- Text Size +
A tapping on Ellena’s shoulder interrupted their reverie. Reluctantly, Ellena pulled her eyes away from Kevin’s and turned towards Mrs. Craig.
Mrs. Craig gave Ellena a knowing smile. “Ellena, dear, James has just gone to get my coat. We’re going to leave.”
Ellena grinned. “I knew you two would get along well!”
“Yes dear, you were right.” Mrs. Craig’s cheeks turned rosy-pink. “Nice to meet you Kevin and thank you both for bringing me with you tonight.”
“My pleasure.” Kevin replied, putting his arms around Ellena’s waist.
“You two look so darling on the dance floor together. Like you were made for each other.” Mrs. Craig stated with a glint in her eye. This time it was Ellena who blushed.
“Madeleine, I have your coat. Shall we go?” Mr. Reynolds helped Mrs. Craig put on her jacket.
Ellena gave Mrs. Craig a kiss on the cheek. “I’ll see you Monday.”
Mrs. Craig tucked her hand into the crook of Mr. Reynolds’s arm. “Good night!” The older couple said in unison. Ellena and Kevin both waved.
Ellena returned her eyes to meet Kevin’s. She pressed her body against the length of his. “Do you want to dance again or do you want to head to the party?”
Kevin chuckled. “I’d like to dance with you again but I’m afraid if I did, it might be more of a show than this crowd is prepared for.”
“Hmmm that could be…fun.” Ellena replied with a mischievous look. “Maybe we should leave.”
Kevin nodded.
Once they were in the car and speeding down the freeway, Ellena pulled Kevin’s hand into her lap and held it in both of hers. “Kevin.” She spoke very softly. “I want to tell you something.”
Kevin was a little taken aback at the seriousness of her tone. “Okay, what is it?” he asked with trepidation.
Ellena giggled. “Don’t look so scared.” He glanced in her direction and then back at the road ahead. “About what you said the other night…” She trailed off without finishing.
“Ellena, I didn’t mean to push you. I didn’t want to pry. It seems there is something right under the surface that you won’t tell me. If you don’t want to tell me, I understand, and I’m sorry that I made you feel that way.”
Ellena was silent for a moment. Was this guy for real? Was there actually sensitive, caring, understanding men in this world? He was right. There was something under the surface, something very ugly. She sighed at her fortune in finding Kevin – if he was for real.
“I’ve never met someone like you, Kevin. I’ve never met a man who treats me with such a tenderness that you do. It’s a very new and strange feeling for me. I’m usually very guarded around people. Ever since my mother died, I have found it difficult to trust people, especially men. The men in my life up until now have been less than trustworthy, to say the least. I feel that I can trust you and that scares me. I have been burned so many times by trusting the wrong person. If you are willing to have some patience and just wait a little longer, I will tell you everything. But I need a little more time.”
Kevin struggled to find the right words to reply. She had just left a piece of herself exposed to him. He could tell that she was not used to being this open and honest with anyone. He squeezed her hand in his.
“I’m not going to rush you into anything, Ellena. I won’t pry into anything that you aren’t ready to tell me.”
The rest of the car ride to Brian’s house was quiet. Both lost in their own thoughts. It seemed peaceful, nice, like they were comfortable just being in the each other’s presence. Ellena had kept her fingers laced through his for the entire trip. Kevin smiled to himself when he felt the shiver run up his spine. He had never met a woman who could give him chills with a mere touch. He drove the car through the large, wrought iron gate and up the driveway. Not wanting to let go of Ellena’s hand, he put the car in park and shut it off with his left hand. He shifted in the seat until his whole body faced the passenger side of the car. Kevin brought is hand up to Ellena’s neck and laced his fingers through the hair at the nape of her neck. She leaned closer and closed her eyes in anticipation of his kiss. She was not to be disappointed. Kevin gently tugged at her bottom lip with his teeth. Ellena’s entire body responded to him. She arched her back and pressed her body closer. She felt Kevin’s arm snake around her back as he deepened the pressure of their kiss. Ellena let go of Kevin’s hand and brought her hands up to his hair, where she fisted it in her fingers. Kevin’s hand rested on her leg just below the hemline of her dress. He slowly moved it up so that his fingers burned the skin underneath. Ellena untangled one hand from Kevin’s hair and moved it down to rest on his chest. She fumbled with the button at his throat until it opened. Her fingernails grazed across the small piece of his exposed flesh, sending more chills through him. A sharp knock on the window penetrated the silence that engulfed them within the vehicle. Ellena jumped and let out a shriek. Kevin straightened and turned to look out the window. Two distorted faces were pressed up against the window framed with two set of hands on each side.
“What are YOU doing?” Nick screamed through the window.
Howie squished his nose against the glass and gave them a huge, goofy grin. “Yeah Kevin. What are YOU doing?”
Kevin’s face broke into a smile and then a laugh. Ellena’s hands flew to her racing heart. He opened the door and got out of the car. Ellena heard him exchange a few muffled words with Nick and Howie amidst laughter. He walked around the car and opened her door. He held his hand out for her to take, which she did. She straightened her dress and smiled shyly at Nick and Howie. She knew that her face was the darkest shade of crimson possible. Her chest heaved with each ragged breath she drew.
“Hi Ellena.” Nick and Howie said in unison. All of a sudden they seemed embarrassed that they had interrupted. The two of them standing bashfully in the driveway reminded Ellena of Bud Abbott and Lou Costello. She started to glare at them but couldn’t keep a straight face long enough for it to be convincing. “Gawd! What the hell are you trying to do? Give me a heart attack?”
Nick feigned innocence. “We didn’t know you were in there. We thought the car was empty.”
Ellena raised one eyebrow and deadpanned. “Somehow I’m not totally convinced.” Kevin grabbed her hand and they walked together to the house. “So what is this party celebrating anyway?” Ellena questioned once they reached the front step.
“We’re celebrating the first Saturday of the week.” Howie replied matter-of-factly. He was leaning on the doorbell. The door was jerked open and Brian reached his hand around to take Howie’s finger off the button.
“I heard ya, man. Must you always do that?” Howie nodded like a child. Brian slapped him on the chest and motioned for the group to go inside. Kevin followed Nick inside with Ellena in tow. Brian greeted each person as they brushed past him. He was about to say something to Kevin when he took notice of Ellena’s presence for the first time. He scowled and turned on his heel. “Everyone else is downstairs.” He said over his shoulder.
Kevin pretended to ignore his rudeness and Ellena tried not to notice. “He seems nice.” She whispered to Nick on the way down the stairs. Her sarcasm was lost on him and he agreed.
“Yeah, he’s a really good guy.” Ellena rolled her eyes and decided to ignore Kevin’s rudeness. Maybe he was just tired, she thought. Certainly he didn’t mean to be rude to her – he didn’t even know her!