- Text Size +
Ellena helped Lacey into her pajamas and into the double bed in one of the four spare rooms in Kevin’s house. Lacey snuggled down further into the covers as Ellena tucked them closer around her tiny body.

Kevin had remained downstairs after they arrived at the house. He’d told Ellena to take whichever bedroom Lacey wanted and he would wait for her in the living room. He tried to sit still but his newfound knowledge about Lacey’s father had him furious. The thought of someone – anyone – touching precious Ellena in any other than a gentle way had him seething. He returned to the kitchen to pour himself a drink. The ice cubes fell into his glass with a clink. He splashed the bourbon over them and set the bottle on the counter with a loud thud. Kevin leaned on the cupboard with his hands splayed across the cool marble. He waited for his breathing to slow down. He raked his hands through his hair and took his glass outside. The air was thick and muggy. The humidity clung to his skin. He took a quick drink of the amber liquid and felt it burn his throat on the way down. He wondered, offhandedly, if Ellena would stay with Lacey that night or if she would finally choose to share his bed.
From the open window above he could hear Ellena speaking to Lacey in hushed tones.
“You know there is nothing to be afraid of here, right?” Ellena asked Lacey.
Lacey nodded. “Can we stay here?”
“Just for tonight sweetie, then we’ll go home tomorrow.” Ellena explained gently.
“Lala, are you and Kebin gonna get married?”
Ellena smoothed Lacey’s hair across her forehead. “Oh baby, you have so much to learn. Don’t grow up too fast, okay?”
Lacey was a little confused but nodded just the same. “Lala, will you sing to me?”
The soft melody floated down to the deck where Kevin mulled over the child’s innocent questions.

When you're close to tears remember
Someday it'll all be over
One day we're gonna get so high
Though it's darker than December
What's ahead is a different colour
One day we're gonna get so high
And at the end of the day remember the days
When we were close to the end
And wonder how we made it through the night
At the end of the day
Remember the way
We stayed so close to the end
We'll remember it was me and you
Cause we are gonna be
Forever, you and me
You will
Always keep it flying high in the sky
Of love …

A new and unfamiliar feeling of protectiveness came over Kevin. Suddenly he didn’t want this woman and child out of his sight. He set his unfinished drink on the deck railing and went back into the house. He slowly made his way up the stairs. He turned down the hallway and stopped in his tracks when he came to the doorway of the spare room. Lacey’s breathing was deep and rhythmic. Her eyelashes fluttered against her cheeks in peaceful slumber. Ellena was sleeping beside Lacey, cradling the child against her body. Her arm curled protectively around Lacey’s tiny frame. Kevin, his earlier anger forgotten, felt his heart swell at the tender sight. Ellena tightened her arm around Lacey as Kevin covered her with an afghan from the end of the bed. He turned off the light and retired to his own room, where he would lie awake all night, thinking of a way to keep Ellena and Lacey safe while he was gone on tour.