- Text Size +
“I see you’ve decided to join us after all.” Brian bit off sarcastically.
Kevin rolled his eyes and took his place on the floor between Nick and AJ. He had stopped at his house to shower and change before going to rehearsal. This had made him over an hour late and he knew that it would make Brian angry. He chose to ignore the comment and spent the next hour concentrating on everything Sheridan said and did. When he called for a break, Nick handed a bottle of water to Kevin and sat on the floor beside him.
“You look like shit.” Nick stated.
Kevin rubbed his hands over his face. “Thanks, man.”
“So what happened last night? Is Ellena all right? Did you take her to the hospital? She’s not really pregnant, is she?” Nick rambled off the questions faster than Kevin could comprehend.
“First of all, No, she is not pregnant. There is NO way it’s possible – if you know what I mean.”
Nick thought for a moment and then replied with a simple “Oh.”
Kevin took a drink of his water and continued. “I didn’t take Ellena to the hospital. She is fine – physically.” Kevin didn’t want to divulge Ellena’s personal problems. “Last night she got some very upsetting news and really, that is all I can tell you.”
Nick sighed. “Well as long as she is okay.” Up until this point Kevin had been unaware of how much Ellena had grown on the other members of the group. He was surprised to learn that Nick cared about her.
AJ, who had overheard the conversation, came up behind Nick. “And Lacey? Is she all right too?” Lacey had become a special friend to AJ and he had, as of late, began affectionately referring to her as ‘the maniac child’.
Kevin turned away from AJ and nodded. “Yes, she’s fine.” He couldn’t look him in the eye as he lied. But it wasn’t a lie really. Lacey was fine, physically. Kevin wondered about her reaction when she woke up to find herself in another city, far away from her Lala. Eric had gotten more than he bargained for.
Eric. The thought of that man made Kevin see red. Eric didn’t care about Lacey. How could he when he took her away from the most important person in her life? He didn’t care about Ellena either. He had used her in so many ways and now he was using Lacey to hurt her. If he wasn’t Lacey’s father, Kevin would have personally hunted him down and beat him till he was soft and mushy. He just hoped that he would take care of Lacey. If anything happened to the little girl, it would absolutely kill Ellena. Of that one thing, Kevin was positive.
Sheridan started the music again and Kevin stood up to begin. He pushed all thoughts of Eric out of his mind and concentrated on rehearsal. It was more difficult than he thought.

~*~

“Come on Ellena, pick up.” Kevin whispered into the phone. He had called her four times in the last hour and she still hadn’t answered. It was four thirty in the morning and she wasn’t home from work yet. Kevin was seconds away from getting in his car and going to look for her. “Go home and get some sleep” she had told him. Yeah right! Like he could sleep knowing that she was at that sleazy club alone. Or worse yet – at the sleazy club alone with Ken.
“Hello?” Ellena finally answered, a little out of breath.
“Ellena? Did you just get home?”
“Yeah, I just walked in the door to find my phone ringing off the hook. You’re supposed to be asleep, Kevin.” She scolded.
“I wanted to make sure you are okay. Why are you so late?”
“Ken and a bunch of his cronies were in the club late and I had to stay and serve their drinks.” Ellena replied, stifling a yawn.
“Do you want me to come over?” Kevin asked, hoping she would say yes. He wouldn’t sleep at home, worrying about her all night anyway.
“No. I’ll be fine. I have to work tomorrow at ten anyway.”
“You have to work at ten?” Kevin asked incredulously. “He expects you in at ten when you just got home now?”
“Yes. He knows that Eric…that Eric…has Lacey…” her voice trailed off and she choked back a sob. “He knows that I don’t have to be home for Lacey anymore so he’s doubling my shifts again.”
Kevin pounded his nightstand with his fist. “Ellena! You are not his possession! He can’t do that!”
“Yes he can, Kevin, and he already did. I’m on full days and nights for the rest of the week. I don’t know if I’ll be able to see you much before you leave on Monday for the tour. Promise me you’ll say good bye before you go.” Ellena’s voice was thick and sad.
“I’ll find a way for us to be together before I leave. Now please go get some rest. I’ll call you tomorrow before you leave for work.”
Ellena agreed and said good bye. She hung up the phone and turned on the TV. She would never sleep without dreaming of Lacey. Staying awake would be much easier for her.

~*~

Across the city, Kevin hung up his phone and turned off the bedside lamp. He closed his eyes. The last thing he wanted to do was leave Ellena for three months. She would be alone and working for that scum, Ken. There had to be some way for him to help her. If only she could get a bit of time off and come on tour with him for a few weeks. That way he wouldn’t worry about her so much, if he could see her in the middle of the three-month tour, then he could have some peace of mind. If only there was something he could do.