- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Sorry it's been so long but summer vacay has taken a toll in my writing groove.

Thank you for everyone who has reviewed! Please, keep them coming!


“Remember just breathe. Just breathe.”

“Are you breathing?” Nick asked from behind.

“I’m trying to,” Carrie whispered in return.

“I’m right here, Fairy,” Nick reassured, reaching for her hand.

“Thank you.”

The sound of Carrie’s dad’s footsteps up the walkway interrupted their intimate conversation, causing Nick to pull his warm hand out of Carrie’s.

“This is a well kept property,” Carrie’s dad pointed out as he walked up to the door where Nick and Carrie waited.

“Yeah, Brian is pretty big on privacy and Leighanne has the eye for that kind of stuff,” Nick cheerfully answered to get on Carrie’s father’s good side.

“What do you think is the acreage for this type of lot?” Carrie’s dad asked.

Nick eyes widened at the question and his lack of knowledge. “Shit. I don’t pay attention to this kind of stuff.”

“Dad, it’s probably a good three acres at the very least since it’s a corner lot,” Carrie knowledgeably replied, “and if you’re gonna ask about the market price on this type of house which seems around ten thousand square feet, I would estimate around six million depending on the property value here in Atlanta, which I’m guessing isn’t too high.”

Completely dumbfounded by Carrie’s knowledge on real estate, Nick could only face Carrie with his jaw dropped.

“Yeah, that seems pretty accurate,” Carrie’s dad replied lifting his eyes to take in the house, completely oblivious to Nick’s reaction.

Smiling innocently at Nick, Carrie simply shrugged and proceeded to ring the doorbell. It only took a second before the large oak door was whipped open and Brian’s grin lit up the darkened porch.

“Hey, strangers!” Brian exclaimed, “Don’t stand in the cold all day! Come on in!”

“Whassup, bro?” Nick smiled, grabbing Brian into a one-handed hug and handshake. “Allow me to introduce my good friend, Carrie,” Nick playfully added.

“Very funny,” Carrie replied, rolling her eyes as Brian pulled her into a warm hug.

“It’s been too long,” Brian whispered in her ear, “How have you been, sweetie?”

“Good,” Carrie smiled automatically, slowly pulling away, “This is my dad Brian,” Carrie introduced, gesturing to her father.

“It’s good to meet you again, sir,” Brian smiled, shaking hands with Carrie’s father.

“You too,” Carrie’s father replied succinctly with a nod.

“Let me get your coats and you guys can go on in to the family room,” Brian cheerfully added taking their heavy coats.

Allowing Nick to lead the way, Carrie followed, convincing herself that if she met two Backstreet Boys, then one more and the rest of the family shouldn’t make a difference.

Leading them into the French colonial styled family room, Nick immediately grinned upon seeing Kevin and Kristin.

“Hey bro!” Nick yelled, the inner child in him revealing itself upon seeing his older brother.

“Nick!” Kevin warmly smiled grabbing the younger man in a brotherly hug.

Carrie couldn’t help but smile as she looked upon such a loving display.

“Hey, Carrie. It’s good to see you again,” Reluctantly pulling her eyes away from the two men, Carrie turned to see Kristin with a smile on her face.

“Hey, Mrs--,”

“Don’t even think of calling me Mrs. Richardson! You’ll make me sound like an old fart!” Kristin exclaimed good-humoredly.

Chuckling nervously, Carrie corrected herself, “It’s good to see you again too, Kristin.”

Kristin pulled her into a hug and continued, “You look amazing. Still tiny as I remember you.”

“Too tiny. We gotta get some meat on you!” Kevin chuckled, while shaking hands with Carrie’s father.

“Don’t worry. I’m sure my cooking will get some meat on her!” Leighanne added from the archway of the family room.

After hugging Kristin and Leighanne, Kevin wasted no time to bend down and give Carrie a heartwarming hug, whispering, “We’ve missed you, kiddo.”

Pulling away from Kevin, Carrie simply nodded, holding back the tears that were threatening to come.

“Did I miss the reunion,” Brian asked with a laugh.

“Nope just in time, honey,” Leighanne smiled as Brian wrapped his arm around her waist.

“So, since it’s getting late, let’s get our grub on!” Brian grinned.

“What my husband is trying to say is ‘Supper is ready,’” Leighanne translated good-humoredly.

“Great, I’m starving!” Nick exclaimed.

“Of course you are,” Brian chuckled as he headed out of the room, “I’m gonna go get Baylee. He’s been waiting all day to meet Carrie.”

“And what about his Uncle Nicky?” Nick whined.

“I think he’s tired of hearing his Uncle Nicky whine all the time,” Kevin shot back with a laugh.

Everyone laughed at Nick’s expense, who just shook his head with a grin, as they headed to the dining table. The dining room was tastefully setup with the antique furniture and warm colored walls. Seven seats and one high chair were set with glassware and fine china.

“Wow, Leighanne you went all out,” Nick remarked.

“It looks beautiful, Leighanne,” Carrie smiled warmly at their host.

“Thank you, Carrie,” Leighanne replied showing everyone to their seats. It wasn’t long before Brian came walking in with Baylee in his arms.

“Nick!” Baylee exclaimed, jumping from Brian’s arms to run to Nick’s legs.

“Hey, little man!” Nick equally exclaimed, grabbing Baylee and throwing him up in the air. After blowing a raspberry on his cheek, Nick turned Baylee to Carrie and said, “Hey man, I want you to meet a good friend of mine. This is Carrie.”

“Hi Baylee,” Carrie cooed.

“Ca-wee? Are you Nick’s Fawee?” Baylee asked shyly.

Knowing that Carrie’s father was looking on at the interaction, Brian attempted to save the situation by quickly adding, “She’s our Fairy, Bay.”

Scrunching up his nose, Baylee asked curiously, “Why?”

Smiling at his adorable son, Brian took him out of Nick’s arms, placing him in his high-chair saying, “She’s our Fairy because she saved our lives and that’s what fairies do.”

Smiling graciously at Brian, Nick risked a quick glance at Carrie to see her softly smiling with tears grazing her eyes.

“Okay, so let’s get the grub going,” Brian chuckled.