- Text Size +
“Mmmmm” Ellena’s eye fluttered open to the morning sun. “Tell me I’m not dreaming.” She whispered as Kevin watched her intently. He smiled and kissed the tip of her nose.
“You’re not dreaming.” Kevin flashed one of his charming, boyish grins.
“How can I be sure?”
Kevin leaned down and captured Ellena’s mouth with his, kissing her thoroughly.
“I’m convinced.” Ellena grinned.
Kevin let out a low chuckle. “I was just waiting for you to wake up so I could say good bye.”
“Good bye? But I just got here!” Ellena feigned a pout. “We haven’t even said hello yet!”
“I’ll be back around six. Then I’m all yours. Now get some more sleep. You look…you look…”
“Like hell.” Ellena finished the sentence for him. “I know. I quit looking in the mirror two weeks ago.” Ellena sat up and brushed her fingers through her hair. “Do you have to leave right now?”
Kevin glanced at his watch and sighed. “I have to get back to my own room and grab a shower and a change of clothes before I meet the guys downstairs.”
Ellena put her arms around Kevin’s waist and rested her head on his chest. “Stay with me until I fall asleep.” She brought her eyes up to meet his. “Please? I’ve been aching for you to hold me. Don’t leave me so soon.” There was no way Kevin could turn down her request. Ellena laid back down on the bed and closed her eyes. Kevin stretched out beside her and kissed her temple. Within moments, Ellena was asleep. Reluctantly, Kevin eased his arm out from underneath her body and crept out of the room. He made his way down the hall to his own hotel room. The door next to his opened and a familiar figure stepped into the corridor.
“Good morning, Brian.” Kevin said quietly.
Brian donned his standard look of disapproval. “Just returning to your room now? Kevin, could you at least try not to be so obvious?”
Kevin left his key in the lock and turned to face Brian. “What is that supposed to mean? I’ve never chastised you for your philandering.”
“I heard your little tramp friend arrived yesterday. It’s no surprise that she hasn’t emerged from her hotel room. Are you sure that you are the only person she is entertaining behind that door?”
Kevin narrowed his eyes and glowered at the other man. “Don’t go there, Brian.” Kevin said in a low voice, struggling to keep control.
A sinister grin crossed Brian’s face. “Perhaps if I knocked on her door, she would oblige me to a quick roll in the sac before -
Kevin had reached his breaking point. He took two swift steps towards Brian and shoved him up against the wall. “You will never talk about the woman I love in that way again! Do you hear me?” He shouted, mere inches from his face.
Brian laughed again. “The woman you love! Man! You are not only blind but stupid too. Girls like that only care about one thing. When the day comes that you learn that about her, I’m going to be the one saying I told ya so.”
Kevin shoved Brian across the corridor and Brian lost his footing. He fell to one knee only to be yanked up violently by Kevin. “You stay the fuck out of my life! You got that? Stay the fuck away from me!” Kevin didn’t hear the shouts of Nick and Mitch as they rushed down the hallway and pulled him off of Brian. Mitch literally picked Kevin up off his feet. He was still shouting as Mitch pushed open the door to his room and slammed it shut. He deposited Kevin in the chair by the window, rather un-gently, and gruffly threatened his life if he didn’t stop shouting. Outside the room, Kevin could hear Nick and Brian yelling back and forth and then doors slamming.
Kevin leaned forward in his chair and cradled his head in his hands. How could his relationship with such a beautiful person bring such havoc into his life? Why was Brian letting his dislike for Ellena tear the entire group apart? Not only were Brian and Kevin arguing all the time, but now Nick and Brian weren’t getting along either.
Kevin took a few minutes to calm down. Mitch waited until Kevin’s breathing was normal before he broke the silence. “Did you really mean what you said out there, Kevin?” Mitch spoke in a calmer manner than he had a minute ago.
“Of course I meant it. I want him out of my life!” Kevin snapped, his anger renewed.
Mitch sat down on the end of the bed. “No the other part. Do you love Ellena?”
Kevin blinked twice as if to clear his vision, then a small smile spread across his lips. “Yes.” He replied simply. “Yes.” He repeated again. He was trying to get used to the fact that he had just confessed his feelings for Ellena out loud. “Yes. I love her, Mitch. I don’t know when it started but I do.”
Mitch, his earlier anger forgotten, smiled widely. “If you truly love her, then she is worth all this grief. She’s a special woman. Be patient, Brian will come around and realize that he is wrong about her.”
“I hope you are right, Mitch.”
Mitch grinned. “Of course I am right. Now go get ready and be downstairs in twenty minutes. Don’t give Brian another reason to hate you.” Mitch rose from the bed and left the room. Kevin remained in his chair playing the last few minutes over in his head. He loved her. He had said it out loud. He was only sorry that she hadn’t been the first to know.