- Text Size +
Ellena watched the rain fall against the windshield of the car. “Thank you for taking me home Jay.”
“You know I don’t mind. Are you sure you’re okay? You should have some ice on that.”
Ellena gingerly touched her bottom lip and hissed. “I’ll be fine.” She laid her head back against the headrest and watched Jay concentrate on driving. “Can I ask you a question?”
“Sure.”
“How is your marriage?”
Jay kept his eyes on the road and smiled to himself. “What do you mean?”
“I mean, how do you handle it? How can you deal with men ogling Nadia every night? How can you let them look at her?”
“Nadia is the love of my life. She’s my life partner, mother of my children and my best friend. Yes, she takes her clothes off for money but I know that she’s coming home to me every night.”
Ellena smiled and then winced as her lip started to bleed again. “Jay, you’re one in a million.”
Jay stopped the car in front of Ellena’s apartment building.
“Do you want me to walk you up?”
“Would you, please?”
“Let’s go.”

~*~

Kevin, AJ and Nick had been waiting in the lobby on the main floor of Ellena’s apartment building for close to an hour. Kevin was about to give up when he heard voices come up the walk.
“Thanks again, Jay.” Ellena said softly as she looked for her keys.
“Do you want me to come in and check the closets for monsters too?”
Ellena giggled and then winced and touched her lip. “I think I can handle it from here. I’m going to get some ice and –“ she stopped dead in her tracks when she rounded the corner and came face to face with Kevin.
Kevin’s heart twisted to see a large bruise forming on the delicate flesh below her eye. Ellena took a step back towards Jay.
“I just want to talk, Ellena.” Kevin started.
“I’m done talking to you.” Ellena replied coldly.
“Five minutes Ellena, Please.”
“Sorry, I’m on my own time now. Maybe you can strike up another deal with Ken for more of my time next week.” Ellena felt her anger and sorrow churn inside her.
Kevin clenched his teeth and tried a different approach. “I never meant for you to find out like this.”
“You never meant for me to find out at all.” She countered. “You know what hurts the most Kevin? The fact that I trusted you. You were the first person I have trusted since my mother died and you broke it.” Tears stung the back of her eyes and she furiously blinked them back. “It wasn’t enough for you. What is it with the men in my life? I’m just not good enough.” She threw her hands in the air.
“You’re good enough Ellena. Don’t be-“
“Oh thank you Kevin. I’m good at something! It’s so gracious of you to say so but remember, you paid for that.” Kevin’s eyes widened at what she was implying. “Yeah, or did you already forget? I was only doing my job. Scratch another notch on your bedpost. Move on down the line. I don’t understand why you had to pay for it. Someone in your station in life usually can get it for free.”
“Ellena, can we talk about this in private? I really don’t think –“
“Why would we need to talk in private? You told me that you tell them everything.” She waved her hand in the direction of Nick and AJ. She turned to Nick and sneered. “Tell me Nick. Did he tell you that he fucked a stripper? Did you high five him?”
Kevin’s head snapped up. “That’s enough Ellena!” He said through clenched teeth.
“Awww, what’s wrong Kevin? Did I damage your male ego?”
“You’re making a fool of yourself.”
“No, I had help with that. All those long nights, stolen moments, all those feelings, words, tender caresses – I wanted that. I wanted that with you. But now I realize that I was being a fool.”
“I didn’t take –“
“You didn’t have to take anything!” Ellena screamed. “I gave it to you willingly. And it didn’t mean anything to you. Tell me – Did you get your money’s worth? Was it enough bang for your buck?”
Ellena banged on the wall with her fist for emphasis.
“I said I’ve had enough!” Kevin thundered, his face contorted with anger.
Ellena drew herself up to Kevin’s chest and locked her glare with his. In his eyes, she saw no trace of the tender feelings she thought he had for her. She saw nothing but blind rage.
Kevin winced under her hard stare. In Ellena’s eyes he saw confusion, pain, betrayal and pure hatred. Ellena dropped her voice below a whisper. “So have I.” Ellena pushed the up button for the elevator. Hot tears burned her eyes and threatened to spill over. “You are not going to cry about this Ell. You will not cry over Kevin Richardson.” She firmly told herself. The elevator bell rang and startled her so much that her heart nearly stopped. She stepped into the elevator and waved at Jay in the lobby.
Kevin remained in the same spot for a moment. Nick and AJ exchanged worried expressions. Nick stood up and put his hand on Kevin's shoulder. “Kev, are you-“
Kevin raised his hand to silence him. With a forced calmness, he picked up the keys to AJ’s car and left. Nick started after him but was stopped by AJ.
“We’ll take a cab, bro. Leave him be.”