- Text Size +
The club was packed when Kevin walked through the entrance. He spotted Ellena serving drinks at a table in front of the stage.
“I still don’t understand why you are picking her up from work if you had a fight this morning.” Nick complained. “I’d be like – see ya later.”
Kevin pointed to a table in the section Ellena was working that night and gestured for Nick and AJ to follow him. “Maybe that’s why you’ve never had a relationship that lasted more than three weeks, Nick.” Kevin replied bluntly. He had been brooding all day.
AJ took his seat and waved at Ellena across the bar. “Kevin thinks she’s worth it so give the guy a break would ya?” He whacked Nick on the shoulder.
Nick frowned. “Whatever.”
“Hey guys!” Ellena greeted Nick and AJ over the music. Kevin grasped her hand under the table and gave it a quick squeeze. Ellena yanked her hand away as if it had been burned. “You are early. Let me guess.” She grinned at Nick and AJ. “You came to see Nadia.”
AJ plastered on a fake smile and pretended not to notice the tension between Kevin and Ellena. “Busted.”
“Can I get you guys some drinks?”
“Sure, a vodka slime for me.” Nick replied.
Ellena raised her eyebrow at AJ. “I’ll have a bud.”
“Kevin?” She said coolly.
“No thanks.” He mumbled. She glared at him briefly before turning towards Nick and AJ. “I’ll bring those right away.” She turned around and left the table.
“Wow is she pissed.” Nick whistled. Kevin remained silent and glowered at the table in front of him.
Ellena made her way to the bar and ordered the drinks. “Ellena!” Another waitress walked up behind her and put her hand on her shoulder. “Ken has been looking for you. He wants to talk to you.”
“Tell him I’ll talk to him tomorrow. I’m the only one working section three tonight and it’s packed.”
“He sent me to take your section. He wants to talk to you now and you know that he won’t take no for an answer.” The girl shook her head and left her.
Ellena turned back to the bartender and rolled her eyes. “I’ll be back, Jay.”
“No problem, I’ll have your order waiting.” Jay replied with a shrug. Ellena left her drink tray at the bar and hurried up the stairs to Ken’s office. She knocked on the door before she walked in. Ken was sitting behind his desk with his customary lecherous grin on his face.
“You wanted to see me, Mr. Dahl?”
“Yes Ellena, please sit down and do call me Ken. Mr. Dahl is so formal and we’re all friends here right?”
Ellena sneered. “What do you want?”
“Now now, Ellena, don’t be so sour. It’s unbecoming for such a pretty girl.” Ellena didn’t answer.
“I want you to dance tonight.”
Ellena’s eyes widened and she shook her head. “You what?” Her voice grew alarmed.
“I want you to dance tonight.” He said calmly. An evil grin spread across his face.
“I came here to waitress tonight – not to dance. I quit that part over a year ago - remember?” She sputtered in disbelief. “Besides, I didn’t shave my legs this morning.” She added, grasping at any she could think of.
“Oh come on Lucky. All the regulars were very disappointed when you quit dancing and no one will notice anyway.”
“I don’t care.”
“I’ll give you the rest of the weekend off.”
“No.”
“I’ll double your pay.”
“I said No.”
There was a long silence as the two glared at each other across the cheap laminate desk.
“I’ll send someone after Eric.” Ken said slowly.
“Eric is nowhere to be found.” Ellena spat.
“Oh really?” He replied sarcastically. He shoved some photos across his desk to her. “I’m a very resourceful man, Ellena.”
Without picking them up, Ellena caught a glimpse of Eric in the black and whites.
“Go ahead.” Ellena said flatly. “I have no warm fuzzies for Eric anyway.”
“Oh really?” Ken asked. “I think I’ll call your bluff.” He took another photo out of his top desk drawer and held it up.
The colour drained from Ellena’s face as she recognized Lacey in the picture. “You wouldn’t.”
“Try me.”
“You son of a bitch.” She whispered.
Ken flashed another one of his greasy smiles. Ellena fought the urge to vomit as he licked his lips and ran his eyes up and down her body. “You and Nadia are about the same size. You should be able to borrow an outfit from her. It won’t be staying on long anyway. I’ll make sure the DJ has your old music.”
Ellena closed her eyes and grimaced. “Gee, I don’t really have a choice, do I?”
“Of course you do. You could not dance. You know how happy that would make me to give the order for an unfortunate accident.”
“I’ll do it.” She whispered, hate gleaming in her eyes.
“Thank you Lucky. I appreciate you doing this for me.”
Ellena glared at him. “Understand this. I am not doing this for you. I am doing this for the rest of the weekend off and for double pay. Some day soon you will have nothing to hold over my head.” Ellena turned on her heel and stormed out of the office. “And don’t you ever call me Lucky.” She yelled before slamming the door.