- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
So I haven't written in a long time and looking back at this chapter, it reads very corny. I don't know maybe it's just me. Let me know what you think!
Letting out a deep breath, Carrie allowed the cold Atlanta air blow her hair from her face from the balcony of the hotel. Shivering slightly at the chilly wind, Carrie smiled at how wonderful Atlanta winter weather was in comparison to the brutal Chicago winter and leaned further over the railing to see the traffic lights.

“Isn’t it kinda cold to be standing out here your PJs?” a familiar voice asked, interrupting the quiet hum of the city life below.

“You are such a wuss, Florida boy,” Carrie responded in amusement without turning around.

“It’s Mr. Tampa Man to you,” Nick chuckled as he walked over to stand next to Carrie. Leaning his forearms on the cold metal railing, Nick gazed down at the world beneath them. After a few seconds of prolonged silence where Nick breathed in the Atlanta air, Nick commented, “So, the dinner went well, don’t you think?”

Smiling slightly at the offhand comment, Carrie responded, “Yeah. Yeah, it did.”

“See, what did I tell you. You had nothing to worry about,” Nick grinned turning his head to face Carrie.

Trying to suppress a smile Carrie mumbled, “Yeah, you were right.”

“What was that? I’m sorry, I didn’t hear you,” Nick pressed good-humoredly.

Not being able to withhold her smile any longer Carrie grinned and gently nudged Nick with her elbow, “Shut up.”

Another moment of silence passed as Carrie and Nick both gazed upon the Atlanta skyline. The silence was neither awkward nor uncomfortable by any means. It was familiar.

After gazing upon the world below them, Carrie raised her eyes to the sky to only be disappointed with the view above. Shivering at both the oncoming cold wind and the hidden stars, Carrie rubbed her bare arms to warm herself.

“You’re cold too,” Nick noticed, wrapping his arm around Carrie’s shoulder to bring her close to his body. “You never ever did tell me when you were cold.”

“But you always knew anyway,” Carrie whispered, her heart rate accelerating. In an instant the comfortable silence turned uncomfortable with their unmentionable intimacy and moments they shared in the past weighing their thoughts.

Sighing, Carrie pulled away from Nick and headed inside the luxurious room.

Shaking his head, Nick brushed his fingers through his hair and followed Carrie’s path to the room. Seeing Carrie sitting at the edge of the bed playing with her cell phone, Nick made his way over to her and kneeled in front of her. “We need to talk,” Nick stated with an air of resolution, resting his hands upon hers.

Looking up from the cell phone, Carrie’s eyes met Nick’s with apprehension. The glow of the cell phone in the darkness of the hotel room casted an eerie glow upon Nick’s sea-blue eyes bringing out the depth of his worry. “Maybe this isn’t the right time, Nick,” Carrie observed sadly.

Closing his eyes to hide the frustrations of the inopportune moments that arose whenever they attempted to progress their relationship, “You’re right. Your dad is leaving tomorrow morning and we need to get up early,” Nick rationalized. “But,” Nick paused, “tomorrow we gotta talk. You and me. You know, like we used to.”

Licking her lips, Carrie replied knowing that any sense of moving on could only occur through communication, “Okay.”

Seeing the confirmation in her eyes, Nick raised his face up to press his lips to her forehead, praying that all would bode well the following day. Removing his lips from her forehead, Nick looked into her eyes and confirmed, “Tomorrow?”

“Tomorrow,” Carrie whispered in reply.

Nodding his head with a slight smile Nick whispered, “Goodnight, my Fairy.”