- Text Size +
“I’m here to audition for the choreographer’s position.” Ellena spoke meekly.
“What’s your name?”
“Ellena O’Ryan.” She replied.
“You’ll have to speak up. Did you say Lenore Riland?”
It surely couldn’t be that easy, could it? Change your name and Ellena O’Ryan disappears from the face of the planet forever. Don’t do it Ellena, she told herself.
“Miss?” The clerk raised an eyebrow.
“Yes, Lenore Riland. Spelled just like it sounds.”
Welcome to your life. There’s no turning back…
“You’ll have to fill out these forms and wait to be called for an interview. You can sit over there.” The clerk handed her a clipboard with the forms and pointed towards a row of chairs. She sat down beside a slim girl – very obviously a dancer – with flame-red hair and golden eyes.
“Hi!” The girl whispered. “Are you here for the dancer’s audition?”
“No,” Ellena replied. “The choreographer’s job.”
“Oh, good. I don’t want to go up against too many people. My name is Marci “ She held out her hand and Ellena took it.
“Lenore.” The new name rolled uncomfortably off her tongue.
“Well, Lenny, good luck. I hope you get the job. I’ll be your female lead dancer.”
“How can you be so confident?”
Marci smiled and shrugged. “No reason not to be.” The red-head’s positive energy was contagious. Ellena found herself smiling back.

~*~

Lenore Riland was settling in to her new position as dance choreographer quite nicely. Marci had been right, she was her lead female dancer. Management had pretty much given Ellena full control, with the only stipulation that the production had to be ready in three months for opening night.
Ellena quickly sprung into action. She had been toying with an idea for a musical for quite some time. The only thing she had lacked before was the talented dance troupe to pull it off. Well, now she had the opportunity to put the wheels in motion.

~*~

Ellena O’Ryan was no where to be found. Kevin had looked everywhere. He even went as far as hiring a private investigator, but to no avail. It was like Ellena had dropped off the face of the planet. Kevin’s life had returned to what it had been like before he met her. The only difference was that his heart was so heavy, he could barely get through the day without the dull ache in his chest nearly paralyzing him.
Christmas was just around the corner and Kevin was dreading it immensely. He and Ellena had made plans to escape to a mountain cabin in Montana to spend New Year’s Eve alone before they had fallen apart. Kevin had booked the cabin three months earlier. He hadn’t cancelled it yet. He thought he might go up there and spend some time alone. Maybe he could finally make sense of his emotions.
Nick’s mom had invited everyone to the Carter household for Thanksgiving dinner. Almost everyone was outside, save for Mrs. Carter in the kitchen. Kevin arrived at the house late. He came in the front door to Mrs. Carter’s warm greeting and a hug. “Kevin, I was wondering if you were going to make it today. Everyone is in the yard.” She smiled but it quickly faded when she finally looked at Kevin’s face.
“Kevin, are you all right? Nick has been worried about you lately. He told me about your friend, Ellena.” She clucked her tongue and shook her head. “Such an awful situation,”
Kevin wondered what exactly Nick had told his mom and made a mental note to kill Nick when the opportunity presented itself. Kevin plastered a fake grin on his face and walked with Mrs. Carter into the house. “I’ll tell Nick you’re here.” The timer on the oven rang and Mrs. Carter’s headed towards the kitchen. Kevin took a seat on the couch in the front room and cradled his head in his hands. The oven timer transported him back to Ellena’s apartment on the day that he had chased her through the living room. He closed his eyes and tried to remember the way her lips felt against his. He couldn’t, it had been too long. He heard heavy footsteps come in to the room.
“Nick, I don’t know what I’m going to do.” Kevin said with out looking up.
“What you’re going to do about what?” Brian inquired.
Kevin’s eyes snapped open. “Oh, it’s you.” He spat. “To what do I owe this pleasure?” He said sarcastically.
Brian narrowed his eyes. “Don’t start. Maybe we can at least be civil to each other when we’re in someone else’s house?”
“You’re the one who started this, Bri. Now you’re asking for a reprieve? I don’t understand you Brian. Just because Ellena is no longer in the picture doesn’t mean I’m just going to forget the way you treated her and me for the past six months.” Kevin voice was progressively growing louder.
“Oh, give me a break!” Brian shot back. “I started this? I don’t think so. You’re the one who completely ignored my warnings. If you had listened to me, you wouldn’t be walking around like you’re half dead!”
“If I had listened to you I would have -!”
“You wouldn’t be feeling this way now. You’d be the Kevin that you used to be. You’d be the friend that I used to have!” Brian quit shouting and sat down in the nearest chair. “Kevin, what happened?”
Kevin stared at Brian long and hard. His sudden change in demeanor had caught Kevin off guard. “What do you mean, what happened? What happened to what?” He snapped.
“Out of all of us, you and I had the strongest friendship. Now it’s gone and you don’t even act like yourself anymore.”
“Life happened, that’s what. Friendships don’t always last forever, Brian. You should have figured that one out on your own.”
Brian grimaced and raked his hand through his hair. “Okay, I know I acted like an asshole when you were with Ellena, and I don’t know what happened between the two of you but I’m sorry that it didn’t work out. You haven’t been the same since she left and I miss the old Kevin. All of us do. Maybe one day you could find it in your heart to forgive me for the way I acted. For what it’s worth, I’m sorry.” Brian’s chair grated loudly against the tile floor as he pushed it back and stood up. “If you need someone to talk to, I’m here, man. That’s what family is for after all…without family you’re incomplete.” Brian quietly opened the door and left Kevin alone.
Moments later Kevin emerged from the house with a smile on his face. Nick and Aaron were trying to find two people to challenge in a game of volleyball on the back lawn.
“Aww! Come on Brian.” Aaron whined exaggeratedly.
Brian grinned and shook his head. “I told ya man, I’d play but I don’t have a partner.”
Kevin walked towards Brian and slapped him on the back. “You do now. I think the two of us can kick the Carter brothers all over the yard.” After getting over his initial shock, Brian smiled widely.
“You and me man! We’re unbeatable!”

~*~

An hour later, after Brian and Kevin had beaten Nick and Aaron in three straight games, Mrs. Carter announced that dinner would be served as soon as everyone gathered in the dining room for grace. Every person from the yard made their way into the house. Once gathered around the table, all joined hands and bowed their head for the blessing. Before Nick’s sister finished grace, she asked that all the family in the room be blessed. Kevin raised his head as they all replied amen. Kevin thought about what Brian had said. Without family, you are incomplete. Hadn’t he heard that before? The why, in a room full of his closest relatives and friends, did he feel like there was something missing?