- Text Size +
With Ellena back at the club and Kevin finishing up the last leg of the tour, the days once again seemed to drag on. Ken had increased Ellena’s hours at the club so that she was now working twelve hour days in succession. Although it frustrated Ellena to no end that Ken had that kind of power over her, she chose not to tell Kevin. He wouldn’t have been able to do anything about it anyway. The only thing telling him would do would be make him angry. Ellena didn’t see Mrs. Craig much anymore. Mr. Reynolds had been taking up most of Mrs. Craig’s time.
The day the Backstreet Boys were scheduled to return to Orlando was gloomy and overcast but that did not discourage Ellena. She had been on pins and needles all week. There was a small press conference planned immediately upon their return and then Kevin would be all hers. He had called her late the night before to make sure that she would be waiting for him after she got off at the club.
Ellena changed out of her uniform in the change room and cashed out her tips at the front till. She stepped out into the cool night to wait for Kevin on the street corner. Less than three minutes later, a white stretch limo slowed at the curb and stopped in front of her. Ellena smiled at the thought of Kevin behind the smoky glass. The window slid down and a large, middle aged man with several gold chains peered out at her.
“Hi baby. You waiting for me?”
Ellena took a step back and shook her head. “No.” She whispered, her eyes wide.
The man’s eyes never wavered form her slim frame. “I’ve got enough money for a girl like you. Why don’t you get in the car?”
Beginning to panic slightly, Ellena glanced up and down the street. Kevin was no where in sight and she had already locked the club up tight. She rolled her eyes at her own naivete. What did she expect people to think with her standing outside a strip club, late at night, wearing a miniskirt and leather boots? Truth be known, she had bought the outfit especially for Kevin’s homecoming. She wanted to look nice for his first night home.
“Come now Ellena.” A low, gravelly voice came from within the car. “We both know you could use the extra cash.” Ellena didn’t need to see a face to know who the voice belonged to.
“Go away Ken.” Ellena’s voice was strong even though her hands were trembling.
Ken Dahl’s thick fingers curled around the edge of the car window as he brought his face outside. “Waiting for your pop star, Ellena? He must pay you very well for your…favours. Or maybe you think that he’s in love with you and you give it to him for free. Tell me Ellena, when he is over you and he closes his eyes, do you really believe it’s your face he’s seeing?”
Ellena closed her eyes. The sounds of the city drowned out Ken’s insults. She took another step back and came in contact with the cold metal of the handrail. She gripped it with both hands to keep her balance. She heard Ken and the other man cackle as the limo drove off. She opened her eyes to see the tail lights disappear around the next corner. A black car pulled up across the street and a dark figure got out and leaned against the hood. Ellen immediately recognized it and ran across the street.
“Kevin!” She cried as he crushed her in his arms. “I’ve missed you so much.”
“Not as much as I missed you.” He sighed into her hair. Ellena tilted her head up to meet his eyes and his lips sought hers out. He kissed her tenderly in the cool night air.
“Take me home and make love to me.” Ellena whispered.
Wordlessly, Kevin led her around the car and opened the passenger side door.

~*~

The next morning, Ellena was getting ready to leave for another shift as Kevin lay on the bed and watched her reflection in the dresser mirror.
“Why are you looking at me like that?” Ellena grinned at him through the mirror.
“Like what?” Kevin feigned innocence.
“Like there’s something you want to say but aren’t going to.” Ellena replied, sitting next to him on the bed.
Kevin rolled over under the sheet and hoped that Ellena wasn’t able to read his expression. He had plans for that evening that involved Ellena and their future together.
“Why won’t you let me pay off your debt to Ken?”
Ellena sighed heavily and turned her eyes towards the ceiling. “Kevin, we’ve been through this.”
“I know, but if you could just look at it my way-“
“It’s my problem and I can handle it.” Ellena replied, quickly growing uneasy.
“Why? Why won’t you let me do this for you?” Kevin asked loudly.
“Do you know what it’s like to be indebted to someone? It’s like they always have something to hold over your head, something to control you with.”
“It wouldn’t be like that, Ellena.” Kevin argued.
“You’re kidding yourself if you think it wouldn’t be. Maybe at first you wouldn’t see it that way but it always turns out like that in the end. I’ll never give anyone that power over me.”
Kevin grew angrier. “What do I have to do to prove to you that I am not like the other men in your past? I’m not going to hurt you like Eric and I’m not going to manipulate you like Ken.” He shouted. “You have the opportunity to take that power away from Ken tonight so why won’t you let me?”
“Absolutely not, Kevin.” Ellena snapped. “I will not have you taking care of my responsibilities.”
“You’re being unreasonable, Ellena. I can have the money to Ken tonight.”
“I’m being unreasonable?” Ellena’s voice grew louder. “You’re being unreasonable. You don’t think I can handle this on my own.”
Kevin’s face grew red. “I never said you couldn’t handle it. I just don’t want you to have to deal with it when I can help you.”
“No Kevin. You can’t pay off my debt. That’s it – end of discussion.” The wall clock chimed the hour, reminding Ellena that she was going to be late for work. “I gotta go. Will you still pick me up tonight?”
Ellena asked apprehensively.
Kevin pursed his lips and nodded. Ellena quickly gathered her things and stuffed them into her bag. She whirled around and made her way to the bedroom door. Gripping the doorknob, she stopped and turned to Kevin, still sitting on the bed and breathing heavy from anger. “I love you.” She whispered before disappearing through the door.
Kevin waited until he heard the front door slam before he flopped back onto the pillow and sighed. She was the most stubborn woman he had ever met.