- Text Size +
The next week flew by Ellena in a whirlwind of bliss. Never in her life had she experienced the feelings that she had for Kevin. He would kiss her goodbye every morning before he left, and hold her in his arms every night while they slept. And when they made love, Ellena realized what it was to be a complete person.
Almost.
Without Lacey in her life, she was still not whole. Lacey’s absence weighed heavily on her heart. No amount of love and tenderness from Kevin would ever be able to erase the pain she felt with every breath.
“Kevin, I think I’ll fly home tomorrow.” Ellena said softly as she traced lazy circles over his torso with her fingertips.
Kevin wrinkled his eyes at the corners and grabbed her hand in his, holding it still. “You’re supposed to stay with me for another three days.”
“I know but I should probably get back to work…”
“Ken said ten days! That was the agreement!” Kevin became angry.
Ellena became confused at Kevin’s immediate anger. “Calm down Kevin. I just don’t think I should stay that long.”
“Don’t you want to be with me anymore?”
Ellena caressed his cheek. “Of course I want to be with you, Kevin. I love you, can’t you see that?”
Kevin nodded and kissed her mouth. “Then stay with me for the next three days.”
“My presence here is putting more stress on your relationship with Brian. It’s starting to wear on the others too. I won’t be the reason for that.” She had had another run-in with Brian that morning, which she neglected to mention to Kevin. “I can’t take another day of pretending to be happy on that tour bus when the tension is so thick I can barely see my hand in front of my face.” Kevin knew she was the voice of reason. The breakdown of his friendship with Brian had worn on everyone else’s relationship with him as well. There was constant bickering and sarcastic remarks being thrown at each other. “You know it will be better this way, Kevin.” He nodded.
Ellena smiled sadly and kissed the middle of his chest. She then sat up, rolled across the bed and reached for her plane ticket on the telephone stand. “It should say something here about canceling and changing flights.” Ellena thought out loud as she studied the fine print. Letting her eyes graze down the page she mused. “Hmm. It says here that the ticket was booked three days before I even told you that I got the time off. That’s weird. Must have been a clerical error. Let me see…” She read down the page with out giving it a second thought. “Aha! Here it is: flight cancellation and schedule changes.” She skimmed over the text.
Kevin propped himself up on one elbow and quickly pulled the ticket out of her hands. Ellena frowned. “Kevin what are you-“ He kissed her. Kevin pulled Ellena closer to him and rained kisses down on her face.
“I’m kissing the woman I love.”
Ellena giggled. “Kevin!” She exclaimed. “I’m trying to change my plane ticket.” She said as she squirmed away from his tickles.
“You can change your ticket tomorrow.” He replied and began to nuzzle her neck.
“What about tonight, then?”
“Tonight, I want to give you something to remember me by.”
The ticket, now forgotten, dropped to the floor.