- Text Size +
Less than ten minutes later Ellena came back into the living room. She smiled softly to herself when she saw Kevin studying a picture on the mantle.
“She’s beautiful. Who is she?” Kevin questioned Ellena.
“She’s my mother. Yes, she was very beautiful.”
“Was?”
“She passed away when I was sixteen.”
“Oh, I’m sorry.”
Ellena smiled hesitantly. “You sure apologize a lot.”
Kevin blushed and sat in the chair across from her. “Sor- I mean um…I’ll try to stop that.” He replied sheepishly. “Lacey is already asleep?”
“Yes, she is. It doesn’t take her long.” Ellena sat on the couch and curled her legs up underneath her.
“I heard you singing.” Kevin smiled.
Ellena blushed slightly in embarrassment. “I didn’t realize my voice would carry out here!”
Kevin chuckled. “Don’t be embarrassed. It was a beautiful song. Where did you learn it?”
“It’s a traditional Irish lullaby. My mother used to sing it to my brother and I.”
“You have a brother? No sisters?”
”No, unfortunately I have no sisters. I sometimes wonder how different my life would be if I had a sister. Younger or older, sisters just have that…that best friend bond.”
“I take it you are not close with your brother.”
“No. We used to be but…well…stuff happened and now we aren’t anymore.”
“What about your father?”
“I never knew my father. He left my mother and brother before I was born.”
“I’m sorry.”
“There you go apologizing again.” Ellena scolded.
“Sor- I mean - I don’t understand how some men can leave their families like that.”
“He wasn’t a man. He was something less. Real men…don’t leave.” Ellena tried to hide the bitterness from her voice but Kevin still heard it. “My mother worked herself into an early grave, making sure Eric and I had everything we needed. I took it all for granted until Lacey was born. Then I realized just how difficult it must have been for her. She had two small children and no one to help her. It’s very hard to be a single mother. You have this stigma attached to you and every one assumes the worst.”
“How do you mean?”
Ellena thought for a moment. “Well, for example, last week I took Lacey to the grocery store with me. There was an older woman behind us at the checkout counter. She must have noticed that I wasn’t wearing a wedding ring because she starting shaking her head and muttering about young girls these days and how they hopped into bed with anyone before getting married and yadda yadda yadda. I just wanted to scream at her. I mean that is NOT at all what my life is about. She doesn’t know me. She doesn’t know my story. She just assumed that I was some teenage slut who got knocked up.”
Kevin slid forward in the chair, rested his elbows on his knees and stared at Ellena curiously. “So what is your story?”
The question caught Ellena off-guard and she squirmed under his inquisitive stare. She smiled nervously. “It’s a very long and pathetic story and I don’t think you really want to hear it all.”
Kevin shrugged. “Sum it up for me.”
“Lacey is my brother’s daughter. She’s my niece. He was not … able to take care of her after her mother died.”
“There’s nothing pathetic about that.”
“Yeah, well maybe someday I’ll tell you the whole story.”
Kevin could tell that that was a lot more to Ellena’s story but he barely knew her, and although he was intrigued and attracted by her, he didn’t want to pry into her personal life.
“Where is everyone else tonight?” Ellena questioned Kevin, glad to have the opportunity to change the subject.
“They said something about going to a strip joint downtown.”
Ellena laughed. “Boy will be boys!” Kevin chuckled in reply. “Which one did they go to?”
“I don’t know. They never said.”
“Tell them that Barbie Dahl’s on twentieth is the best place. Naughty Nadia is there on Thursdays.”
Kevin’s eyebrows shot up in surprise and he stared at Ellena in disbelief. “How is it that you know that?”
Ellena laughed again. “Oh don’t ask Kevin! Don’t ask!” Ellena’s laughter was contagious and soon Kevin found himself giggling like a schoolgirl. After the fit of giggles subsided, Kevin sighed.
“So where is it that you’re working tomorrow/”
“I have dance team practice at six in the morning.”
“Six in the morning?” Kevin asked incredulously. “Why so early.”
“We have to share gym time with the basketball teams and volleyball teams. Cheerleaders don’t get much respect. People think that they are just girls who couldn’t make it on to any other team.”
“That’s kind of harsh don’t you think?’
“Yeah, it’s unfair. I know how hard those girls work because I’m the one that makes them work that hard. We’ve got a really strong team this year and if we can win state, perhaps we can gain a little respect within the school. I bet all the girls would die to know that Kevin Richardson paid me a visit tonight. “ Ellena teased, her eyes twinkling. “I think every girl on the team has tickets to the concert tomorrow night and that is all I’ve heard about for the past month. I should hold you personally responsible for distracting them from the routine.”
“Are you going to the concert tomorrow?”
Ellena brushed a strand of hair out of her face. “Are you kidding? Do you actually know how much tickets cost for one of your concerts? There is no way I could take Lacey. I’d have to pick up another job. Besides, I have been working so much lately I haven’t had a full night of quality time with Lacey for a week. She’ll start wondering who I am if I don’t spend a little more time with her.” Ellena stifled a yawn and stretched.
“Well, I should get going.” Kevin stood up. “I have to be up early tomorrow as well.”
Ellena got up from the couch and walked with him to the door. “Thank you so much for returning my wallet. Like I said before, I would have been lost without it.”
“No problem, Ellena. Thanks for the conversation. It was nice.”
“Yes it was, wasn’t it.” Ellena leaned against the wall as Kevin opened the door.
“Well…I guess I’ll see you later?” Kevin looked at her.
Ellena chuckled. “You and I both know that we’ll probably never see each other again, Kevin. Take care of yourself.”
Kevin realized that she was probably right. “You too Ellena. Say good bye to Lacey for me.”
“Sure thing. Goodnight.” Ellena smiled as he closed the door. He walked down the hall to the stairs.
Ellena leaned up against the door back inside her apartment and closed her eyes. He was nice. Correction…he was very nice. Do something before he gets away, her mind screamed at her. Her eyes popped open and she whirled around to open the door. “Kevin!” She called down the hall. “Kevin! Are you still here?” Kevin stopped in his tracks and turned around. Ellena was walking swiftly in his direction.
“Ellena, is everything all right? Did I forget something?”
Ellena stopped in front of him and bit her lip nervously. “Yes, you …um…you forgot your reward for returning my wallet.”
Kevin smiled warmly. “Ellena I don’t need –“
Without waiting for him to finish his sentence, Ellena stood on her toes and softly kissed him on the cheek. She pulled her head back quickly and watched the shock register on his face. “There. Now we’re even!” She winked at him and turned around quickly to hurry back to her apartment.
Kevin watched her retreating figure return to her apartment and heard the click of the door behind her. He started to laugh to himself. This has GOT to be a dream. This day has been too strange for real life! He turned towards the stairs once again. Why do I feel that I’ve only been allowed but a glimpse of something extraordinary?

*******************
“Okay girls, you can stop now. That was…that was…awful.” Ellena had been at practice for a solid hour and the routine was not improving one bit. The cheerleaders stopped dancing and gathered around Ellena at the side of the gym. “What is with you guys this morning? I think you’re getting worse!”
A series of groans and giggles came from the group. “Sorry Ell, we’re too excited about the concert tonight to concentrate on the routine.” One girl piped up.
“The concert! Of course. How could I forget!” Ellena sat down in the middle of the group. “Okay, practice is over. I can tell you guys will be useless for the rest of the day anyway. Should I warn the teachers before you get to class?”
“Yeah, maybe you should.” The girl replied amongst giggles from the rest.
Ellena rolled her eyes playfully. “Cherry, I can always count on you for a smart-ass remark.”
“I’ll never let you down Ell!” The rest of the team gathered their things from the floor and headed for the change rooms. Ellena put her hand on Cherry’s shoulder. “Cherry, can you baby-sit Lacey on Thursday night? I picked up an extra shift this week and Mrs. Craig plays bridge that night.”
“You know I love to look after Lacey. What time, Ell?”
“Show up around six thirty. I’ll have to leave by seven.”
“Okay. I’ll see you at tomorrow’s practice.” Cherry bounded to door behind the other girls.
“You bet. Have fun at the concert tonight!” Ellena called after them. She gathered her things and walked out of the gym on her way home. She ran up the stairs to her apartment and opened the door quietly. Mrs. Craig was sitting at the kitchen table with a cup of tea and a thick romance novel.
“You know those things will rot your brain if you read them too much.” Mrs. Craig closed the book and smiled.
“Oh Ellena dear. You startled me.”
“Is she still asleep?” Ellena poured herself a cup of tea and sat down at the table.
“Yes, quite soundly in fact. She must have had a big day yesterday.”
“Yes, she did. We had another episode at the mall.” Ellena rubbed her forehead. “She gets more curious about her mother everyday. What am I going to tell her when the angel bit isn’t enough of an explanation for her.”
Mrs. Craig reached her hand out and patted Ellena on the arm. “Don’t worry dear. She has a wonderful mother right here.”
Ellena smiled grimly down at her teacup. “Thanks Mrs. Craig.”
“I have to be going now dear. Sammy is probably wondering where I’ve gotten to.” Ellena got up and walked the woman to the door.
“Thanks for coming so early Mrs. Craig.”
“Anytime dear, anytime. Oh yes, I almost forgot. Something came for you this morning. I set it on the mantle in the living room.” Mrs. Craig grinned like a Cheshire cat. “You must tell me all about it later!” She winked at her and left the apartment.
Ellena made her way in to the living to see what had arrived. She thought it might be a package for Lacey from her Dad but she highly doubted it. She hadn’t heard from Eric for months. Ellena caught her breath when she noticed a large flower arrangement perched on the mantle. Ellena went over to study it. She closed her eyes and leaned in closer. Breathing deep, she let the perfume surround her. A small card leaned against the base of the vase. Ellena quickly tore it open. Two papers fell to floor. Ellen bent to pick them up and stopped quickly when she glanced at the writing. They were two tickets to the Backstreet Boys concert that night, along with full backstage access. Ellena looked again into the envelope and found a note. She quickly unfolded it and read.

Ellena,

I hope an evening at a concert can be considered ‘quality time’ with Lacey. I’ll be looking for you backstage after the show.

Kevin