- Text Size +
Numbly, Ellena unlocked the door to her apartment and went in. Mrs. Craig greeted them and the expression on her face fell when she saw the state Ellena was in. Ellena walked past her without so much as a hello, straight into the living room to where Lacey was watching TV on the couch. Silently she gathered Lacey into her arms and buried her face into her hair. “Lala you’re squishing me.” Lacey giggled. Tears glided down Ellena’s cheeks as she breathed in the scent of Lacey’s hair. Mrs. Craig looked at Kevin with questioning eyes. Kevin motioned for her to follow him into the corridor, where he explained the situation to her.
“Lala, why are you sad?” Lacey asked with all the concern a three year old can show.
“I have some good news for you honey.” Ellena pasted on a tin smile and wiped her tears with the sleeve of her sweater. “Your Daddy is coming here tonight. He’s going to take you with him.”
Lacey bounced up and down on the couch. “Yay, Daddy’s coming!” She yelled excitedly.
Ellena checked the clock. Eight-thirty. Only an hour and a half left with her precious little girl.
She made her way to Lacey’s room and started to pack clothes and toys.
Having said good bye to a tearful Mrs. Craig, Kevin came back inside the apartment. Ellena finished packing Lacey’s things in silence. Kevin watched her in concern.
“You should go home Kevin.” She stated stoically. “Don’t you have to be in the studio tomorrow?”
“I’m not leaving you alone tonight.” He replied.
Ellena opened her mouth to argue but Kevin stopped her. “Don’t argue with me Ellena. I’m not going to let him hurt you.”
Her face showed absolutely no emotion. Her hollow eyes looked through him as she walked past him, back into the living room. She sat down and pulled Lacey into her lap. She held Lacey’s face between her hands. “I might not see you for a while. It might be a long time honey. I want you to always remember that I love you.”
“I love you, Lala.” Lacey replied with a giggle.
Ellena grimaced and repeated herself. “Don’t forget. No matter what happens, I love you. Even if I can’t always be with you, I still love you. Don’t let Daddy or anyone tell you different. Do you understand?”
Lacey nodded and smiled again. “Yes Lala.”
Ellena gathered Lacey into her arms and rocked her back and forth. Kevin watched as the look of shear agony washed over Ellena. He could have sworn he actually heard the sound of her heart being ripped to shreds.

~*~

Eric was two hours late. By the time he showed up at midnight, Lacey was asleep. Ellena hadn’t said another word to Kevin and she hadn’t moved from rocking Lacey in her arms. The knock at the door was sharp and angry. Ellena closed her eyes and bit her lip. Kevin answered the door. Eric sneered at Kevin and brushed past him into the living room. He grinned at the look of pain across Ellena’s features.
“Enjoy this time while she is asleep, Eric.” Ellena warned. “When she wakes up and realizes that you have no intention of bringing her back to me, she will not be a pleasant child to be around.”
“Don’t try to discourage me from taking her. You brought this on yourself Ellena. You shouldn’t have threatened me.”
Kevin jammed his fists into his pockets, seething at the joy this man was getting from Ellena’s anguish. Eric took Lacey from Ellena and asked about her things. Ellena miserably gestured towards a suitcase at the door. Eric shifted Lacey’s weight to one side and picked up the suitcase with the other. He opened the door and turned to Ellena for one last jab. “Don’t try to find us.” With that he left the apartment.
Ellena sat on one of the barstools in the kitchen and held her head in her hands. Wordlessly, Kevin took her hands and led her down the hall to her bedroom. He folded back the comforter and motioned for her to get in. Ellena silently obeyed and climbed upon the bed. He tucked the blankets all around her and kissed her forehead. “I’ll be in the living room. Call me if you need anything.”
Ellena clutched his arm, her hollow grey eyes met his, begging him not to leave her alone. Kevin was motionless for a moment, and then he nodded and stretched out beside her on the bed. He enveloped Ellena in a warm cocoon of comfort. Sleep was a welcome escape from her own private hell.