- Text Size +
“She came out of surgery this morning. The doctor said everything went well. All that’s left to do is wait for her body to repair itself.” Ellena finished. Marci came into the ICU lounge and handed a Styrofoam cup to Ellena, Kevin and Mitch. Ellena smiled sadly. “Thank you Marci.”
“And what about Eric?” Kevin questioned.
“The airbags deployed upon impact. He only received minor injuries. He was discharged two days ago.” Ellena replied.
“Has he been back to see her?”
Ellena shook her head. “When Lacey was brought in by ambulance, she needed a blood transfusion. Eric was type ‘O’ positive. Lacey is ‘AB’ negative. Eric was livid. If Geena wasn’t already dead, I’m sure he would have sought her out and killed her himself.” Ellena closed her eyes and shuddered. Kevin took a sip of his coffee and shook his head.
“I don’t understand.” He said to her.
“It means,” began Mitch from across the room. “That Eric isn’t Lacey’s father.”
“Oh.” Kevin said simply. “Then who is?” He asked, wondering how this newfound information was going to affect the little girl in the hospital bed down the hall.
Ellena put her head in her hands and stared at the floor. “Kevin, Geena was a prostitute. There is no way of knowing who Lacey’s father is. It could be anyone.”
A voice floated into the room from the hospital intercom announcing that visiting hours were over. All four occupants of the room stood up and stretched. Mitch noticed that Kevin and Ellena’s hands had been intertwined since they had emerged from Lacey’s room.
“Did you have time to check into a hotel?” Ellena asked Kevin and Mitch. Both shook their heads. “Marci will take you to where we are staying.” Ellena said softly. “I’ll see you tomorrow.” She took a step towards the door. Kevin remained in the same place and still held on to her hand.
“Where are you going?” He asked.
“I’m staying in Lacey’s room.” She stated, trying to pull her hand from Kevin’s grip.
“I’ll stay with you.” He said, still holding her hand tightly.
Mitch grinned. He knew exactly what was going on. Now that Kevin had found her, he was never going to let her out of his sight again. Marci noticed the hint of amusement in Mitch’s eyes.
“Lenny, why don’t you come back to the hotel tonight? You’ve been here for three days straight.”
Ellena looked at Marci and then at Mitch. “What is this? A conspiracy?”
Kevin slid his arm around Ellena’s back. “If I promise to have you on the doorstep of the hospital at six a m sharp, will you come to the hotel with us and get some sleep?”
Ellena sighed and agreed. “Just let me go back and check on Lacey one more time.” Kevin reluctantly let go of her hand as she rushed out of the room. She returned fifteen minutes later. “She’s still sleeping and heavily sedated.” Kevin immediately laced his fingers around hers as the four of them made their way to the parking lot.

~*~

Mitch handed Kevin a hotel key and bid both he and Ellena good night. Marci had already returned to the hotel room that she and Ellena had been sharing for the past three days. Kevin and Ellena sat in the hotel lounge, neither one wanting to sleep just yet.
Kevin’s hand covered Ellena’s on the small table between them. Oh, how he wanted that table to disappear. She watched him intently, knowing that there was something he wanted to say but didn’t know where to begin. So she sat in silence and studied his features. God! How she had missed him. The moment she saw him standing at the end of Lacey’s bed, she immediately felt better. Just having him there beside her gave her a new hope that everything was going to be okay. The emotions played across his face like a silent movie. Ellena knew what he was thinking.
Finally, he broke the silence. “Ellena, I’m sor-“
“You’re forgiven.” She said before he got his apology out. His eyes widened for a moment and then twinkled. He smiled. That charming, boyish grin that she loved.
“You look tired.” He stated.
She ran her hands through her hair. “Honestly? I’m exhausted.”
Kevin stood from the table and pulled Ellena out of her chair. “Stay with me tonight.” It was a question, not a command. The look in his eyes told her that she could decline if she wasn’t comfortable with him just yet.
“No place I’d rather be.” She breathed and planted a kiss on his neck.