leave without saying good bye. I didn’t want to wake you. You don’t get enough sleep as it is. I’m leaving you my cel phone so I can hear your voice whenever I want. Keep it on and I’ll call you today.

Kevin

With the regional competition only a week away, Ellena made the girls work extremely hard that morning. The routine was perfect, she just wanted to make sure it stayed that way for the competition.
“Kristen! Keep your arms straight! Nicole! Make sure you tuck properly for the basket toss!” The dance team ran through their routine and music while she shouted at the little imperfections that could be improved. “Okay, one more time and you can hit the showers.” Ellena cued up the CD for one last play and pushed the play button. The music blasted the gym and the girls danced with all their energy. Noticing that the red light on Kevin’s phone was flashing, Ellena picked it up and shouted over the music.
“Hello?”
“Hey Ellena. It’s me.” Kevin was silent for a minute, listening to the noise in the background. “Where are you?” He questioned.
“Morning practice. Competition is in a week.” Ellen replied, not taking her eyes off the dancers. “Can you hang on a sec?” Ellen dropped the phone and yelled. “Charlene! That’s a slide to your left, not a bounce! Kristen! Straighten your arms!” Kevin chuckled as he listened to her shout orders. It wasn’t that much unlike his dance rehearsals. He heard the phone being shuffled around and Ellena came back on.
“Okay I’m back.”
“I know you’re busy. I just wanted to see how you were and tell you to have a good day.”
Ellena smiled at his thoughtfulness. “Well thank you. You just made my morning. - Cherry! Three steps to your right! – Sorry. Can I call you later tonight?”
“No, I’m booked for the rest of the day and all tomorrow too. I’ll see you Saturday when I pick you up.”
“Okay.” Ellena knew he could hear the disappointment in her voice. “Kevin, thank you for what you did lastnight.”
“Any time Ellena. Bye.”
“Bye.” She hung up and watched the girls finish their routine.