- Text Size +
Kevin peered out from behind his dark sunglasses at the mass of people passing by.
“Do you see her anywhere?” He turned to Mitch beside him. Mitch shook his head without taking his eyes off the crowd.
A short twelve hours earlier, Kevin had been on stage in New York, performing for a sold out show at Madison Square Gardens. After the concert, he had returned to his hotel room to shower and change before going out on the town with AJ and Brian. An unexpected phone message had completely altered the course of his evening.
“Kevin, it’s me, Ellena.”
It was her. Ellena; not Lenore Riland, not Lenny; but Ellena – the woman that he knew, the woman he loved. The woman who stole his every breath when in his presence.
“I need you.”
Three small, monosyllabic words that, when linked together, had the power to stop his heart from beating inside his chest. Before she even had the chance to tell him where she was, he knew he would go to her. He needed her like oxygen. He would have crawled across the desert if she had but asked him. She left no explanation in the message, only a Los Angeles address and telephone number. Kevin called it. The woman who answered told Kevin she would meet him at the airport and she would take him to Ellena.
Amazingly, Brian encouraged Kevin to go, saying that he and the others would cover his engagements the next day. Kevin promised he would meet up with them in time for the next show on the tour. Convincing Mitch to go with him was not a difficult task, as Mitch had felt a fierce protectiveness towards Ellena ever since the night he met her Brian’s house party. Funny how she could bring out those feelings in some one she barely knew.
The airplane couldn’t fly fast enough for Kevin. He would have walked out on the wing and flapped his arms himself if he knew it would get him to her faster. (Authour’s note: Amusing visual Autumn! Teeheehee)
Mitch dozed off during the two-hour flight but Kevin was too restless. He wondered what it was about him that she needed. Was it his money? Was it the influence that came with his name? Or was it the love that had been hers for the taking the moment she realized that it was what she wanted? For the sake of his heart, he hoped it was the latter.
An auburn haired woman approached them at the LAX and introduced herself as Marci. Kevin recognized her from the performance the night he found Ellena. She wouldn’t answer any of Kevin’s repeated questions. She merely gestured for them to follow her and led the two men to her car.
The car ride was quiet save for the hum of the tires on the street. After an hour of driving, Marci stopped the car in front of the General Hospital. Kevin and Mitch immediately became worried but still weren’t offered any explanation. They quietly followed Marci into the elevator and down a pristine white hallway. Marci stopped in front of a room and turned to Kevin.
“You should go in alone. But don’t wake her if she’s asleep. She needs her rest.”
Kevin nodded and entered the room Ellena sat, looking rather uncomfortable, in an orange plastic chair with her head resting on the soft mattress before her. Her full pink lips were slightly parted as she slept. Her long, blonde hair spilled across the white sheets like spun gold. Her slender arm was thrown over the top of the bed protectively. Lying in the bed, looking as fragile as a porcelain doll, was Lacey.
Kevin drew in a sharp breath as he felt his knees go weak. Even in sleep, Ellena’s face was creased with worry. He wanted to go to her, to run his fingers through her hair and hold her in his arms. Lacey stirred, moving her legs and waking Ellena.
“Lala.” She whimpered softly in her sleep. Ellena bolted upright, now fully awake, and watched Lacey carefully. She ran her hand over Lacey’s forehead, brushing her curls away.
“Shhh baby. I’m right here.” She whispered. Lacey’s hand reached across the sheet and grasped Ellena’s. She sighed contentedly and fell back into a deep slumber immediately. Ellena stood and kissed Lacey’s forehead. When she turned to leave the room, she saw Kevin for the first time. Neither one hesitated for even a fraction of a second. Kevin held his arms open as Ellena walked straight into his embrace. Kevin had forgotten how perfectly she fit against his body. They held each other silently, each drawing strength and comfort from the other.