- Text Size +
Dance rehearsals for the tour started on Monday. On Tuesday, Kevin was still tired from not getting any sleep on the weekend. It didn’t help that Ellena had gone back to her apartment on Sunday night. No one has ever worried about me before. He thought about what she had said. Well all that was about to change.
He had spent the last two nights lying awake, doing just that.
Sheridan, their choreographer, had them practicing new dance steps. Brian had been having a small problem getting it completely right. Sheridan called a break so that he could work with Brian, one on one, for a few minutes. Kevin took the opportunity to phone Ellena. He let the phone ring four times and then expected the answering machine to pick up.
“Hello?” Ellena’s voice was quiet and strained. Kevin could tell right away that something wasn’t right.
“Ellena, sweetheart, what’s wrong?” Ellena didn’t answer right away. Instead, Kevin heard her whispering as Lacey’s sobbing became louder. “He didn’t show, did he?” Kevin asked, already knowing the answer.
“No.” Ellena answered, too miserable to say any more.
“Is there anything I can do?”
“Not unless you can find him and make him realize what a beautiful little girl he missing out on here.” Ellena was on the verge of tears herself.
“I can’t do that, Ellena. He has to figure that out for himself.”
“I’m afraid he never will. It’s almost too late now.” Kevin heard Lacey whimper Ellena’s name as Ellena shifted the phone. “I have to go Kevin. She’s been crying all morning. I think she’ll cry herself to sleep if I put her to bed.”
“Yeah, me too. We’re about to start dancing again.”
“Oh how’s that going?”
“Fine. The new choreography is really intense.”
“Need any one on one tutoring?” Ellena asked, trying to lighten the mood.
“Not for my dancing, but I’ll take you up on the offer anyway. On the other hand, Brian could use a little help.”
Ellena’s mood darkened again at the mention of Brian’s name. “Yeah, I bet he’d like that.” She said dryly. This was the first time Kevin realized that Ellena was aware of Brian’s feelings towards her.
“He’s not a bad guy Ell, really he’s not.” Kevin defended. After all, Brian was his best friend, even though he had been acting like an ass lately.
“Does he know that?” Ellena asked sarcastically. Kevin didn’t answer. “Maybe someone should remind him.” She snapped, immediately regretting it. “Kevin, I’m sorry. I’m just mad at Eric. He’s broken Lacey’s heart so many times. She’s just a little girl. She’s so happy and innocent and…and…perfect. How can he not want to be a part of her life? I don’t understand it, Kevin. As hard as I try to, I can’t.”
“I can’t either, Ell.” Kevin replied. He could hear Ellena crying now too.
“I should go.” Ellena sighed and hung up the phone.