- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
I hope I didn't have to post the picture that I wrote the story for...It's the one of Brian hugging Nick LOL I think it's obvious from the story, though. Enjoy!
They are something else. But, I suppose, to be fair, I should say we are something else. We, the Backstreet Boys, are definitely something else. Something crazy, wild, and, at the same time, solid and secure.

But, in all honesty, the two of them are just something else all together.

When we first started out, they were the last two I’d expected to be friends. There were several years separating them, including puberty, that should’ve kept them from being so close but nope. They met, they shook hands, and then they bonded like glue. They stuck together like flies to flypaper…or something.

Those first several years, they just wouldn’t quit. If it wasn’t Nick getting in trouble for pulling a stupid prank, it was Brian. Brian got away with more things, though, to be honest. There was something about that smile of his, those eyes, and the fact that most people thought he was too mature to have pulled those pranks. Anyone who thought that was so, so, so wrong.

Like the time I woke up to find an eyebrow missing. I raised holy hell that time, and Nick got most of the blame. Initially.

When Brian saw me, his eyes got really wide, and he couldn’t quite hide the giggle. “What’d you do to yourself, Howie D? You’re not supposed to shave your forehead, silly.”

Don’t ask me how I knew he’d done it, but I just did. With the two of them, it’s instinct. Fortunately, Kevin, AJ, and I learned to avoid encounters with their fast fingers. Nick calls me Stealth D, but I should be the one telling you about all those times that…Well, that’s for another time.

After the hiatus, the pranks definitely stopped. We were older, more mature, and the two of them didn’t really spend all that much time together anymore. In fact, it was a miracle if you found them talking to each other when there wasn’t work to be done. Brian was now obsessed with his family, while Nick was more often than not hiding from his. I think Brian sensed Nick’s loneliness. If you ask me, though, Brian didn’t try to fix anything because he’d forgotten how to and now felt awkward learning to deal with Nick again. Their lives had gone in two very different directions, and both of them were painfully aware of it.

We were in Europe to promote Never Gone, and our itinerary that day included yet another live music countdown show…Or was it just a talk show? We’ve done so many that I lose track now. And, no, it’s not because I’m getting old. Kevin’s the one who’s hiding his grays, not me. Nope.

So, anyway, there we were, in the Green Room of yet another studio, and we all knew something was bugging Nick. He didn’t say anything, and we knew. He was broody and snapped at AJ when AJ offered him a bottle of water.

“Fuck off, McLean,” he’d growled, and we just knew it was going to be a bad interview. Let’s be honest, shall we? Nick is the one that the fans come to see and hear. The rest of us are amazing singers and have our own, small group of fans, but Nick is the blond Boy Wonder of the group. He can do no wrong, and the interviewers send all the questions his way. With a few tossed to the rest of us, of course.

So, with Nick’s attitude the way it was, I just knew something was going to go wrong. But there was no time to talk him out of the mood because we were ushered out almost immediately to the stage.

As we all watched Nick struggle not to snarl every answer, I could sense Brian’s discomfort. He stood next to me and clenched and unclenched his fists every two seconds. I knew he was nervous, and, don’t ask me how I know this, but I knew he thought it was his fault that Nick was so surly. I don’t know why, except maybe the two of them had fought earlier. Those days, they were prone to that sort of interaction.

So what does the man do? I ask you, what would any sane man do in such a situation? Does he try to take the attention away from his upset friend by answering the questions that the hosts threw at us? No, indeed. See, that’s what AJ, Kevin, or I would’ve done.

Not Brian.

“Hey, guys! I’m so glad that everyone is so excited about the album. I’m so excited that I just need to do…this!

Next thing we know, Brian jumped Nick. No lie. Not even kidding you here. Brian was all over Nick like white on rice. Like a wrapper on chocolate. Like a tortilla to refried beans…Sorry. I’m hungry, and the only analogies coming are food related. I’ll stop now.

Before we could even react, the room was full of female shrieking, and I think I lost some of my hearing that day. I think Brian may have slobbered a kiss on Nick’s cheek, too. I’m not sure of that, though, but, knowing Brian, there is a distinct possibility that it happened.

There’s a lot I don’t remember in the blur that the moment was. However, one thing was absolutely clear.

Amidst the commotion, a smile spread across Nick’s face before the laugh spilled forth and, as I watched, his arms encircled Brian and hugged him back. Before I knew it, the rest of us were pulled into the hug, and I was laughing, too.

Like I said, we’re something else. And we’ll just never stop.