- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
If there's anything you're confused about, please let me know. :) The clearer I can make this, the better. :)
Every heart has a soul of light and darkness. They coexist, as a tribute to the world of balance. When the world began, it was a sea of blackness and chaos; the God Atem rose from the sea of disorder on a lotus. He was the king of gods, the protector of light and hope.

I was born from his familial loins. And I will stand here with you at the bank of the river Sanzu while you make your choice, my companion and guardian.

~*~


“Darren-chan, are you free after school?” I leaned next to his desk.

His deep green eyes slowly peered over the binding of his book, allowing him to partially enter the real world from his world of fantasy and wonder. He was the only boy in school who held a book in his hands during lunch. Even Uriel-kun threw a basketball around in what free time he had.

It was an average preparatory school, with an iron gate and a looming bell tower. The blue uniforms of the students streamed across the campus in a sea of identicalness. And we all came forward toward our education, though not in the same way. I came to school only to see my friends—an administrative nightmare—and yet, I managed to pull myself along somehow. He was different, almost god-like compared to me and everyone else. Dashing good looks, a house that rivaled a palace, money he could actually toss from his hands, and he excelled in academics. His was a life of paradoxes, people envied and loved him for his possessions, his family drew close and shattered because of their status, his prideful heart uplifted and drowned him. That was the paradox of the rich; what elated them only drug them into darkness.

He closed the book and placed it lightly on the desk, running his hands along the hard cover. He stared up at me with his deep green eyes and let a half-hearted smile cross his face, “I have to prepare for the benefit my family is hosting. Sorry… Rianna-chan.”

Mine was the only name he ever uttered, even in his lowered breath. His prideful heart refused to recognize his loneliness, or those who claimed to be his friends. I was the only lucky one he called by name, because back then, I rescued him from his perpetual darkness.

~*~


Back then, his heart was not the only lonely one; I was equally guilty of hiding in unending darkness. I was very small, in stature and in confidence. But, I suppose it was that opposition that pulled us together. An arrogant and prideful heart which seeks to fraternize with an equally arrogant and prideful heart follows the pattern of two lions battling while falling down the side of a cliff; in the end, neither wins dominance and both meet their demise.

A sandbox held my dreams as a child, a world in which I was the princess of an unknown fantastical land. It was a world I could only imagine. But I had no idea that the world of my childhood wonder would lead me to the future.

A boy in black shorts and an ironed shirt with a small tie stood above my small form.

I turned to face him, my small face smiling, “Want to play?”

The small blond child slowly shifted his head to each side, searching for the figures behind him that I called to. Of course, it was only he who stood there. He blushed at my warm smile that greeted only him. Our lives changed that day; we both gained something to heal our broken hearts.

~*~


I gave him a brief smile, “Another one?”

He gave me another weak smile, “Yes, they run rampant these days.”

I leaned down to him once more, “By the way… What book is that?”

He held up the book up to my eyes, “It discusses stocks.”

I put my hands on his desk lightly, “You’re reading a book about stocks?”

He set the book back down and gave me a smile, “Investment is the key to money.”

“You need more?”

“You can never have too much money.”

I lowered my head and let out a sigh. As ridiculous as it seemed, he was highly likely to read a book about stocks during the lunch break.

~*~


I grabbed my shoes from my shoe locker. Tapping my toe against the ground, I tightened the straps on my backpack and looked toward Darren’s shoe locker; it was empty. I lowered my head; he really did have a lot to do before that benefit. I let out a low sigh.

“Rianna-chan…” A male voice snuck up from behind me.

I placed my hand on my shoe locker and turned to face the voice. I was met with a smiling face surrounded by sea foam green bangs. I put my hand to my heart, “Uriel-kun…”

He put his hand to my shoulder, “Isn’t Kalil-kun with you?”

I shook my head, “No, he had to get ready for a benefit.”

He let out a low sigh, “He always has to do something, doesn’t he?”

I gave him a low nod, “It comes with the territory… The children of the wealthy rarely have the ability to control their own lives.”

Uriel put his arms behind his head and gave me his trademark movie poster smile, “Glad I’m not rich! That means I can go about my life as I please.”

“Oh…” I gave him a sly grin, “Like avoiding your fan club?”

He put his hands up defensively and gave a low chuckle, “Hey, what they do after school is their own business.”

I put my hands to my hips, “Isn’t that usually following you around?”

“Maybe there was a sale at the mall or something. I can’t always be accountable for them.” He shrugged his shoulders and sauntered toward the door.

I closed my shoe locker in finality, “Does that mean I don’t always have to keep track of Darren-chan?”

He turned and gave me a wink, “No… You still have to do that.”

I hurried after him, “That’s mean, Uriel-kun!”

He laughed once more.

That was the one thing about him, he always had a happy face to mask his pain. I envied that in him.

“Rianna-chan!! Akin-kun!!” a shrill voice cried.

I put my hand to my head; leaving school was always an ordeal. Uriel and I turned to face the voice and were met by a uniformed girl in pale blue pigtails adorned with blue bows.

Uriel covered his face with his arm, “Lauren-chan, did you come to scold me about my fan club?”

Lauren let out a sigh, “I wish you wouldn’t ditch them… But actually I came to tell Rianna-chan about the sale at the shoe store.”

I shuddered at Uriel’s matter-of-fact look. Fine… Fine, maybe his fan club had all left to go to the shoe store. I adjusted my backpack straps once more as Lauren fell into step with us.

“So, what are we all doing tonight?” she gave a cheerful smile.

Uriel put his hand to his chin, “I’m going to practice my kendo.” He gave her a bright smile.

Lauren smiled in return, “How fun, Akin-kun. Rianna-chan?”

I hung my head, “My homework…”

Her response was a puzzled expression, “You aren’t seeing Kalil-kun?”

I shook my head, “No, he’s preparing for a benefit his family is hosting.”

She put her hand to her head, “If it’s not one thing with him, it’s another…” She let out an exasperated sigh.

I gave her a brief smile, “It happens some times.”

She let out another sigh, “There’s too much to do when you’re rich… I don’t like it…”

I let out a giggle, “Well, I’m sure you’d be a trophy wife, so you wouldn’t have to do that much.”

“Is his mom a trophy wife?”

“No, she’s a teacher.”

“And she still has to go to all the business and social events?”

“Well… Yes…”

She wove her hand in my face, “I don’t want money, I don’t want money.”

“But then you could buy more food,” Uriel let out a laugh, “Exquisite food at that.”

Lauren pulled out her wallet and examined the meager bills in it, “I could buy a chocolate parfait…”

I put my hand on her shoulder and let out a small chuckle, “Lauren-chan… You can buy a chocolate parfait now.”

She examined her wallet again, “No… I still don’t have enough—” She felt a large smack at that moment and dropped her wallet.

I turned to her, “Lauren-chan?”

We both looked in front of her.

“Akin-kun…” She rubbed her head, and then bent down to pick up her wallet, “Why did you stop?”

Uriel rose his hand and pointed toward a silhouette in the distance, “Isn’t that… Kalil-kun?”

I followed Uriel’s gaze. It was true… Darren stood in front of us! I stood puzzled for a moment, wondering why he was in the local shopping district before the benefit. My confusion was cut short as Lauren and Uriel ran toward him. “Wait!” I thrust my hand forward as I began running after them.

It was in that moment that he turned to face us. His shadowed expression seemed to reflect his clenched fists. I shrank back momentarily; why did that frighten me?

Lauren turned back to me, “Rianna-chan?” Her face now reflected my worried expression.

I shook off my worry and ran toward her with a cheerful smile. I began waving my arms, “Darren-chan! Darren-chan!”

He rose his head to look into my eyes. His shining green eyes were shrouded in only darkness.

I took in a quick breath. Strange… I stood before him; his soul gave the foul stench of darkness.

“Goddess…” he gave me a wicked smirk.

I stepped back quickly. That was a name only a few dared utter to me... And to him I was only ‘Rianna-chan.’ I shut my eyes. “Darren-chan… ‘Goddess,’ am I?”

He lowered his head and put his hand to the side of his hip, it was then that I noticed the hilt at his side.

Uriel pulled me back.

“Uriel-kun!?”

Uriel put his mouth to my ear as he continued to pull me back, “Run.” It was in that moment he pulled Lauren back as well.

I put my hand to my heart, “But… Darren-chan…”

The sound of metal rang through our ears.

“Run!!” Uriel exclaimed, finally pushing Lauren and I away.

Lauren grabbed my wrist hurriedly, “Rianna-chan! We have to go!”

I clenched my fist, “No… I’m going to fight!”

“Rianna-chan!”

I lowered my head, “It’s different with us, Lauren-chan. There are those to run from and those to battle…” I clasped the heart-shaped charm at my neck, “I won’t dishonor Darren-chan by running from him.”

Lauren clenched her fist, “Then, I want to fight too.”

I gave her a nod as I pulled my backpack from my back and set it on the ground. I clenched the zipper and pulled it open quickly. My solar disc scepter… I clenched my hand tightly around its handle. It was time to battle. I closed my eyes and rose my scepter, “HIKARI MAHOU HENSHIN!!”

I felt the bright light surrounding me; my magic filled my veins. I emerged from my eclipse of light wearing my battle outfit. Short white dress, tall boots emblazoned with golden ankhs, golden bracelets, golden arm bands, golden waist cuffs, and a golden collar. I clenched the elongated handle of my scepter as I shut my eyes. Darren-chan… The time for our battle has come!

Lauren clenched her fist and pulled a card from the pocket of her jacket. “The Goddess of Fate predicts our destiny.” She lowered her head to look at the card, “The Devil controls the outcome of this battle.”

I shrunk back, “The Devil?!”

She closed her eyes momentarily, “The Devil represents self-bondage, a force that keeps us from growing.”

I lowered my head and let out a low growl. Growing how? Self-bondage? To bind myself to friendship… Was that something held by the Devil? Or… Was it our other fate…? All are pulled toward the Goddess of light; it is their fate. Until the moment light can overcome darkness, we are all bound by the chains of our past and future. I lowered my head. The Devil… is the card the Goddess of Fate chose to watch over us for eternity. I put my hand to my heart. Self-bondage… I shut my eyes. Darren-chan… Today, we will break our chains. My eyes shot open; this was the end.

It was at that moment that Uriel ran toward us.

“Akin-kun!” Lauren exclaimed.

Uriel seemed to spit at us in anger, “I thought I told you both to run !”

I lowered my head, “Uriel-kun… As an honorable fighter, you should know… Darren-chan is too noble for us to leave him without a battle.”

Uriel lowered is head, “Rianna-chan… Do you no longer fear death?”

I lowered my scepter, “Did I ever?”

Uriel lowered his head, “In the beginning….” He clenched his fist, “In the beginning, we each had something we wanted; we were all selfish… Life… meant more than duty. Life in the sense of wanting to live.” He snarled at himself, “But now we all realize the importance of living because, we promised we would.”

I clenched my fist, “Uriel-kun… Our destiny is that of chains… Our chains… Our lives are eternally connected in a string.”

Lauren lowered her head, “Ours… is a destiny of chains?”

There was a maniacal laugh, “How appropriate… A Goddess in chains.”

We turned to face our friend and companion.

“Darren-chan!”

Uriel clenched his fist, “Kalil-kun…” He grabbed Darren’s wrist in a swift snap, “Your chains are tightly wound with ours.”

He scoffed at us with a cruel expression.

Uriel released his grip on Darren’s wrist. “Fight, Kalil-kun!”

Darren rose his sword to Uriel.

I clasped my hands tightly together, “Uriel-kun… Are you going to battle without a weapon?”

Uriel clenched his fists, “I’ll honor an opponent of Kalil-kun’s caliber by fighting only with my fists!”

“Akin-kun!!!” Lauren shrieked.

Darren shoved Uriel aside, “Live or die in your chains! Only the Goddess is under my control!”

I was flung to the ground. “Darren-chan!!!”

He thrust his sword toward me; I rose my scepter horizontally in defense.

He gave a low hiss in response.

Darren-chan…. I don’t want to fight you.

He aimed for me again.

I rose my scepter toward him, “FLARING GLISTEN DEMISE!!!”

The blast of light flung Darren from me and against the ground.

I stood up cautiously at the same instant he was standing.

He ran toward me again, sword poised for the kill.

I shut my eyes; I felt the splatter of blood against my cheeks. Blood…. It was at that moment that I opened my eyes.

“Akin-kun!!” Lauren shrieked.

Uriel’s blood stained my cheeks. I stood motionless, my limbs shaking beneath me. My knees dropped out from under me.

Uriel fell to his knees.

I put my hands to my face, and let out a shriek, “Uriel-kun!!!!!”

Lauren dropped the cards from her pocket. “Akin-kun!!” She clenched her fist tightly as it began shaking; her rage consumed her heart. She skidded over to Darren and rose her hand.

He let out a maniacal laugh.

She slapped his cheek, “What are you doing?!?! Killing your friend!! Attacking Rianna-chan!!! What’s wrong with you?!?!?”

Darren held his throbbing cheek and blinked.

“Are you insane?!?!” Lauren shrieked.

Darren fell to his knees. He lifted his head; tears streamed down his cheeks. “Rianna-chan…”

Lauren stood next to his sobbing form and turned to face me.

Uriel leaned toward me.

I looked up at his strained face, “Uriel-kun…”

He rose his hand to my cheek and dried a few streams of tears. “Rianna-chan, don’t cry your tears for me.”

“Uriel-kun… Our chains… We’re all connected by the string of fate….”

Uriel gripped my hand, “Not chains… Rianna-chan… We are bound together. Every heart in the other.”

I clenched his hand tightly, “How… can I live without you? Everyone else… is dying slowly… I’m not strong enough…” The tears continued to stream down my cheeks.

Uriel smiled and put his hand on my shoulder, “You are strong. Everyone’s heart is in yours. No one can die, if you still hold them close.”

“Uriel-kun…”

He laid himself on the ground and clenched my hand tightly once more, “Rianna-chan… You are more than a beautiful Goddess… You make wishes come true.”

“Wishes…”

He shut his eyes, “Yami no Kami’s wish to go to Heaven… The prodigies’ wish to find peace… My wish…”

“Uriel-kun…” My voice shook violently.

“My angel wings can take flight to Heaven,” he smiled, “I died heroically… Rescuing someone I loved.”

I gripped his hand.

He brushed away my curls and placed a kiss on my cheek. “You’re easy to love… Rianna-chan…” He lowered his head and his hand, “I know why… everyone was drawn… to you…”

“Uriel-kun!”

He closed his eyes once more, “Thank you.” He dropped his hand from mine.

I grasped it quickly once more, “Uriel-kun! Uriel-kun! Your healing power! Can’t you use that!?!”

He brushed my hand lightly, “The wound is far too deep… or I would have done so….”

“Let me! I’ll heal you!” I placed my hand on his chest.

He gave me a faint smile, “Rianna-chan… Save your power… to rescue Darren-chan…” He smile grew wider, “I’m happy…. I get to see Calum-kun…”

The tears streamed down my cheeks as I lowered my head, “I’m sure Calum-kun is waiting for you in Heaven…”

He smiled and gave a weak nod.

I set his hand on the ground, “Uriel-kun….”

Darren’s hands hit the ground. “How could I….” The tears streamed down his cheeks.

Lauren stood silent, watching both Darren and I.

I hung my head. “Lauren-chan…”

She shook off her shock and turned directly to me.

“Get help, Lauren-chan…” I shut my eyes, “Bring Samara-chan here…”

Lauren scooped her cards from the ground and ran from where Darren and I kneeled upon the ground.

Darren stared at his hands, “How could I…”

“Uriel-kun…” I sniffed my tears.

“You killed your friend, murderer,” a voice snarled.

I lifted my head in a frantic snap.

Darren held the sides of his head tightly. Tears streamed down his cheeks, “I’m not a murderer!”

I dropped my hands from Uriel’s body, “Darren-chan!”

He let out a second cackle, “Murder! Death! Blood stained hands!”

I stood awkwardly as I grabbed my scepter, “Darren-chan!!”

“My hands aren’t blood stained!!!” His tears turned into rambling, “I wouldn’t kill one of my best friends!!!”

I grabbed Darren’s shoulders. For him to call Uriel one of his friends, let alone one of his best friends, meant his mind was slowly unraveling. I pulled him closely to me.

He let out a low chuckle, “Do you see her caress you? That is pity… Pity for a murderer…”

He let out a deafening scream as he scrambled from my grasp and dropped to his knees.

“Darren-chan!”

He lifted his head slowly, giving me a wicked grin, “His heart is gone, Goddess.”

I clenched my fist, “No!”

He gave a low laugh, “I sank his conscious into submission. He will never awaken again.” He laughed once more as he stood from his position, “Even my servant was strong enough to keep his body from becoming an empty shell to house me.” His laughing increased.

My fist began shaking. “Darren-chan…”

He continued to laugh.

“How… could you…”

He rose his sword to my neck, “Will you die quietly now?”

I scrambled from his grip and clenched my scepter tightly. It began to shine brightly. “AUREILA!!!” The scepter became a golden shining sword; the hilt was decorated with the solar disc. I lowered my head, “Aureila….”

“So, you remember how to summon your sword, Goddess…” he spat.

Darren-chan… Is this what our friendship comes to? Are we destined to only crumble and shatter beneath the hands of stronger powers? I gripped the hilt of my sword. I promised when we were little… I promised…

~*~


The small boy in front of me blushed, “We’re… friends?”

I gave him a bright, childish smile and held out my pinky finger, “Yup, it’s a promise. I’ll be your friend until our last breath.”

His face brightened and he returned my cheerful smile as he grasped my pinky finger with his own.

~*~


Until our last breath, Darren-chan… I looked into his eyes that were clouded with only darkness. How could such mesmerizing green eyes be blackened so quickly? I clenched my fist; the goddess of fate was playing a cruel trick against us… Against me. Ages upon ages, the guardian of light and the guard of darkness battled and died. When the guard of darkness vanished, the guardian of light should be vanquished. Light and darkness coexisted without bounds. Human beings increased the darkness of the world and released the wicked powers of darkness. To battle for light meant to ignore the darkness, yet, every person possessed a shadow. No one could question the meaning of existence without a dark half. Even Atem, the king of gods, rose from the dark abyss. And in the end, by killing my rival of darkness, I created a more painful darkness. I lowered my head and clenched my fist. Atem, give me strength.

I looked into his eyes again. Darren-chan… You don’t deserve this fate… I let out a low snarl as I clenched my fist. Here we stand, Darren-chan, at the banks of the Sanzu River. Fate had thrown us into a cruel façade of killing and death. And you had chosen the path of only darkness. But this cruel fate should not belong to you, Mizu o Mamoru. No, you were the destined guardian of the earth beneath my right eye and the left eye of Yami no Kami.

~*~


“Damon-kun!!!!” I shrieked as I ran toward him.

He reached his hand toward me. His orange bangs flowed in front of his eyes; it was the first moment I could see the receding darkness within them. He embraced me within his arms and lowered his head.

“Damon-kun…” I put my hand to his heart, “Are you… in pain?”

He lowered his head, “No… I can feel the light of Heaven shining on me.”

Darren knelt beside me, “Balin-kun!”

A smile began to spread across Damon’s face, “Kalil-kun… I thought no one besides Rianna-chan received redeeming honorifics…”

Darren turned away, “You… were possessed by Samuru and managed to retain a shard of your soul. If that is not redeeming, I am not sure what is.”

Damon’s smile grew as he lowered his hand from mine, “In the end, it looked like my heart was strong enough to overcome the darkness.” He turned to Darren, “Kalil-kun, I apologize for placing your earth in danger…”

Darren blinked, “My earth?”

Damon closed his eyes momentarily, “Our celestial triad. Hikari no Megami protects Heaven and holds the right eye of light, Yami no Kami stands guard at the door of Hell and holds the left eye of darkness, and Mizu o Mamoru is watched by both as his hands hold the earth closely.” He opened his eyes once more, “Our battle put the earth in danger. We fought for the heart of the world. And… Maybe now you and Rianna-chan can give the world an existence only beneath Horus’ right eye.”

Darren clenched his fist, “Balin-kun…. What happened to you being third in command?” He slammed his hand to the ground, “We were supposed to battle Samuru with our combined strength!”

I lowered my head, “Darren-chan…”

Damon closed his eyes once more, “His heart within mine… If it would help… I’ll take it to Hell with me.”

“Damon-kun!!”

He smiled briefly as his breathing slowed, “I will do anything to help your cause… Rianna-chan.”

Tears welled in my eyes, “Damon-kun…”

He put his hand to his heart, “Black…”

Darren reached toward him, “Balin-kun!”

“…Burning…”

“Damon-kun!!”

“ELIMINATION!!!”

A black vortex shot from his hand.

I grabbed the hand from his heart and held it tightly within my own, “Damon-kun! I will shoulder all of your darkness!” I shut my eyes as I clenched his hand with all my strength, “STARBURST ELIMINATION!!!!!”

“Rianna-chan…” Damon’s eyes shook fiercely.

“Rianna-chan!!!” Darren clenched his fist and grabbed my shoulder.

~*~


I shut my eyes. In realizing the final wish of one third of our triad, I was destined to send my most beloved to the depths of hell…. I clenched my fist as I stared back into his eyes. At the banks of the Sanzu…

Darren-chan… You are too honorable to let you live in this world in a perpetual hell… I lowered my head. Is this the only way? Tears bean streaming from my eyes as I raised my head to look into his eyes once more, “Darren-chan…”

He clenched the hilt of the blade, “Are you prepared to admit your death wish?”

I closed my eyes, “I will admit no death wish to you, Samuru!”

He smirked, “Oh… So, you know who I am now…”

I placed my hand against the blade of my sword, “Samuru… I have no words for you. No matter the outcome of our battle, I won’t give Darren-chan to you!”

He smirked, “I already have him…”

I lowered my head, “No. Like Damon-kun before him, I will never let you have his heart!”

He lowered his head, “His heart is meaningless to me. He is an empty shell; I overpower him completely.”

I clenched my fist, “No. His love and friendship is locked tightly with my heart… As long as I have that….” I released my fist to point at him, “You can never own him!”

He rose his sword and gave it a swift swing, “CHAOS BLADE!!!”

I gripped my sword tightly. Aureila… Forgive me… I rose the sword to defend from the black streams of metallic darkness.

He gave me a silent curse.

I shut my eyes once more, “Darren-chan… I know you can hear me in the depths of your heart. Don’t let Samuru strike his claws within your heart…” The tears began falling from my eyes, “I can’t think of any other way… And… you are too honorable for me to let you die in his grasp.”

He chuckled, “The owner of this empty shell cannot hear you, Goddess.”

I clenched my hands around the hilt of my sword, “At the edge of the Sanzu, we await our fate… I had hoped you would awaken and let me see your heart once more… But…” The last tear drops fell from my eyes, “I’ll guide you to your death.”

He began laughing, “You would kill your companion to get to me?”

“Samuru! I told you! You lose! I will never give you Darren-chan’s precious heart!”

He smirked, “Even when it means your death?”

I lowered my head and rose my hand to my heart, “My Goddess heart exists infinitely without bounds! Death is meaningless! In death, we will find a new life!”

He laughed maniacally.

“This is… the end.” I thrust my sword toward his abdomen, “Darren-chan! Come with me! Let’s cross the Sanzu!”

We stood in darkness for a moment.

He put his hand to his abdomen, “Why… Why? Rianna-chan…” Tears welled in his eyes.

I dropped my blade to the floor. “Darren-chan!” My eyes filled with tears as well, “Your heart will never be ruled by darkness…”

He grabbed my back and pulled me toward him. “Why… Rianna-chan…?”

I grabbed his hand, “Will you realize my wish, Darren-chan?”

He knees began shaking, “I don’t… want to die…”

“Kill me and we’ll go together,” I clenched his hand tightly, “Together across the Sanzu.”

Tears welled in his eyes, “How… How can I kill you…?”

I rose his hand that held the sword, “I stand here with you on the bank of the Sanzu until you make your choice…” I pulled his hand and the blade toward me. It pierced my flesh.

He dropped to his knees and let out a mournful cry. “Rianna-chan…”

I held his hand tightly as I let myself fall to the ground as well. I rose it to my cheek and gave him a weak smile, “At the edge of the river… Our hearts get to be together.” Tears streamed down my cheeks, “Finally… We can die together…”

“Rianna-chan…” He took in his last breath as he fell to the ground.

I shut my eyes as I placed my free hand over my abdomen, “Together… at the bank of the Sanzu… Darren-chan…”