- Text Size +
A week passed without another phone call from Eric. Ellena concluded that his threat to take Lacey away was another empty one and forgot about him. Cherry’s dance audition was coming up and Ellena concentrated all her energy on helping Cherry get it.
“Okay, just do everything like we practiced and you’ll be fine. Don’t be nervous and remember to smile.” Ellena gave Cherry last minute instructions before she went in to the studio for her audition. The stress was evident on Ellena’s face.
“Would you relax Ell? I think you’re more nervous than I am.” Cherry grinned and put her arm around Ellena’s shoulders.
“Sorry, I just know you’re going to get this. You’re going to be great.”
“Of course I am. You were my teacher.” The compliment was enough to send Ellena over the edge. Her chin started to tremble and tears spilled over onto her cheek. “Ellena, what’s wrong? You’ve been so emotional this morning. I’ve never seen you like this.” Cherry hugged her friend tighter. “You’re not pregnant, are you?” Cherry joked.
Ellena choked out a laugh through her tears. “I’m just so proud of you, hon. You’ve worked so hard for this. You deserve it.”
The large double doors to the theatre opened and a large woman dressed in shocking red strutted out. “Cherry Fischel?” The woman called.
Ellena wiped her eye with the back of her hand. “She’s here! She’s right here!” She piped up.
The woman turned in their direction. “We’re ready for you now Cherry.” She took her glasses off and squinted at Ellena. “Ellena O’Ryan? Is that you?”
Ellena froze in place. The woman walked towards her. “Please tell me you’re here to audition.”
“No Madame Corson. I’ve got a student auditioning today.”
“So you’re still dancing. I’m glad to hear that. You should be performing Ellena. We both know how good you are.”
“Thank you Madame but performing is behind me now.”
The woman looked unconvinced. She put her hand into the pocket in the gathers of her skirt and brought out a small white card. “If you ever want to come back here, you call me. I’ll pull some strings.”
Ellena accepted the card. “Thank you.”
Madame Corson peered at Cherry over her wire-frame glasses. “I have no doubt that the panel will be impressed by your student.”
“Neither do I.” Ellena stated confidently.
“Miss Fischel, follow me please.” Madame Corson turned with a swish of her skirt and opened the doors to the theatre. Cherry turned and gave Ellena a tight hug.
“Knock’em dead!” Ellena whispered.
Cherry’s audition seemed to take forever to Ellena, who waited in the lobby. Her heart was in her throat the whole time. Memories flooded her mind. Three years earlier it had been her in there dancing. Now she was on the outside looking in. It was the story of her life. Ellena furiously wiped away another stray tear that had found it’s way down her face. Cherry burst through the door later with a huge smile on her face.
“I did it! I did it! It was so perfect! I’ve never danced it that well before!” She absolutely glowed and Ellena couldn’t have been happier for her. “They said I’d get a letter within the week notifying me of how I did – but I know I did well!” She picked up Ellena and twirled around in a circle. Ellena let out a shriek and Cherry put her down.
“I knew you would. You’re going to be accepted. I can feel it!”
“I hope you’re right Ell.” Cherry replied.
“Let’s go out to celebrate! We should go dancing at Strobe’s!”
“Yeah but who are we going to dance with. I broke up with Scott.”
“I’ll call Kevin and invite him. Maybe he’ll bring a friend.” Ellena dug in her bag and produced a bright red cell phone.
“Are you still using Kevin’s phone?” Cherry questioned.
“No, this was a gift.” Ellena replied while dialing.
“Oooh, sounds like this is getting serious.” Cherry grinned.
Ellena smiled shyly. “It is – I think.”

By the time Ellena and Cherry went home and showered and changed, it was time to hit the club. Lacey was spending the night with Mrs. Craig and her other grandchildren. Lacey had been so excited at the opportunity to play with other kids. It made Ellena smile at the child’s zeal for life.
Strobe’s was packed full of people. Ellena surveyed the room hoping to catch a glimpse of Kevin over the crowd. She spotted him sitting at a table with Nick, AJ, Mitch and two more security ogres. Ellena pulled on the sleeve of Cherry’s dress and dragged her across the bar.
“Hi guys!” Ellena waved as she walked up to the table. She sat down on the booth seat and shoved over to be closer to Kevin. “Nick, AJ, Mitch, I’d like you to meet my friend, Cherry. Cherry – This is Mitch and I’m sure you know which is Nick and AJ.”
Cherry nodded.
“So, Kevin said you were celebrating tonight.” AJ shouted over the music, taking an interest in Ellena’s friend. Ellena turned her attention to Kevin as Cherry and AJ continued their conversation.
“Hi.” Ellena said shyly and kissed Kevin on the cheek.
“Hi.” Kevin replied. “I take it the audition went well?”
“It was fabulous. She was so great. She’s going to get in – I know it.” Ellena bit her bottom lip and looked away from him. Before he had a chance to question the emotions on her face, Cherry pounced on Ellena and gripped her forearm with both of her hands.
“Come on Ell! Let’s dance!”
Ellena grinned and allowed herself to be dragged to the dance floor rather than face the questions she knew were on the tip of Kevin’s tongue.
Once they were on the dance floor, Ellena started to talk. “What the hell are you doing? There are two very eligible, very beautiful men sitting at the table and you ask me to dance? What’s wrong with you?”
Cherry shrugged. “I didn’t want to seem like a dork. I just met them. Kevin is the only one I really know.”
Ellena’s eyes widened and she started to giggle. “Cherry, you ARE a dork. You choose the strangest times to get shy. Come on.” Ellena turned and headed back towards their booth. Once there, she splayed her hands across the tabletop and leaned in to the three occupants. “Okay men! We need dance partners. Get up and get yer butts on the dance floor.” She shouted over the music.
AJ started to laugh. “Does your friend prefer blondes or brunettes?”, referring to Nick and himself.
Cherry rested her chin over Ellena’s shoulder and replied. “I prefer Kevin.” She grinned and turned to Kevin. Kevin shrugged and smiled apologetically at AJ.
“Sorry guys, Cherry knows who’s the man!” Ellena, AJ and Nick watched as Kevin followed Cherry through the sea of people. Ellena donned an evil grin and leaned closer to Nick and AJ.
“Okay boys, shall we show them who’s got the moves?”
Nick raised an eyebrow and set his drink on the table. “Do you honestly think you can keep up with me, Ellena?”
Ellena tilted her head to one side and laughed. “Oh please Nick. I intend to dance the both of you into the ground.”
Nick and AJ exchanged devious snickers and stood up for the friendly challenge. Ellena put her hands on each of their chests and fisted the fabric of their shirts. “You guys are so beat.” She whispered as she dragged them to the dance floor.