- Text Size +
The afternoon flew by in a whirlwind of stolen kisses. When five o’clock arrived, Ellena didn’t want to get up. She and Kevin were lying in each other’s arms in front of the fireplace in the living room. Ellena had her head resting on Kevin’s chest. Kevin could feel the warmth of her cheek through the thin fabric of his shirt. They had been talking for hours. There was so much that he still didn’t know about her and so much that she wanted to learn about him. The conversation revolved around their own lives – Ellena’s dreams and aspirations for Lacey, Kevin’s ambitious business ventures. Funny, Kevin thought, how Ellena spoke of her dreams for Lacey but never her dreams for herself. He was saddened to realize that Ellena no longer had dreams for herself. People like Eric and Ken had done everything they could to steal them away.
The ride back to AJ’s was quiet. Each was thinking about what they had learned of the other person that afternoon. Kevin was the first to speak.
“Have you talked to Ken about getting time of to join me on tour?”
Ellena grimaced. “Yes, and I hate to say I told ya so but I did.”
“He said no?”
“Yes, he said there wasn’t anyone to take over my shifts and…” Ellena trailed off.
“Go on.” Kevin encouraged.
“And he said if I went, he would add more to the debt that I would have to work off.”
“Ellena, he can’t treat you that way. If you would just let me-“
“No! Kevin, we already discussed this and I said there is no way that I will let you pay off that debt. It is my business and I’ll deal with it. Please, this afternoon was so wonderful, I don’t want to ruin it by arguing.”
When Ellena and Kevin returned, Lacey was using AJ as her own personal jungle gym.
“Have you learned why I don’t give her any sugar yet?” Ellena giggled as Lacey wrapped her arms and legs around AJ’s left ankle and commanded him to walk.
“I’m beginning to understand.” AJ grinned and dragged Lacey across the floor of the kitchen.
“Lala! HeyJay teached me a new song!” Lacey shouted from AJ’s feet.
“Did he? Sing it for me!”
Lacey grinned up at AJ. “Okay HeyJay, you start!”
AJ looked at Ellena bashfully and smiled genuinely. “You have quite a kid, Ellena.”
“Yeah, she’s pretty special huh?” Ellena replied.
AJ nodded. “Okay Lacey, let’s try Ellena!”
Lacey and AJ started singing the name game together. “Ellena Ellena bo bellena banana fanna fo fellena mee mi mo mellena Elleeeeeeeeeeeeena!”
Lacey exploded into fits of giggles. “Let’s try Kebin!”

~*~

“Oh Ellena I think I’m in love!” Cherry gushed across the table. It was Thursday afternoon. Cherry was over to watch Lacey while Ellena went to work. “Mitch is so amazing. He’s so sweet! He calls me almost every day just to say he’s thinking of me.”
Ellena grinned at Cherry’s starry eyes. “That’s so great Cherry. I’m happy for you.”
“So tell me about you and Kevin…is it love or just lust?” Cherry smiled wickedly.
“Cherry! You know me better than that!”
“Well, I was just asking. So what’s up with you two?”
“He asked me to go on tour with him for a couple weeks. I couldn’t get the time off from work though so I’ll just have to wait until he gets back.” Ellena said with a tinge of sadness in her voice.
“Well that’s crappy. Damn Ken Dahl and that entire strip club. I’d like to see his head on a stick.”
Ellena giggled. “That would be the happiest day of my life!” Then she grew serious again. “Kevin asked me and Lacey to move in with him.”
“Oh my god! When are you moving?”
“I’m not. I told him no.”
“You what? Are you serious? What the hell did you do that for?”
“Several reasons actually. First of all, he’s going on tour in a few weeks. I don’t want to be left in a strange house. Cherry, what do you think would happen to Kevin’s rep if anyone saw an unknown woman and a young girl living in his house when he was on tour? Rumours would fly like crazy! I don’t want to do that to Kevin.”
“Ellena, obviously Kevin thought about those things before he asked you and decided you were worth the risk. Why can’t you accept the fact that this man might be in love with you?”
“I don’t need a man in my life right now. I said that before-“
“Who are you trying to kid? You don’t need any man in your life right now – I agree. You need Kevin Richardson in your life. Admit it! Why are you making excuses?”
“I’m not making excuses. I’m just trying to do the right thing for Lacey.”
“You’re using Lacey as an excuse because you’re afraid to be happy. You’ve spent so many years building up your defenses that you’ve forgotten about the rest – you’ve forgotten how it feels to be loved.”
“So you think I should have said yes to moving in with him?”
“It doesn’t matter what I think. It doesn’t matter if I disagree with your reasons for not doing it – only that you think they are valid reasons.”
Ellena thought about that for a moment. Cherry was right, she had been making excuses. She wanted nothing more than to see Kevin every waking moment, but there were so many things to worry about - in her and Kevin’s lives.