- Text Size +
The knock on the door came precisely at six o’clock Saturday evening. Ellena’s heart jumped at the knowledge that Kevin’s smile and warm embrace were merely a moment away. She checked herself in the hall mirror and smoothed her hair down with her hand. She smiled to herself as she turned the doorknob and swung the door open. Her heart stopped at the sight in the corridor. Her eyes widened and the smile froze on her lips. “Eric.” She said, barely a whisper.
“What’s the matter Ell? Aren’t you happy to see your big brother?” A low voice boomed into the apartment.
“Daddy!” Lacey shouted from the kitchen. Seconds later she ran down the hall and catapulted herself into his arms.
“There’s my girl” Eric beamed and held her out at arms length. “You’ve grown so much!”
Ellena was unmoved by the touching reunion. “Yeah, kids do that in five months ya know.” She said sarcastically.
Eric’s eyes snapped at her. “Aren’t you going to invite me in?” He set Lacey down on the floor. She grabbed his hand and pulled him into the apartment. “Daddy, come see my room. Come on!” He flashed Ellena a sinister grin as he brushed by.
Ellena stood at the door for a full five minutes before she had gathered her wits about her. Questions jumbled in her mind and she knew that Eric would provide no answers even if she was to voice them. She walked down the hallway and overheard the conversation in Lacey’s room.
“I can’t stay long honey.” Eric said. “I have to go take care of some business.”
“Will you come back and play a game with me Daddy?” Lacey asked. Ellena held her breath, knowing what was coming. A promise destined to be broken.
“Of course I will. I’ll take you out to eat at a fancy restaurant and we can go to a movie.”
“Really?” Lacey asked excitedly.
“I promise.” Eric replied. Ellena cringed at his last two words. Eric stood up and came out of Lacey’s room. He nearly collided with Ellena in the hallway. “How’s work?” He asked, a mocking grin on his face.
“Fine.” She ground out through clenched teeth.
“Hello?” A voice called out from the entrance. Ellena realized that she had left the door open. Kevin entered the apartment. “Ellena? Lacey? Are you home?” Ellena couldn’t help but notice the hint of alarm in his voice.
“I’m here Kevin.” Ellena called softly. She walked towards him. He smiled broadly and pulled her into a tight hug. He felt Ellena tense up and pull away long before he wanted her to.
“Who the hell are you?” A low voice growled from behind Ellena.
Once Kevin was over the initial shock, he found his voice. “I could ask you the same thing.” Kevin replied, his green eyes glittered with instant anger.
“Kevin.” Ellena said with a false brightness. “This is my brother Eric.”
Eric sniffed. “Oh yes, Ken was saying there was a new stud sniffing around my sister.” Ellena seethed. It was so like Eric to visit Ken before going to see his own daughter. “You better watch it boy.“ Eric pointed his index finger at Kevin. “I wouldn’t want to have to defend my sister’s honour.”
Kevin stepped in front of Ellen protectively. “A damn fine job you’ve done of that so far.” Kevin leveled a glare at him.
Eric let out an ugly laugh. “I’ll be back Tuesday, Ell.” He said and left through the still open door.
Kevin wrapped his hands around Ellena’s forearms. “He didn’t hurt you, did he?” Ellena shook her head.
Lacey ran out into the living room, dragging her bright red kite behind her. “Hey Daddy, I hasta show ya sumthin’!” She looked at Ellena and then at Kevin. “Where’s Daddy?”
“Daddy had to leave honey.” Ellena said soothingly.
Lacey put her hands on her hips. “He didn’t say goodbye again!” She huffed.
“I know baby. He said he would pick you up Tuesday.” Ellena replied, her heart breaking a little more with each word.
“I’m gonna show him my kite!” Lacey beamed.
“I bet he would like that.” Ellena choked before her voice broke. She felt Kevin’s hand on the small of her back. “I’ll go get ready for work.” She whispered without looking at him. She rushed down the hall to her room.

~*~

On the way to the club, Lacey sat in the back seat of Kevin’s car and talked about all the things that she was going to do with her Daddy then next day.
“Daddy said he would take me to a movie!” She said excitedly. “I’m gonna have pockorn and lik’rish.”
Kevin reached over and squeezed Ellena’s hand. She had been understandably quiet since Eric had left the apartment.
“Do you think he’ll really show up Tuesday?” Kevin whispered.
Ellena shook her head. “Let’s not talk about this in front of Lacey, okay?”
Kevin agreed. He stopped the car in front of the club.
Ellena kissed both of them and got out.
“I’ll pick you up at midnight. Don’t wait on the street, I’ll come in to get you.” Kevin called through the car window. Ellena nodded and waved as he and Lacey drove off.