- Text Size +
Kevin’s emerald eyes followed her every move, drinking in every detail of the woman that had haunted his dreams for the past four months. Kevin suddenly realized that he had never seen her dance before. The emotion brought forth in her dancing was unparalleled. Maybe he would have been able to understand her better if had sooner. Maybe he should have realized a lot of things sooner.
After half an hour of her vigorous work out, Ellena stopped for a break. She grabbed her water bottle from beside the boom box and lifted it to take a drink. Her entire body froze before the bottle reached her lips. The first strains of ‘Show Me the Meaning’ filled her ears. Violently, she jammed the stop button on the disc player and popped the CD out. She frisbeed it across the room where it hit the wall. She watched as it clattered to the floor. From the corner of her eye, she caught a glance of Kevin’s reflection. She closed her eyes and shook her head. When she opened them again, only the empty room showed through the glass. “Now you’re seeing things, Ell. Talk about power of suggestion!" Ellena started to giggle at her own absurdity. She giggled because she was so miserable that if she didn’t laugh, she would cry. “I need a drink.” She said as she knelt to the floor and touched her forehead to her knees.
Kevin chose that exact moment to let his presence be known. He cleared his throat and stepped out of the shadow. “Excuse me. I’m looking for Lenore Riland.” He said in a voice that even he didn’t recognize.
Ellena jumped up and spun around, her grey eyes wide in surprise. The silence in the room was deafening. After a moment of utter shock, Ellena found her voice.
“That’s me.” She squeaked.
Kevin took a step closer to her and immediately, Ellena took one step back. “I was wondering if you could tell me where Ellena O’Ryan is.” He asked seriously. He took another step closer to her and brought his hand up to cup her cheek. How he had missed the warmth of her skin next to his. Ellena took another step backwards and out of his reach.
“Please don’t touch me.” She whispered, her eyes betraying the confidence in her voice. Kevin’s hand fell to his side. He remembered a time when she begged him to touch her, as if the feel of his caresses on her skin were as necessary as oxygen in her lungs. Ellena cleared her throat and brought him back to the present.
“What makes you think I know her?” Ellena asked back. Her eyes remained steadily on his face. She had managed to hide the gut wrenching turmoil she was feeling inside.
“The song, in the performance tonight – I thought maybe she had given you the idea. She used to speak about it, when I knew her. It seems a long time ago now.”
“She’s not here.” Ellena said sternly.
Kevin flinched at her ice-cold glare. “If you see her, can you give her a message for me?” Ellena eyed him warily, then nodded.
“Can you tell her that I would really like to see her? Tell her that I’m sorry I wasn’t more honest with her, and I never intended to hurt her. Tell her that I really miss her. Can you do that for me?” Kevin asked, his eyes pleading for her to acknowledge him.
Ellena swallowed hard, the lump in her throat remained.
Kevin reached into his pocket and produced a small, white slip of paper with a hotel address written on it. He handed it to her. “This is where I’ll be staying until Thursday.” He then calmly turned around and headed for the door. Ellena ran her finger over the black ink on the paper. She was trembling so much that she could barely make out the words.
Kevin stopped at the doorway and turned to her again. “Oh, and one more thing.” Ellena lifted her head to meet his penetrating stare. She parted her lips to respond but her throat was too dry for her to speak. “Tell her that I still love her.” Then, in a blink, he was gone.
The lights and colours of the studio all blurred together in a kaleidoscope of emotion as tears welled up in her eyes.

~*~

Brian heard the card key slide into the slot and the distinct click of the door being unlocked. Kevin entered the room and made his way to the chair by the window. By the look of shock and heartache on Kevin’s face, Brian immediately knew what had happened, without Kevin even telling him.
“You found her, didn’t you?” Brian observed. Kevin nodded and stared silently at the traffic below. “Why isn’t she with you?” Brian asked.
Kevin leaned his elbows on his knees and cradled his head in his hands. “It’s a very long and complicated story, Brian. I wouldn’t even know where to start.” Kevin replied, his voice muffled by his hands.
“Then start at the beginning.” Brian sighed. Even though he didn’t want to know it, or didn’t care to know it, it was time he knew the truth about Ellena O’Ryan.
As the night wore on, Kevin found himself telling Brian everything. He told him about Ellena’s brother, Eric and about Geena. He told Brian about Ken and how he and Eric had manipulated Ellena into working for him. He explained how Eric had used Lacey as leverage to make Ellena do anything he wanted her to. Kevin wasn’t sure why he was telling Brian, of all people. Before he met Ellena, he and Brian had been best friends. His relationship with Ellena had torn a rift between them. Since she had been gone, Kevin and Brian had slowly repaired their friendship and rebuilt the trust between them. Kevin knew that although he and Brian had mended their friendship, Brian still had a strong dislike for Ellena. Brian had actually been relieved when she disappeared.
The two friends spoke into the wee hours of the night straight through until dawn. Kevin ended his story with the truth of his betrayal of Ellena. By the time the sun peeked over the horizon, Kevin was spent, emotionally and physically. Somewhere in the darkness, Brian learned a new understanding of Ellena O’Ryan. He no longer thought of her as a conniving, manipulative tramp who was out to find a free ride. He thought of her as a strong-willed, independent woman who had struggled through the past three years to take care of her own. He had gained new respect for her.
Kevin had quit talking sometime around six-thirty and fell asleep on the other bed in Brian’s hotel room. Brian quickly showered and phoned Mitch to meet him in the lobby. It was time he took matters into his own hands.

~*~

Ellena awoke in the living room, curled up in a fetal position on the couch. Marci bounded down the hall and yanked back the curtain, letting streams of yellow sunshine spill through the window. Ellena scowled and covered her face with her forearm. Marci didn’t notice her displeasure in her excitement. “What’cha doin’?”
“You mean, besides praying for menopause?”
“Huh?”
“You know? Menopause? The change? Hot flashes – bring’em on because I can’t take much more of this.”
“Eeeewww, you’ve shared too much.” Marci bounced on the edge of the couch for a moment. “You know what’s sposta be good for that?”
“Four Midol and a shot of vodka?”
“Nope – sex!” Marci replied and laughed deviously.
“Oh Marce! You are evil personified!” Ellena whined and tried to push her onto the floor.
“Oh Lenny! Stop being so whiny! What’s with you lately?”
Ellena sat up and scowled at her friend. “I’m bitchy and PMS’ing. That’s what’s with me.” She replied.
Marci sighed. “Oh!” She exclaimed, just remembering her conversation with the man in the alley. “Did that guy come in to talk to you last night? He asked me if I knew you and I sent him into the studio. Did he find you?”
Ellena shook her head. “No, I was alone in the studio, all night.” She replied.
“Hmm too bad, he was kind of cute. And it looked like he really wanted to talk to you.” Marci shrugged. “I’m going to meet Serena for lunch, then we’re off shopping. Care to join us?” Marci questioned.
Ellena shook her head again.
“Okay, suit yourself. See ya later.” Marci rolled her eyes and exited the room.
After last night, Ellena had barely been able to think through all the unanswered questions in her head. One question seemed to stand out the most. Did he really still love her? And why?
Ellena got up from the couch and headed for the kitchen. Maybe a hot cup of tea would help her get her thoughts in order. The phone rang just as she opened the cupboard door. Ellena grinned to herself. It was most likely Marci, calling to make sure hadn’t changed her mind about shopping. She picked up the receiver.
“Okay, Marci. I still don’t want to go shopping. But thanks for asking anyway. I-“
“Is this Lenore Riland?” A deep voice asked expectantly.
“I – uh – yes, it is. Sorry, I thought you were someone else.” She smacked her forehead.
“I saw your performance last night and was very impressed. I’d like to discuss with you the possibility of my sponsoring of more experimental theatre projects. Would you have time to meet with me this afternoon?”
Ellena’s stomach did a flip flop. More sponsors for the dance troupe meant more opportunity for her to create productions such as Aladdin. “Absolutely. There is a pub on the corner of fifth Ave and second street Northeast. I’ll meet you there at two-thirty.”
“Perfect.” The voice on the other end of the line replied. “I’ll see you then. Bye.”
“Wait!” Ellena said loudly into the phone. It was too late, the man had hung up before she was able to get his name.