- Text Size +
Ellena let out a contented sigh and closed her eyes. A light breeze blew across the yard, cooling her skin. She opened her eyes again and looked out over Kevin’s yard. The shrill ring of Kevin’s cordless phone made her jump. She stood and walked over to the patio table where it sat.
“Hello?” She answered, expecting it to be for Kevin.
“Ellena dear, so nice to hear your voice.” The voice on the other end was sickly sweet and insincere.
There was a brief silence as Ellena struggled to find her voice.
“Eric! How did you get this number?” She whispered desperately.
“Don’t underestimate me, little sister. It would be a big mistake on your part to do so.”
Ellena cringed. “What do you want?” She asked, as calmly as possible.
“I’ve got a new job.” He announced.
Ellena’s voice remained flat. “How nice for you. Congratulations.”
“Aren’t you happy for me sis?”
“Ecstatic. I can only imagine how legal it is. That still doesn’t answer my question.”
“Patience sis, I’m getting to that. I’m taking Lacey with me. I’ll be at your apartment at ten o’clock. Make sure you have Lacey’s things ready to go.”
Another long silence followed. “What? What?…Eric, what are you saying?”
“I’m saying that I don’t believe you have been a fit caregiver for my little girl. I’m taking her to live with me.”
Ellena felt as though she had been kicked in the stomach. Her eyes darted towards the door of the house. She wanted to scream to Kevin but couldn’t find the words. “Eric, you can’t do this. You can’t take her away.”
“She’s my daughter, Ellena. I think I know what’s best for her.”
“No! No, you don’t! She is my daughter! It’s my hand that dries her tears, it’s my mouth that kisses her good night – she barely knows you.”
“Well I think it’s time she got to know her own father, don’t you?”
“I did everything you asked. I took the extra shifts at the club. I’ve worked off your debt for three whole years Eric. You can’t take her away from me!”
“You knew this day was coming. You should have worked harder to keep her, Ellena. You shouldn’t have threatened me.”
“And what about Lacey’s family? I’m the only family she’s ever known.” Ellena felt herself on the edge of hysteria. She raised her voice. “Eric, please don’t do this.” She begged.
Brian arrived at the house in the middle of the phone call. He ran up the stairs to the deck and stopped short when he heard Ellena shouting into the phone. He crossed his arms over his chest and watched in amusement.
“Please Eric.” She continued, unaware of Brian’s presence. “You can’t do this to me.”
Eric gave an ugly laugh. “Oh yes I can and I will – ten o’clock. Have my little girl ready.” He hung up the phone.
Ellena stared at the phone in her hand. Her complexion had changed from a healthy pink to a gray ash in mere moments.
“What’s wrong Ellena?” Brian raised an eyebrow mockingly. “Did an old trick of yours catch up to you?”
Ellena brought her eyes up to meet his. As much as Brian didn’t like her, he could immediately tell that something was terribly wrong. He almost felt sorry for her – almost.
“Kevin…Lacey…” She took a few trembling steps towards Brian. “Kevin?” She tried to focus her eyes but she couldn’t. Her vision became watery and blurred.
“What the hell is wrong with you?” Brian asked, immediately becoming angry. He had no patience for this woman and her antics. “It’s Brian. Can’t you see?”
“No, I can’t see you… where… are… you?” She whispered between gasps for air. Her peripheral vision clouded over. An icy hand gripped Ellena’s throat and curled its fingers around her windpipe. She reached out to Brian but grasped at nothing. Her knees buckled as her entire world came crashing down. Ellena was engulfed in darkness.
Brian went from being pissed off to confused in less than a breath. He crossed the deck in one stride and managed to catch Ellena before her head hit the patio chair. He started screaming her name and then Kevin’s, hoping someone would hear him.