- Text Size +
Marci pulled the curtains shut in the house that she shared with her best friend, who, up until an hour ago, she had known as Lenore Riland. Ellena sat at the kitchen table with a blank expression on her face. Marci set a glass of water in front of her with three Tylenol.
“Take these. You must have a headache from crying so much.” She said softly and took a seat across the table.
Ellena obeyed and took the pills in one swallow. “Thank you.” She whispered and wiped the tears from her cheek. She looked across the table at Marci and grimaced. “Oh Marci, I ruined your shirt. There’s mascara all down the front.”
“That’s okay.” Marci shrugged. “It’s your shirt.” She grinned wryly.
Ellena broke into a smile and then started to giggle. She sighed and rubbed her hands over her face.
“So what are you going to do now?” Marci asked.
Ellena leaned on the table with her elbows. “I honestly don’t know.” She murmured. “I can’t go anywhere until ‘Aladdin’ is finished at Disney land. Then there’s always the possibility of the show going somewhere else. Even if it doesn’t, I don’t want to leave the dance troupe. We’ve got a really good thing here and I think it can be even better with a little bit of planning and a lot of work.”
“And what about your niece?” Marci questioned.
Ellena closed her eyes and thought for a moment. “It’s always a waiting game with Eric. When he runs out of money or places to hide, he’ll call me. Until then, there’s nothing I can do.”
“Which brings me to my next question…” Marci trailed off and raised her eyebrows at Ellena.
“Kevin.” Ellena stated quietly. Marci nodded. “It’s too late for him and me.”
“But Lenny! He came to find you! That should tell you something.” Marci argued, still using her familiar nick name.
Ellena shook her head. “No, it’s too late.” She replied as the tears welled in her eyes again and threatened to spill over.

~*~

Kevin remained at the hotel for the next three days, waiting for Ellena to show up. She never did. Brian and Mitch disappeared for an entire afternoon, leaving Kevin alone to brood in his room. He told himself that he would wait until Thursday, like he told her the night before. If she didn’t call him by then, he would put his tail between his legs and head back to Orlando. Once there, he would never call her or try to see her again. If she didn’t come to see him, he would consider her out of his life and that would be the end.

~*~

She didn’t go. She couldn’t go. She didn’t what to say, didn’t know how to feel, didn’t know what she wanted or what she needed. No, she couldn’t see him again.
Six weeks flew by as Ellena’s dance troupe finished up their stint in Disney Land. The Backstreet Boys were finishing up the last leg of their tour. It had been a year since the ill-fated meeting of Kevin and Ellena at the Orlando mall. It had been eight months since they had first professed their love for one another. Kevin had not tried to call or see Ellena again. Ellena had not called him either.
She decided that she wasn’t mad at him anymore. She forgave him for paying Ken for her time off. Kevin was only thinking of her when he did so. She didn’t phone him to tell him though. It felt good – letting go of her hurt and anger like that. It gave her a new sense of peace.
Her dance troupe was getting more popular by the day. They had been signed for another eight weeks in Atlanta. Ellena and Marci packed up their clothes and closed up the house.
“Len! Are you ready to go? The flight leaves in an hour and a half.” Marci called up the stairs.
“Yeah! I’m coming. Don’t get your panties in a knot!” Ellena yelled from her room.
“I’m not wearing any!” Marci giggled and yelled back. Ellena appeared at the top of the stairs laughed.
Before she had a chance to make a smart comeback, the telephone rang.
“That’s probably Maria, wondering why we haven’t picked her up yet.” Marci rolled her eyes.
Ellena descended the stairs as Marci picked up the phone. “Tell her it’s my fault we’re late.” Ellena said, dropping her suitcase by the front door.
“Hello!…Ellena?…yes…can I tell her who’s calling?…okay, just a minute please.” Marci covered the mouthpiece with her hand. “It’s for you, Len.” Her eyes were wide. “Says its your brother.”