- Text Size +
Since the regional dance competition was over (Ellena’s team placed second), and school was out, Ellena had more time to spend with Lacey and with Kevin. She had taken a few extra shifts at the clubs but managed to keep at least one day a week open strictly for that purpose.
The rift between Kevin and Brian had become bigger and was no longer easily ignored by the other members of the group. Ellena and Lacey had become permanent fixtures in Kevin’s life in the weeks leading up to the tour. Howie, AJ and Nick had accepted Ellena and Lacey, much to Brian’s chagrin. In fact, AJ seemed to dote on Lacey like a little grandmother. One afternoon when Kevin had picked Ellena and Lacey up for lunch, AJ actually volunteered to hang out with Lacey for the afternoon so as to give Ellena and Kevin some time alone. Unfortunately for AJ, he hadn’t learned anything from the last time Lacey stayed with him and Howie. Ellena began to protest when AJ presented Lacey with a tutti frutti lollipop bigger than her head. Kevin shushed her, stating that AJ would learn the hard way and escorted her out to his car.
“Where are you taking me?” Ellena asked as Kevin maneuvered the car down the highway.
“Well, I was going to take you to the look out where we went on our first date but it’s starting to rain so I’ve made a change of plans. I have one quick stop to make and then we’ll go to my place.”
Kevin stopped at a corner store and came out with two bottles of wine. He smiled at Ellena when he returned to the car and then, as promised, drove the rest of the way to his home.
Ellena had been to his house before but hadn’t really paid any attention to the décor. She had been to busy worrying about Lacey. And they had spent most of their time in the kitchen and outside in the yard. His house was not what Ellena had expected. It was a modest, four level split, tastefully decorated with expensive wool carpets and hardwood floors. Curious knick-knacks filled several shelves along the walls. The living room housed a gleaming baby grand. The red brick fireplace cast a warm glow across the sunken bamboo floor. A thick Oriental rug stretched across the floor in front of the hearth. Behind the carpet, sat an ivory, overstuffed sofa that made Ellena afraid to bring Lacey into the room. She would have muddy footprints on the cream coloured leather in record time. Kevin motioned for her to follow him into the kitchen. Green marble countertops capped rich oak millwork. Copper kitchenware dangled artistically from the large bakers rack hung over the island in the centre of the room. (Authour’s note: Hmmm guess what I do for a living?)
“You have a beautiful home, Kevin.” Ellena said, taking a seat at the island bar.
Kevin shrugged. “It’s okay. I don’t spend a lot of time here. Sometimes it doesn’t even feel like a home.”
He uncorked a bottle of wine and splashed the burgundy liquid into two large crystal goblets. He offered one to her, which she took and tasted. “It seems to be missing something.” He added, leaning against the counter beside her.
“What’s that?”
“Noise.”
“Noise?”
“Yes, noise. After years of touring with so many people, I’m not used to the quiet.”
Ellena grinned. “Well if it’s noise you’re looking for, I could pack up Lacey and move in. You’ll be begging for silence after a week.”
“I seriously doubt that.” Kevin’s penetrating gaze met Ellena’s grey eyes. “Would you like to?”
Ellena’s eyes grew bigger at his proposition. “Oh whoah! Time out Kevin. How can you ask me that?”
“Easy – just like this – Ellena, would like to bring Lacey and come and live here, with me?”
Ellena looked away from him. Kevin took her hands in his. “I’m leaving on tour soon. You and Lacey could have the house to yourselves for three months. It would give you time to get settled in before I came back.”
“Kevin, I couldn’t. Lacey is my first priority. I don’t think it would be a good influence on her for us to be shacking up.”
Kevin frowned. “You make it sound so cheap.”
“Okay, poor choice of words. What I mean is I have to think of Lacey first. You know that Kevin.”
“I am thinking of her. Let’s face it Ellena, the area of town you live in isn’t exactly greatest place to raise a child. At least I’d know you were safe here.” He argued.
“I appreciate the offer Kevin, I really do but – “
“Don’t make this sound like a business deal.” The anger rose in Kevin’s voice. “I just want to help you, Ellena.”
“I’m not a charity case Kevin.” Ellena’s eyes glittered.
“That’s not what I meant. Let me take care of you. I’ll pay off the debt to Ken and you can get a better job teaching dance like you’ve always wanted.”
It was Ellena’s turn to be angry. “There is no way you are going to pay any of my debt! I can’t believe you would even think I would agree to that!”
“It’s not even your debt Ellena! Eric has pulled you into the vortex and he’s dragging you down with him. I care too much about you to see that happen.”
Ellena swallowed her angry comeback at Kevin’s confession. She stood up and took the wineglass out of his hand. “I don’t want to fight with you, Kevin. Kiss me and pretend we didn’t even have this conversation.” She pleaded.
Kevin’s face softened. “You’re right. I’m sorry.”
“For what?”
“For the fight we just didn’t have.”
“Forget it. I have. Now kiss me.”
Kevin grinned. His lips and teeth were stained a dark red. “Getting impatient, Ellena?” He teased.
“Very.” She replied. Kevin picked her up by the waist and set her on the countertop. He pushed her knees apart and wrapped his arms around her back. His mouth descended up on hers hungrily. Ellena parted her lips to Kevin’s gentle prodding. He brought her tongue back into his mouth and sucked the wine taste from it. Ellena moaned softly.
Kevin pulled away and smiled at her. “I could drink wine like that all day.”
Ellena reached across the island and retrieved the wine bottle. She refilled both their glasses and took a sip of hers. “Ready for another taste?”