- Text Size +
Nick lost the bet. Kevin took Ellena home, kissed her goodnight and left her apartment. He had promised her the night of Brian’s party that he wouldn’t rush her into anything. Truly, he longed to hold her in his arms. He longed to have her lay beside him in peaceful sleep. He longed to make love to her but he had promised and that made all the difference. Besides, Ellena was different than any girl he had ever met before. She was fiercely independent - something that was forced upon her rather than being a choice. Kevin was not about to force anything upon her. If and when she wanted him to make love to her, it would be her choice.
Kevin maneuvered his car down the quiet city streets as thoughts of Ellena turned over in his head. How was it possible that one delicate woman had been through so much without turning to stone? He knew Ellena. She was so kind, so gentle and so honest. He marveled that she was able to stay that way after living the life that she had. It would have made so many other people bitter, but not Ellena. She was special. Kevin realized, as he pulled his car into his own garage, that she was quickly becoming one the more important people in his life.
He walked up the deck to the back entrance of his house. The motion sensor flicked on the light. Kevin gasped and jumped back as a face came into view.
“Jesus Christ Brian! You scared the shit outta me! What the hell are you doing here?”
Brian aimed a stony glare at him that made Kevin uneasy. “We were supposed to meet tonight to go over a few things before the tour starts.”
Kevin brought his hand to his forehead. “Oh man! I completely forgot! Ellena-“
“Don’t mention that tramp in my presence!” Brian interrupted. “I should have known that it was her fault. She’s got you so wrapped around her finger, you can’t breath.”
Kevin narrowed his eyes. “This is not her fault. It was my fault that I forgot. It has nothing to do with her. I’m sorry that I stood you up. Do you want to go over it now, since you’re already here?” Kevin unlocked the door and motioned for Brian to follow him. Brian shook his head, his feet firmly planted in place.
“I can’t believe that would let this woman”, he said the word in pure disgust. “This woman come between us.”
Kevin stood in the doorway of his house. “I’m not. You’re the one that’s letting that happen.”
Brian gave Kevin one, last, hard stare, then turned and descended the steps and walked into the night.
Kevin watched Brian’s back as he strode across the grass. “Damn damn damn.” He muttered to himself.

~*~

“Is there anyone else who can watch Lacey on Saturday night?” Cherry asked between bites of fried chicken and coleslaw. Ellena, Lacey and Cherry were enjoying a sunny afternoon in the park before Ellena had to go to work for the evening.
“How come?” Ellena asked. She was spread out across the blanket on the grass, staring up at the clouds.
“I’ve got a date.” Cherry smiled ruefully.
Ellena bolted upright. “Who? Where’d you meet him?”
Cherry laughed. “Actually, you introduced him to me at Strobe’s.”
“Omigod – AJ or Nick?”
Cherry laughed again. “Neither.”
“What do you mean neither? There was no one else there!” Ellena exclaimed.
“Yes there was. I believe you refer to him as an ogre.”
Realization hit Ellena. “Oh shut up! You’re going on a date with Mitch?”
Cherry nodded and blushed. “He asked me when he drove me home that night. That is, we have a date as long as Kevin doesn’t need him for security purposes.”
Ellena giggled. “Seeing as Mitch is busy Saturday night, then Kevin can’t go out. Looks like I’ve found my babysitter! I’ll call Kevin tonight and make sure he doesn’t mind looking after Lacey.”

~*~

“Yeah, sure I can look after Lacey. I wish you didn’t have to work every Saturday Ellena.” Kevin spoke into his phone.
“Thank you – I owe you big. Can you come over around six? I’ll have to leave at six-thirty for work.”
“I’ll be there early and give you a ride to work. Lacey and I will hang out at my house. Sound good?”
Ellena smiled. “Yes, that would be great.”
“Look, I really have to go. We’ve got a lot to do for the upcoming tour. I’ll see you tomorrow night.”
Kevin shut off his phone. Brian cleared his throat behind him, which made Kevin jump. “Are you making a habit of scaring the shit outta me?”
Brian glared at Kevin disapprovingly. It seemed to be the only way that Brian ever looked at him lately, Kevin thought to himself. “So you’re ditching me again on Saturday night. I thought we were going to take care of a few things before the tour.”
Kevin looked at the ceiling. “Oh damn! I forgot again.”
“I figured as much.” Brian replied flatly. “Forget it. I’ll take care of it myself.” He turned to leave.
“No Brian wait! I’ll be at your place at seven-thirty tomorrow night.”
“I’ll believe that when I see it.” Brian crossed his arms over his chest.
“No really, I’ll be there.” Kevin promised. Brian grunted some response and left the room. Kevin turned his phone back on and started to dial. “Time to call in a few favours, boys.” He muttered as the phone began to ring.