- Text Size +
Ellena finished dancing and shut the music off. “That’s really starting to look great, Cherry. I knew you and Marci would work well together.”
“Thanks, Ell. You’re not so bad yourself. I still don’t understand why you prefer not to perform. You’re good, better then Marci and I combined. You should be the one on centre stage.”
Ellena shrugged. “Well, I have my reasons. Maybe next season. I already have some ideas for re-writing ‘Tarzan’.”
“Let me guess.” Marci grinned. “The opening number will be ‘Tarzan Boy’ by Baltimora.”
Ellena laughed. “Now you’re getting the hang of it!”
Marci glanced at her watch and started throwing her stuff in to her bag. “I gotta go! I have a date tonight.”
“Yeah, me too. Mitch will be here any minute to pick me up.” Cherry replied.
“I suppose I should go find out what Lacey is up to.” Ellena turned to follow the two girls up the stairs. Kevin had begun construction almost immediately after Lacey and Ellena moved in, converting his basement into a dance studio.
Ellena and Marci said good bye to Cherry and wandered into the kitchen to get a drink. Brian descended the stairs.
“Are the guys still in that meeting?” Ellena questioned.
Brian shook his head. “It’s pretty much finished. I skipped out early. I’ve got a date.”
“You?” Ellena asked incredulously. “You have a date?”
“Yep!” He nodded and then turned to Marci and offered her his arm. “Shall we?”
“Marci – Brian – you’re going out – together?” Ellena asked, still shocked.
“Pick your chin up off the floor, dear.” Marci grinned. “It’s very unbecoming.”
The couple laughed and exited the room. “Hey Brian, I thought the Backstreet Boys didn’t have time for a personal life!” Ellena yelled out to him.
Brian shrugged. “People change, ya know.”
Ellena smiled and shook her head. “Yeah, I know.”
Ellena left the kitchen to search for Lacey. As she ascended the stairs, she heard Lacey’s giggles floating down the hall, which could only mean that AJ was still in the house.
She entered the den, where Nick and Howie were sitting on the couch. Kevin was at his desk on the other side of the room, going over paperwork for their new contract. There were two framed photos perched on his desk. The first one was of the two most important women in his life. It was of Ellena holding Lacey in her arms with their cheeks pressed together. Lacey had a huge grin on her face with her short arms wrapped around Ellena’s neck. Ellena’s eyes were squeezed shut and she was hugging Lacey back, equally as tight. The picture had been snapped on the steps of the courthouse mere moments after Lacey had become Ellena’s legally adopted daughter. That night AJ had thrown a huge party at his house in celebration. It was that same night that Kevin had proposed to Ellena.
The other picture on his desk had been taken six months after the first, on their wedding day. Ellena looked absolutely stunning in her dress of embroidered satin and ivory chiffon. The ceremony was beautiful. Cherry and Marci were the bridesmaids. Brian was the best man. Lacey, of course, was the flower girl and she skipped down the aisle holding onto AJ’s hand. Mitch gave the bride away. Kevin remembered how he had trembled as he held her hands and recited his wedding vows to her. Ellena’s voice never wavered as she pledged her love to him.
“Hey Ellena.” Nick brought her to attention.
“Yes?” Ellena replied.
“Do you remember the first time you met us at that record store?”
“Yes, Nick. Why?”
“Do you remember what it was that you said that rendered Kevin completely speechless?”
Ellena grinned wickedly. “Yes.”
“I bet you can’t do it again?” Nick challenged.
Ellena rolled her eyes. “Are you serious?”
“Uh huh! In fact, I’ll bet Howie here five bucks that you can’t.”
Howie’s only response was a laugh.
Ellena donned a determined look at set her sights on Kevin. “Watch and learn boys. Watch and learn.” This was going to be too easy. Ellena turned on her heel and sauntered over to Kevin’s desk. She came up behind him and put her hands on his shoulders. “Oh Kevin?” She beckoned sweetly.
“Uh huh, just a second, I’ve just got to finish…” He replied without taking his eyes off the paper in front of him.
Ellena began to massage the tension out of Kevin’s shoulders. He moaned in response. “Oh that feels so good. Don’t stop sweetie.”
“I just wanted to let you know that your family will be waiting for you to take us out for dinner tonight.” Kevin nodded distractedly and flipped to the next page. Ellena glanced at the two men sitting across the room and smiled.
Nick watched with a vested interest. “She can’t do it anymore.” He said to Howie beside him. “You owe me five bucks.”
“Kevin?” Ellena repeated.
“Uh huh?” He replied, still not looking away from the contract in his hands.
“I said your family will be waiting for you, downstairs.”
“Yeah, I heard you. Family dinner…uh huh.“
Ellena leaned down and whispered into his ear. “Yeah, a family dinner, just the four of us.” She kissed his cheek and straightened up.
Ellena called to Lacey as she walked towards the door. She curtsied before Nick. Lacey appeared in the hallway with AJ in tow. “Lala, can we have grilled cheese for supper? Please mommy?”
Ellena waved to Nick as she walked past him and counted backwards under her breath, just loud enough for him to hear. “3…2…1” She shot him a smile that would make Satan himself squirm in suspense.
Kevin’s pen fell out of his hand and dropped to the floor. His head shot up and his eyes widened comically. He jerked his head towards Ellena and Nick. He pushed his chair back and stood abruptly. He pointed at Ellena as he spoke. “Ellena…You’re…I’m…we’re…?” He stared at her dumbfounded. Nick and Howie burst into laughter.
“Yup, I’ve still got it!” Ellena held her hand out for everyone to high five her on the way by.
“What did you say to him?” Nick asked incredulously.
Ellena smiled at him over her shoulder. “I’ll never tell.”
Nick turned to Howie. “I bet it was something sexual, something really kinky.” He wagered.
Lacey skipped out the door as she yelled good bye to AJ and the rest of the guys.
Kevin watched his wife sashay out the door behind Lacey. He stood there in shock as his friends laughed at him from across the room. Ellena winked at him from the doorway. He stood still by his desk, completely, totally and utterly, speechless.

Finis

* Please click ahead for the letter to my readers *