- Text Size +
“Hi! I’m Ellena O’Ryan. I’m here to meet Kevin Richardson.” Ellena smiled at the receptionist behind the dark mahogany desk.
“Oh yes, Ms. O’Ryan. Kevin asked me to send you right in to the studio. Down the hall, two lefts and through the glass doors.”
“Thank you.” Ellena replied. Taking Lacey’s hand into her own, Ellena followed the receptionist’s direction. Kevin was leaving for tour in two weeks. He asked Ellena and Lacey to meet him at the studio so they could do something together that evening. Ellena had a rare free night and was looking forward to being with both Kevin and Lacey. Ellena heard the music before she opened the door to the studio. She opened the door and waited for Lacey to enter the room before she closed the door behind her. Their presence had gone unnoticed. Five men danced to the music while another watched intently. The sixth would shout orders occasionally. The beat of the music got to Lacey and she began to dance in the corner while Ellena sat on the floor. Sheridan called the guys for a break and talked to them in a huddle at the other end of the room. With the music still playing, Lacey danced on. Ellena giggled at Lacey’s exaggerated expressions – how funny is it to see a three-year-old sing ‘am I sexual – yeah!’?
Lacey spun around and Ellena helped her with the dance steps that she missed. As the music ended, Lacey had all but memorized the dance steps that the five men at the other end of the room had been working on for two days. Nick and AJ watched Lacey jump up and down as Ellena spoke softly to her.
“Always remember to bow after your performance, Lacey. Your audience must be given the chance to show their appreciation.”
Lacey pulled her feet together and bowed to all four corners of the room. Ellena then realized that they were being watched. AJ and Kevin clapped for Lacey. Ellena picked up Lacey and walked over to them.
“Sorry, I didn’t mean to interrupt.” She said to AJ.
“You didn’t. We just finished.” He held out his hands for Lacey, who went willingly into his arms. “That was pretty good dancing little lady. Who taught you that?”
“Lala did. I’m gonna be a dancer when I grow up!”
“Wow, really?” AJ grinned as Lacey nodded emphatically.
Nick called over to Brian, who was still running over a few dance steps. “Hey Bri, you should take some pointers from Ellena – she could teach you a thing or two.” He teased.
Brian scowled. “Yeah, I’m sure she could teach me many things that I’ve never seen before.” He flashed Ellena a sardonic grin. His meaning was not lost on Ellena and she felt her blood start to boil.
AJ, Howie and Kevin had been listening to Lacey ramble on about what she was going to be when she grows up. Brian made eye contact with Ellena and raised his eyebrow as if to challenge her to say something back to him or to tattle to Kevin. Nick had heard what Brian said - but Nick was Nick - and Nick didn’t sense the animosity between them. When Ellena remained silent, Brian mumbled something to Nick and left the studio. Ellena’s cell phone let it’s presence be known to the group. She pulled it off her belt and stepped outside the room for privacy.
“Hello?”
“I hear music in the background little sister. Are you at work or giving your new boy toy a private lap dance?”
“You have some nerve phoning me like this after ditching Lacey the way you did.”
“Lacey is young and she’ll get over it. She probably doesn’t even remember now. Don’t get so worked up about it, little sis.” Ellena cringed. She hated it when he called her that and he knew it. He had never treated her the way a big brother should take care of a younger sister. Ellena felt her temper rise.
“It’s all or nothing Eric. Either you start being a real father to her now or you can’t see her anymore.”
“Are you threatening me?”
“You bet your ass I am.”
“You seem pretty sure of yourself Ellena, maybe you should back down a little before you say something you’ll regret.”
“When it comes to Lacey’s happiness and well-being – I regret nothing!”
“Don’t you forget you said that, Ell. I’ll see you around.” Eric hung up.
Ellena screamed in frustration and then cradled her head in her hands. “How can I be related to such a cold, unfeeling bastard?” She said into the empty hallway.
“I don’t see how you are that much different.” A voice snapped behind her.
“Brian! I thought I was alone.” Ellena glared at him.
“Apparently. You wouldn’t want Kevin overhear you try to pawn Lacey off to an unfit father.”
“I wasn’t –“
“Trying to get her out of the way so you can concentrate all your energy on manipulating Kevin?”
“How can you say such a thing? The last thing I was trying to do was get rid of Lacey! She is my life!”
“You may have Kevin fooled but you can’t fool me. I know what you are.”
Brian was standing in front of the elevators wearing blue jeans and a sardonic grin. The indicator light came on with a faint bell ring and the doors parted. Ellena stepped between Brian and the open elevator before he could gain entrance.
“Brian, I know you don’t like me. Truth be known, you aren’t my favorite person in the world either but let’s get one thing straight. There is a little girl in there that is extremely impressionable right now. She’ll learn how to disrespect people soon enough on her own. I don’t want her learning it from you and me. If we can just agree to be civil to each other in her presence, that’s all I ask.”
“Oh how noble.” Brian sneered. “Do you not realize how much of a hypocrite that makes you?”
“Excuse me?” Ellena asked in disbelief. “How so?”
Brain snorted. “You run around talking about how morally conscious you are and how you want to raise Lacey with such strong values when you’re obviously sleeping with Kevin. What does that teach your young, impressionable girl?” Brian narrowed his eyes. He took a step closer to Ellena and jabbed a finger at her chest. “The only thing that little girl is going to learn from you is how to turn tricks.” Brain braced himself. He fully expected her to slap his face – he knew he deserved it. The slap didn’t come, instead, the corners of Ellena’s mouth turned upwards and she started to laugh. “Finding this amusing?” Brian asked, getting madder by the minute.
“Yes, now that I know what this is about. You think I’m sleeping with him.”
“If that’s what you call it.” Brian said flatly.
“Would you prefer the term fucking?” Ellena asked.
“I call it as I see it.”
“Kevin’s a big boy. He can take care of himself.”
“Kevin doesn’t know what you really are – I do.”
“Oh that’s right.” Ellena said with a mocking grin. “Tramp – I believe is the term you used the night of the party.”
“Tramp, gold-digger, call-girl…” Brian shrugged. “Pick one.”
“As if Kevin’s sex life is any of your business. He and I are not sleeping together.”
“Yeah whatever you say Ellena.”
“You know, I’m not going to stand here and waste my time trying to defend myself. You’ll never believe me anyway.”
“You got that right.”
The sound of small feet running down the hallway made Ellena look away from Brian’s angry glare.
“Lala! Kebin says we’re goin’ out for supper.”
Ellena scooped Lacey into her arms. “HeyJay and Nick and Wowie are comin’ too.” She peered up at Brain. “Are you gonna come Bwian?”
Brain looked down at Lacey’s cherubic face. She really was a sweet kid. He couldn’t be mean to her. It wasn’t her fault she had a slut for an aunt.
“No, sorry. I have a lot of things to do tonight.” He reached out and tussled her blond curls. “Have fun though okay?”
Lacey nodded. Brian brought his eyes to meet Ellena’s again. She mouthed a silent thank you and gave him a small smile. It wasn’t exactly a truce but at least Lacey wouldn’t have to see them exchange angry words. Brian stepped in to the elevator and the doors closed.
“I like him.” Lacey stated matter-of-factly.
“Ya do huh?” Ellena sighed.