- Text Size +
“Whatcha readin’?” Nick plopped into the chair next to Ellena and grinned. Ellena held up her book so that Nick could see the cover. “The Canterbury Tales? Isn’t that like, educational or something?”
Ellena tapped Nick on the forehead. “You have to expand your mind Nick.”
“Sure whatever.” Nick replied flatly.
“Aren’t you supposed to be doing a sound check?”
“Yeah.” Nick shrugged. “But Brian was being a grouch so I came to visit you.” Nick turned his attention to the four men on stage working on their dance steps. Ellena had brought her book and tagged along with them that morning to the arena where the concert was to be that night. She was enjoying the opportunity to watch Kevin in his element. Nick studied Ellena as she glanced from the text on the book in front of her to the dark-haired man on stage. He laughed at her feeble attempt to hide the fact that she couldn’t keep her eyes off of Kevin. She turned to Nick with a confused look on her face.
“What are you laughing at?” She asked.
“You!”
“Why?”
“Because you’re devouring him with your eyes.” Nick smiled as Ellena blushed and looked away.
“Devouring. Hmm. Such a big word for you, Nick.” Ellena chided.
He looked at her pensively and cocked an eyebrow. “You look different today, Ellena.”
Ellena wrinkled her nose. “I look different how?”
“I dunno.” Nick shrugged. “You look…you look happy, content.” Nick trailed off searching for the correct word. Ellena rummaged through her bag on the floor and twisted the top off a bottle of water.
“Glowing.” Nick said triumphantly.
“Glowing? What’s that supposed to mean?” Ellena grinned and took a sip of her water.
“Something happened between you and Kevin yesterday, didn’t it?”
Ellena quickly pulled the bottle away from her lips and covered her mouth as she choked on the liquid. Nick grinned wider and patted Ellena on the back. After coughing for a bit, she held up her hand to show that she was okay. “What exactly are you getting at, Nick?” Ellena asked in a hoarse voice.
Nick held his hands up in response. “Nothing. All I’m saying is you look happy today.”
Ellena eyed him wearily and then nodded. “Thanks, I think.”
The two sat in the seats in front of the stage and watched as AJ and Howie chased Kevin around the floor before tackling him to the ground and emptying their water bottles on him. Brian walked on to the stage and stood over them. He mumbled something inaudible to the three men on the ground as they stood up like children being punished. Brian turned his attention to the theatre seats. “Nick!” He screamed. “Get your ass up here so we can finish. I don’t plan on spending the entire afternoon with these adolescents!” Nick turned to Ellena and shrugged.
“Gotta go. See ya later.” Nick stood and joined the group. Kevin strolled to the edge of the stage and smiled to Ellena. Ellena looked up from her book and smiled back.
“Can I ask you a favour?”
“Sure.” Ellena shrugged. “Ask away.”
“Can you go into the back and get me a dry shirt? Please.”
Ellena marked her page and stood up. “Yeah sure. Be back in a sec.” Ellena walked around the front row of chairs and through the stage door.
“You two make me sick.” Brian spat at Kevin.
Kevin rolled his eyes. “Drop it Brian, it doesn’t concern you.” He replied calmly.
Brian stomped his foot and huffed. He turned on his heel and left the stage area and returned to the back room. He could no longer stand to be in the same room as Kevin. Whether he was part of his family or not, Kevin had made it very clear the Brian’s opinion didn’t matter to him. He rushed past several open doors in the hallway and stopped when he saw a movement in one of the rooms. He walked in the room and watched as Ellena rifled through a hanging rack, looking for a t-shirt for Kevin.
“You deserve an Oscar for that little performance at Kevin’s house last month. I especially liked it when you passed out. Very convincing.”
Ellena turned around and gave a look of disgust. “Brian, can’t you just leave me alone?”
“How convenient for you that Kevin invited you here so you could seal the deal.”
“What deal? I don’t know what you are talking about, Brian. What could I possibly have to gain from manipulating Kevin?”
“Don’t pretend to be so naive Ellena. I know better than that. You get yourself pregnant with his child and all you have to do is sell your story to the first tell-all book deal that you get offered.”
“I told you before that Kevin and I aren’t sleeping together.” Up until yesterday, it had been the truth.
“I can only assume that those were your scratches down Kevin’s chest this morning. Was he a good fuck?”
Ellena’s eyes widened and she could feel her cheeks burn. What she and Kevin had shared last night had been much more than that, so much more. She refused to stand in front of Brian and let him cheapen it. She took a step backwards and shook her head. The door swung open and Kevin stepped inside. He looked at Brian and then at Ellena. His eyes darkened.
“Is everything all right in here?” Ellena jumped.
“Yes, I was just…just…getting that t-shirt that you wanted. Sorry I took so long.” Ellena smiled sweetly at Kevin. She must have been convincing enough because he smiled back and kissed her on the forehead. Brian grimaced and looked away. Kevin straightened and turned to Brian.
“We’re waiting for you for the sound check.” Kevin pulled his drenched t-shirt off, revealing four dark, red lines down the front of his torso. Brian glanced at them and leveled his eyes at Ellena.
“We’ll have to finish our discussion later.” He ground out.
“Yes, we will.” Ellena replied. “See you later Brian.” She called out as he left the room. She turned back to Kevin. Brian wasn’t an idiot. The scratches on Kevin’s chest were very obvious. One had to be a fool not to know what they were from. Ellena’s mouth descended upon them, kissing each wound down its entire length. “Kevin, I’m sorry I hurt you.” Kevin laughed, his pearl white teeth flashed.
“I should be the one apologizing. I hurt you.”
“Don’t.” Ellena replied, looking deep into his emerald eyes.
“Then you don’t.” He kissed her on the tip of the nose. He stepped back from her and pulled the clean t-shirt over his head. “I’ll see you after the sound check?”
“Of course.” She grinned. With that, he was gone.
Ellena fell back onto a chair and sighed. No matter what, she refused to go to Kevin and tell him about how Brian was treating her. She had dealt with men like Brian all of her life. It was just what he wanted, for her to run tattling to Kevin so he could deny the whole thing and make her out to be the bad guy. No way would she give him the satisfaction.