- Text Size +
People were scattered everywhere in the large, dimly lit room. Ellena recognized AJ playing pool with a girl and two other guys.
“Over there is Jimbo.” Kevin pointed to a man sitting on a couch. The man waved in his direction when he heard his name. “That’s Kathy, Charmaine, Steve, Christopher.” Kevin introduced her to several people whose names she immediately forgot. How was one expected to retain all that information?
“And this is Mitch.” Kevin slapped the large man on the shoulder.
“Oh yes, the security ogre.” Ellena grinned. Kevin started laughing. “Nice to meet you Mitch.” Ellena said shyly.
Ellena visited with Mitch for most of the night while Kevin did the rounds and mingled with everyone. Ellena found Mitch to be a very interesting person and they laughed all night at the tour stories he told her. The hectic schedule that Ellena kept that week had finally taken its toll on her. She was very tired and looked like a wilted flower. Her eyes scanned the room for a glimpse of Kevin but did not find him. She excused her self from Mitch and stepped out to the patio to get some fresh air. Leaning up against the railing, she was thankful for a little quiet. The party was getting quite loud and she felt an exhaustion headache coming on. It was a dark, moonless night and the stars twinkled in the midnight sky.
Ellena jumped as she heard a door slam to the side of the house. Two figures walked onto the grass in the yard. Ellena recognized the taller one as Kevin. Funny how she already knew how he moved. She wasn’t sure of the other’s identity until he started to talk.
“I can’t believe you brought her here tonight!”
“What is wrong with you Brian?” Kevin asked. “Why are you acting like this?”
“I told you what I thought of her.” Brian spat back. “Why did you bring her here?”
“Ellena didn’t do anything to you.” Kevin defended.
“She didn’t have to. I know her type.”
“And what type is that?” Kevin felt his anger flare.
“She’ll bat her eyelashes and pout her lips and win you over. Then she’ll take advantage of your name and fame and leave you. She’s a tramp.”
Ellena’s eyes widened and she covered her mouth to stifle a gasp. She didn’t want to hear anymore. She quietly slipped back into the house.
Kevin found her a few moments later, standing alone along the hall. “You look tired. Do you want me to take you home?”
“No, I’m fine. We can stay as long as you…” She finished the sentence with a yawn. Kevin grinned and put both arms around her waist. She rested her fore head on his shoulder. Out of the corner of her eye she saw Brian glaring at her from across the room. She quickly averted her eyes.
“I’m taking you home right now.” Kevin placed his hand on the small of her back and led her up the stairs.

~*~

As much as Ellena tried to forget what Brian had said about her, she couldn’t. She realized that she wouldn’t go through this world without having a few people dislike her but Brian hadn’t even taken the time to get to know her. Neither Kevin nor Brian knew that she had overheard their conversation outside. One thing that stuck out in her mind was the fact that Kevin had defended her. She wasn’t sure how she should feel. No one had ever defended her honour before. After hearing how Kevin defended her, she was now sure that she could trust him. She knew that she was ready to tell him everything. She was just waiting for the right time. Tonight had been close to perfect, save for the overheard conversation. She wouldn’t tell him tonight. It would wait for a while.
“You’re quiet.” Kevin observed.
Ellena laid her head back on the headrest and sighed. “Just tired, I guess. I’m so looking forward to having tomorrow off.”
“Did you have fun at the party?”
“Yes. Mitch is such a sweetheart. I suppose I could quit calling him an ogre.”
Kevin chuckled. “He probably would be offended if you didn’t call him an ogre. He’s got to keep his badass rep from being tarnished. Truth be known – he’s really a marshmallow but don’t let him know that you know that.”
“Hmmm…” Ellena closed her eyes.

~*~

Ellena felt a shock of cool air and a breeze blew wisps of her hair across her face. She groaned and tried to brush them away.
“Ellena, honey, wake up please.” She felt Kevin’s lips brush across her forehead. “Ellena, we’re home.”
Her eyes popped open and she immediately closed them to the brightness from the streetlight.
“Oh sorry! I fell asleep.” Ellena sat up and rubbed her face. Kevin helped her out of the car. Kevin steadied her on her feet and took her keys from her. He helped her up the stairs and into her apartment. She was so exhausted that she was stumbling.
“Ellena you have to stop working such long hours. You’re going to make yourself sick.”
“I don’t have time to sleep. I’ve got responsibilities to take care of.”
“You can’t take care of anything if you’re dead.” The concern was evident in Kevin’s voice.
“I’ve got all of tomorrow off. I’ll sleep in – I promise. Don’t worry about me, Kevin. I can take care of myself. I’ve been doing it for years. Are you coming for dinner tomorrow?”
Kevin frowned. “No, I can’t. We have a charity auction that all of us have to be at. Do you want to come too? You can bring Lacey and Cherry.”
Ellena shook her head. “No, I promised Lacey the whole day just us girls. You saw the fit she pitched this week. I can’t let her down again. I have another insane week so Sunday is just for her.”
“I wish you would come but I understand. Do you work on Monday?”
“Yes, dance team practice, then Latin ballroom and then the club.”
“Can I pick you up from the club?”
“Kevin you spoil me. I can just take the bus. You need your rest too. You don’t need to be driving around the city until all hours of the night just to pick me up.”
“I want to and don’t argue with me. I’ll pick you up Monday night at eleven.”
“You got it. See you Monday.” Kevin kissed Ellena on the forehead again and left.
As soon as Kevin closed the door behind him, Ellena stumbled down the hall to her room and fell into her bed, too tired to even change out of her clothes.