- Text Size +
Ellena faded in and out of consciousness. Somewhere in the murky depths of reality, someone was calling her name. Struggling to focus, a familiar face came into view. Confusion set in as she realized she was lying on the couch. Kevin hovered over her like a disembodied spirit, his face stricken with concern.
“Ellena, what happened?”
Ellena brought her hand to her head and closed her eyes again. Words formed on her lips but no sounds came out. Then she remembered. “I think I’m gonna be sick.” She whispered and abruptly sat up. Her stomach lurched in protest. She stood on shaky legs and waited for the dizziness to subside. It didn’t. She found the wall with her hand and leaned against it. Kevin stepped forward to help her but she pushed his hands away. Using the wall for support, she made her way down the hallway to the bathroom. She slammed the door and locked it. Her knees thudded against the cold tiles as she fell in front of the toilet. After emptying the contents of her stomach into the white porcelain bowl, she leaned against the side of the bathtub and hugged her knees into her chest. Thoughts swam around her head without direction. A sharp knock at the door startled her back to reality. It was Kevin.
“Ellena? Are you all right?” She didn’t answer. She stood up on her still shaky legs and gripped the edge of the counter with both hands. Turning on the tap, she ran the water cold and splashed it on her face and neck. Kevin knocked again at the door. This time it was a little more urgent than the last. “Ellena! Answer me!” His voice barked on the verge of hysteria.
After patting her face dry with a towel, she stared at her reflection in the mirror. “He’s doing it again, Ellena.” She said to herself. She swung the door open suddenly and nearly ran into Kevin’s raised fist. “Will you take me home please?” She asked, barely a whisper. She brushed by Kevin and stumbled back to the living room. She pretended to ignore the concerned stares coming from Nick, AJ and Howie and the angry glare coming form Brian. Ellena picked up her purse and her shoes. She walked, barefoot, out to the car and waited for Kevin to follow her.
Back in the house Brian started to yell at Kevin. “She’s pregnant isn’t she? I knew it! I knew this would happen. You son of a bitch! You knocked her up didn’t you?”
Kevin glared flatly at Brian and replied. “Not now, Brian.”
Brian ignored the tone of Kevin’s voice and continued. “Do you have any idea what this is going to do to us? Did you even think of the group before you let your hormones take over?”
Kevin’s hands balled into fists as he leveled a deadly glare at Brian. “This is not the time Brian. I suggest you back off until you know what you are talking about.”
“I know what I’m talking about! She led you on and now she’s gonna make you pay! I warned you but did you listen? Nooo – you and your stubborn, pig-headed ideas…” When Kevin raised his fist towards Brian, AJ and Howie sprung into action. AJ jumped between them and tried to put as much distance between them as possible. Using up every last bit of self-control that he could muster, Kevin calmly left the house. He found Ellena leaning against his car with her head in her hands. Wordlessly, he unlocked her door and helped her get in. She was still trembling and shaky. As he walked around the other side of the car, he could hear shouting coming from inside the house. He got in the car and put his keys into the ignition but didn’t start the car. He turned to Ellena. She stared blankly out the windshield. Her complexion was pasty white, her skin almost translucent. Without blinking or looking at him, she drew in a shallow breath and told him. “He’s taking her away.”