- Text Size +
Kevin pulled the car up to the ridge and shut off the engine. She watched him through the windshield as he walked around to open the door for her. She had never actually taken a good look at him before that moment. Sure, she knew that he was a very handsome man and that girls everywhere swooned at his feet but she had never really looked at him, Kevin, as a man. A breeze swept a few wisps of hair into his eyes and he reached up to sweep them away. He turned to look at Ellena through the windshield. His emerald eyes pierced her stare and she felt herself blush slightly at getting caught admiring him. He opened her car door and held out a hand for her. She took it and got out of the car. She didn’t feel Kevin shiver involuntarily as her hand slid across his palm. He led her around to the front of the car. Ellena let out a gasp of surprise when she felt his hands on her waist. He snaked his arms around her and lifted her to sit on the hood of the car. Wordlessly, he hopped onto the car beside her and slid back until he leaned against the windshield. Ellena followed suit and leaned back beside him.
“Wow, this is so beautiful.” Ellena whispered as her eyes moved skyward.
“I like to come here and think. Sometimes I just need to get away.” Kevin told her.
“There’s the big dipper.” Ellena pointed to the stars.
“The little dipper is over there.” Kevin pointed in another direction. “And there is your constellation.”
Ellena frowned. “What do you mean my constellation?”
Kevin smiled. “It’s the Orion.”
Ellena laughed. “Yeah, my constellation. It’s just spelled a little different.”
“What is the Orion supposed to be a constellation of anyway?”
“I think it’s supposed to be a warrior or something. I personally can’t see anything for that matter. I think the Greeks were on crack when they named all the constellations.”
They spent two hours simply laying on the car and looking at the stars and talking. They talked about everything from ancient civilizations to the Caramilk secret. Ellena shivered as the breeze picked up a little. Kevin quickly got up and got a sweater from his car. Ellena whispered a muffled thank you as she pulled it over her head. Kevin laughed when she poked her head through the top. It was huge on her. The sleeves bunched all the way up her arms and the waistband hung down to her mid thigh. She giggled at Kevin’s expression.
“Is that better?” Kevin asked.
“A little.” Ellena said softly, suddenly aware of the depth of his green eyes. Without a word, Kevin reached his arm around her back and slid her along the hood of the car towards him. Ellena put her hand flat against his chest to steady herself, suddenly afraid she was about to fall. Kevin breathed in deeper as the faint scent of lavender in her hair slammed his senses. She lifted her gaze to meet his. Her dark gray eyes penetrated to his soul. Their breath mingled. Kevin leaned in closer and finally claimed her mouth with his. A muffled gasp escaped Ellena’s throat as his tongue gently pushed against her lips. She opened more to him, letting him explore her mouth. She could taste the sweetness of the rum and cola he had been drinking earlier that evening. Without realizing it, she moved her hand from his chest and slid it up the side of his neck to his hair. Kevin groaned against Ellena’s lips and she started to tremble. She let out a soft whimper and Kevin broke off the kiss. She opened her eyes in surprise. Kevin realized that he had pinned her against the windshield with his body. He kissed her lips again and straightened his back so as not to squish her. Ellena’s eyes never left his and she looked at him with question.
“What are you thinking Ellena?” He whispered, fighting the urge to ravish her right there on the hood of the car.
Ellena’s expression changed and there was a mischievous glint in her eye. She grinned and raised her arms above her head. “Woohoo!” She giggled. “I don’t have to walk home!”
Kevin rolled his eyes dramatically, grabbed her around the wrists and pulled her arms down behind her back. He leaned into her again and crushed her lips with his. He kissed her more hungrily than before, wanting to taste every bit of her. He opened his eyes and put a little space between them when he felt her trying wiggle her wrists free of his grip. Her breath was coming in shallow pants and her chest heaved against his with each gasp. He grinned at the sight of her swollen pink lips. “No, you don’t have to walk home.” He said with a throaty laugh.

It was two thirty by the time Kevin pulled the car up to Ellena’s building and walked her up to her apartment. He waited as she unlocked the door and motioned for him to keep quiet. He closed the door behind him and heard Ellena softly call out to the babysitter.
“Cherry? Where are you?” Ellena whispered into the apartment. There was no answer. Ellena slipped off her shoes and leaned around the corner of the living room. Cherry was sleeping soundly on the couch. Ellena took the blanket off the back of the couch and unfolded it over the sleeping girl. She smiled at Kevin on her way back through the hall and left him in the entrance to go check on Lacey.
Ellena smiled to herself when she opened the door to Lacey’s room. Lacey was sprawled out, on top of the covers, clutching her stuffed rabbit in one arm and her other arm hanging off the side of the bed. Ellena gently picked her up and placed her back under the covers. Lacey whimpered sleepily and snuggled down onto the bed. Ellena kissed her on the forehead and switched off the tiny lamp on the dresser.
She made her way back to the entrance. Kevin was leaning against the doorframe with his eyes closed. Ellena reached up and brushed her fingers along his jaw line. His eyes opened and he exhaled slowly. “Everything okay?” He asked, taking her hand in his.
“Yes, everyone is safe and sound and asleep.” Kevin brought her hand to his lips and kissed her fingertips. “You should be sleeping too. Thank you for tonight Kevin.” He wrapped one arm around Ellena’s back and pressed her closer to his chest.
“No, thank you Ellena.” He bent and gave her a quick kiss on the lips. Anything more and he wouldn’t have been able to let her go, babysitter and sleeping Lacey be damned. He could have easily set aside all of his inhibitions at that moment and he knew it. He also knew that Ellena was delicate and she deserved more than that. “Good night Ellena.” He whispered and opened the door to leave.
“Good night Kevin.” She squeezed his hand before he let her go and closed the door. “Sleep well.” He whispered before the door was fully closed.
“Yeah right.” Ellena whispered to herself. “Like I’m gonna sleep after that!” She sighed and padded down the hallway to her room.