- Text Size +
Brrrring! Consciousness faded in and out for Kevin as he shifted on the narrow…bed? Brrring! Again the annoying sound interrupted his peace. Thrusting his hand out from under the thick quilt, he felt around for the offending object. Finding it, he cleared his throat and answered. “Hello?”
“Oh my. I think I’ve got the wrong number!” A woman with a soft British accent exclaimed into the receiver. “I’m so sorry to wake you at this hour.”
“Uh huh.” Kevin grunted, dropped the phone back on its cradle and immediately returned to his peaceful slumber.
Brrring! There it was again. Good Lord! All he wanted was to sleep. He had a screaming headache and a nasty, pasty taste in his mouth that he couldn’t figure out where it came from. Brrring! He didn’t try to answer it again. It was probably the woman with the wrong number again. Just let it ring, he told himself. It will quit sooner or later.
The sound of bare feet striking against the solid floor made him open his eyes a crack. Where the hell…? This most certainly was not his own bedroom in his own house. The footsteps came nearer and a vaguely familiar figure swished past him on the couch and picked up the phone. Oh yes, now he remembered.
Ellena. Beautiful, soft-spoken, tender, innocent Ellena. Last night she had been so strong. He could tell that she wanted to break down and cry into his shoulder but her stubborn pride wouldn’t let her. Instead they had poured more drinks and talked until the wee hours. He had been too inebriated to drive. That would explain the headache. He didn’t even remember falling asleep on the couch.
Ellena picked up the phone before it rang a fourth time and whispered. “Hello? …Mrs. Craig. How are you? …Yes, I overslept. I’m so glad you called.”
Kevin groaned inwardly and checked his watch – five a m. Oh my god its five freakin’ o’clock in the morning.
Ellena continued. “It completely slipped my mind that I was supposed to call you yesterday…yes I still need you to look after Lacey this morning. I’ll see you in twenty-five minutes. Thank you for calling.” She hung up the phone and started back down the hallway.
“Ellena?” Squinting in the sunlight that flooded the room, he sat up and threw the blanket – where did that come from? - off his still jean-clad legs.
She turned quickly, startled. “I’m sorry, Kevin. I didn’t mean to wake you.” She whispered. Damn he looked good, sitting there all rumpled and sleepy eyed.
“You didn’t. The telephone did.”
“Sorry.” She whispered meekly. “I didn’t expect you to still be here.”
Kevin thought that was a strange statement. “Did you want me to leave without saying good-bye?”
“No, I didn’t want you to, but I thought you would.”
“Why would I leave?” Kevin studied her movements. Ellena looked out the window, down to the floor, across the wall. She was looking at everything in the room except him. Gone was the confidence that he had come to know in the short time since he had met her. It had been replaced by fear.
“Because you know the truth now.”
“Ellena, none of what you told me last night was your fault. You did what you had to in order to take care of your family. I have nothing but respect for that.” Kevin rubbed his forehead and winced.
“Do you have a headache?” Ellena queried.
“Yeah, I don’t know what was in those paralyzers but I think I drank too many.”
A small smile played on her lips. “There is Tylenol in the cupboard behind the mirror in the bathroom. I’ll put some fresh towels in there so you can have a shower. I don’t mean to be rude and kick you out but my baby sitter is going to be here in twenty minutes and I have dance team practice.”
The hot shower made Kevin feel somewhat human again. He stepped out into the steamy bathroom and found a towel. Neatly folded beside the towel was his sweatshirt that he had lent Ellena the night of their first date. He smiled to himself as he remembered how it completely engulfed her trim figure. He pulled it over his head and breathed in the scent of lavender. Even though she had washed it, the scent of her still lingered in the fabric. He looked at his reflection in the mirror. Everything in his mind screamed at him to run - this girl has too many complications. Run! Run! Run before your heart gets involved. He scrunched his eyes shut hoping to lessen the pounding ache at his temples. Too late, Kevin. He thought to himself. Too late.
Moments late, he came out of the bathroom and noticed Ellena standing in the hallway. She was leaning against the doorframe of Lacey’s room. He wondered what was going through her mind at that moment. Her lips were curved into a soft smile as she watched Lacey sleep.
“Feeling better?” She whispered.
“Much. Thank you.” Kevin stood beside her in the doorway and pulled her in towards his body. Ellena hesitated slightly before relaxing and resting her cheek on his chest. “Do you think your brother will make good on his threat?”
Ellena winced and closed her eyes. “It’s hard to tell with Eric. He’s never kept a promise and I hope this time is no different. I couldn’t imagine what I’d…” She trailed off before she finished the sentence. They stood there in silence. Kevin comforting Ellena the only way he knew how and Ellena never letting her composure falter. A knock at the door echoed through the silent apartment. Ellena stepped away from Kevin and walked down the hall to answer.
“Hello Mrs. Craig. Come in. She’s still sleeping and probably will be for a while. You’re sure you’re okay to stay with her until four?”
“Oh, yes dear. Don’t you worry. You work too hard.” Mrs. Craig came around the door and into the living room where she was startled to see Kevin standing by the fireplace.
Mrs. Craig’s eyes crinkled at the recognition of him. “I didn’t call the wrong number this morning after all! Good Lord! I thought I was losing my mind!” Mrs. Craig exclaimed.
Kevin blushed at the remembrance of the phone call earlier that morning.
Ellena glanced at the clock on the wall and picked up her bag. “Oh my god. I’m gonna be late.” She turned to Mrs. Craig. “I’ll be at the school until noon. Then I’ll be at the club. Cherry will be here to take over from you as soon as she gets out of school. Thank you so much Mrs. Craig.” Ellena kissed her on the cheek. “Give Lacey a kiss for me.”
“You kids get going. I’ll be fine here.” Ellena followed Kevin as Mrs. Craig shooed them out the door.
Ellena giggled after the door shut behind them. “I wonder what’s going through her mind right now. Seeing a man at my apartment at five thirty in the morning.”
Kevin chuckled with her. “I can give you a ride Ellena. You shouldn’t be too late then.”
“Are you sure?” She asked.
“Of course.” He opened the door at the bottom of the stairs and bowed gallantly. “Your chariot awaits.”
Once they were seated in the car and driving down the street, Kevin broke the silence. “Can I pick you up from work tonight? Do you get off at eleven again?”
“That would be nice, Kevin. Thank you. Oh turn left at the next corner.” Ellena unbuckled her seat belt and pointed out the window. “Just let me off at this door. Thank you Kevin – for listening last night and for not … for not letting the truth make you think differently of me.”
Kevin reached over and cupped her chin in his hand. “Anytime Ellena. I’m here.” He leaned over and kissed her tenderly on the temple. She squeezed his hand before letting go and getting out of the car. “I’ll see you at eleven.”