- Text Size +
Brinng! Kevin had been in a meeting since seven o’clock that morning. He had promised Ellena that he would call her before she left for work that morning. It was nine thirty and he hoped he would catch her before she left the apartment. Brinng! Ellena picked up after the third ring.
“Hello?” She sounded rather groggy.
“Good morning, sweetheart. I thought you’d be gone by now.”
Ellena sat up on the couch. “What time is it?” She asked, now fully awake.
Kevin looked at his watch. “Nine-thirty-eight.” He stated.
“Oh my God – Omigod!” She shrieked. “I’m late! I’m late! I can’t believe I overslept! I gotta go Kevin, I’ve gotta catch the bus in fifteen minutes. Ken’s gonna kill me! I’ll talk to you later.” She hung up the phone.
Kevin stared quizzically at the phone in his hand. He had to do something. Suddenly, Kevin bolted up right in his chair. The answer was so simple he wondered why he hadn’t thought of it before. All he had to do was make an offer that couldn’t be refused.

~*~

“Okay guys. Go home and get some rest. Relax for tomorrow. We’ll see you bright and early Monday morning.” The tour manager clapped his hands together and dismissed the meeting. It was late Saturday night and they were just going over the last details of the tour. Several chairs were loudly pushed back from the boardroom table as everyone stood to leave.
Nick came up behind Kevin and slapped him on the back. “Going to see your woman?” he chuckled.
“I’m going to see Ellena. Not sure if you could refer to her as mine just yet.”
“Okay, maybe after tonight you can call her that.” Nick replied mischievously.
“I don’t think I want to discuss my relations with Ellena with you.” Kevin rolled his eyes.
“Or lack thereof.” Nick added.
“Nick, shut up.” Kevin said with a grin. Nick had a way of appearing innocent, but Kevin knew what went on in his young mind. “What are your plans for our last day in town?”
Nick shrugged. “Spending the day with my family. My Mom is planning a big family dinner. Then we’ll probably just hang out at the house. Nothing too exciting.”
“Yeah, well see ya Monday morning.” Kevin said with a wave. Nick stepped into the elevator and the doors closed.
Kevin turned around and headed in the direction of the tour manager’s office. He hoped he would catch him before he left the building. He had a few travel arrangements to make.

~*~

Two more days and Kevin would be leaving for three months, Ellena thought to herself. It was three o’clock in the morning. Ellena yawned as she wiped the tables and then started to wash the shot glasses. She hadn’t seen Kevin since the morning he left her apartment. They had shared a couple hurried phone calls over the course of the last few days but hadn’t been able to really talk. Ellena was extremely busy working so much at the club. She was actually thankful for the diversion. If she had had any free time, she would have spent it thinking about Lacey. A luxury she couldn’t afford if she wanted to keep her sanity. Luckily, she still had Sunday free. She would have a chance to see Kevin one last time before he left.
“Ellena! Get your ass up here!” She heard Ken shout from his office.
“Great!” She mumbled to herself. “I bet I’m getting more shifts next week – just what I need.” She dried her hands on her apron and ascended the stairs. The door to Ken’s office was open and she walked in. Ken was sitting behind his desk with a lecherous grin on his face.
“What do you want?” She asked haughtily.
“Ellena, dear, is that any way to speak to someone who is doing you a favour?” Ken said sweetly.
“Ken, you don’t do favours for anyone. Now what do you want?” She repeated.
“You can have the holidays you asked for last week.”
“What?” Ellena asked, not believing her ears.
“Ten days – no more. And then you are back here working again.”
Ellena didn’t know what had made Ken change his mind and she didn’t care. She studied his movements. Nothing he did suggested that he was tricking her. He looked up from his desk, noticing that she was still in the room.
“That will be all. Now finish cleaning up and get out of here.” He grumbled and turned his attention back to his paperwork.
“Thank you, Ken.” She said meekly and hurried out of the room before he reneged on his offer. She finished cleaning the bar with a frown. She should have been completely happy but there was something bothering her. A little nagging voice was telling her that Ken would not be doing this unless there was something in it for him. What could he possibly gain from sending her on holidays?
That night, Ellena didn’t return to the apartment until four thirty. She crawled into bed without changing out of her uniform. Her dreams were filled with images of Lacey and Eric. Even in her slumber, she couldn’t stop worrying about the child she considered her own daughter. That is maybe what made her more of a mother.