- Text Size +
“So, you’re a writer?” Howie frowned as the waiter brought more drinks for everyone. Alex nodded and smiled at the waiter appreciatively.

“Yes, but I haven’t published anything,” she shook her head. “The right idea just hasn’t come around yet.” She smirked as Nick approached the table again and sat down. “I work a little on the side as a freelance writer every now and then for a local newspaper.”

“That’s interesting,” AJ smiled, completely in a trance from her beautiful brown eyes. She smiled under all the attention and looked down at the table.

“Enough grilling,” Leighanne smiled and shook her head. “Alex, I think these boys might be crushing on you.” She smirked. Alex laughed, once more and blushed again.

“Isn’t that a weird coincidence? Your name is Alex…and my name is Alex,” AJ smirked. “I think fate is trying to bring us together…we better nip this in the ass before it’s too late.” He winked. Before he could stand and offer her his hand to walk around, Nick got to his feet and put his hand out.

“Alex, do you want to go over to the bar and get a drink?” He asked, completely oblivious that the waiter had just replenished all the drinks.

“Um…” she didn’t really know what to say. “Sure.” She smiled. This was her plan. She was trying to get Nick to fall madly in love with her. So she might as well get started.

“This is so weird…you being here,” he cleared his throat, really unsure of what to say. “I mean, crazy coincidence, huh? You meeting Leighanne and showing up at the benefit…”

“Yeah, I know…crazy,” Alex’s little confidence she once had began to diminish at his suspicion. “I tried calling you the other day…I really am sorry about the whole meeting in the bathroom thing.” She tucked one of the loose pieces of hair behind her ear.

“Please, stop apologizing,” he smirked, his confidence resurfacing.

“I had no idea you were in a band,” she muttered as they took their time making their way to the bar. He smirked down at her as they both leaned against the cool granite.

“Really?” He frowned. “Typically girls start stalking me when they find out I’m in a band.”

“You think I’m stalking you?” Alex was a little taken back by the statement. She didn’t need him to think she was following him around on purpose, even though she really was following him around on purpose.

“No…not necessarily,” he frowned. “See, I just think it’s kinda weird that you…” he trailed off when he realized it really wasn’t weird at all. Like Brian had said, it all unfolded to be a big coincidence. “Never mind. No, I don’t think you’re stalking me.” He smiled.

“Good…because that would be embarrassing,” she smiled. “And honestly, I think I’ve been embarrassed enough in front of you for one lifetime.”

“Ah, then you don’t know me well enough,” Nick laughed. This made Alex smile. God, he was so breathtaking. “I embarrass the hell out of myself everywhere I go. The guys and I have been together for over ten years now and everyone knows I’ve embarrassed myself in front of them enough times for one lifetime.” Alex smiled and leaned against the bar.

“What can I get you?” The bartender interrupted.

“I’ll just have a coke and rum,” Nick smirked at the bartender and glanced at Alex for her order. She bit her bottom lip, completely unsure of what to order. She was new at this. And wasn’t a coke and rum slightly tacky for a celebrity like Nick Carter? Then again, what did she know?

“Oh, um,” she watched a woman carry off a Cosmopolitan martini and smirked. “A Cosmo, please.” She smiled and opened up her black pocketbook to pay for the drink.

“It’s on me,” Nick’s hand stopped her and a smile graced his lips.

“Well, thank you,” she smiled and waited for the bartender to bring her drink. Nick took care of the cost and they fell into step, neither one really sure as to where they were going. “So, how’s life on the road?” She asked, trying to make small talk.

“We haven’t really done much touring lately,” Nick explained and took a sip from his drink. “We’ve been really busy back in the studio again trying to pull out another record. We had a fifth member who just left the band, so it’s been difficult trying to cover his share of the music without him here.”

“Understandable,” Alex nodded and took a drink. Wow, that was good. She smiled down at the drink in her hands, cautiously sipping it so she wouldn’t get ahead of herself. “I’m surprised you guys don’t get attacked by fans here at these kinds of events.” She looked around. Most of the guests were grown adults.

“We don’t really appeal to this crowd…I mean, most of our fans are older women…well, not older. More like…your age?” Nick tried to explain.

“Are you calling me old?” Alex laughed sarcastically. She knew it wasn’t his intention, but a little flirting never killed anyone.

“No!” Nick laughed and tried to recover. He realized she was just joking and shook his head. “See, we started out as a band when we were much younger. Back in 1993 they formed the Backstreet Boys. Since we were in our teens, most of our fans were teenage girls. They kinda grew with us…”

“That’s nice, in a way,” Alex nodded in agreement as they found their way to an open balcony leading outside. “I mean, you get to have the same fans through the entire growth of the band. Kind of like, they watch you grow, you watch them grow.”

“Very true,” Nick agreed with a smile. This girl was amazing him. She was absolutely gorgeous and she was smart, from what he could tell. And he knew she wasn’t a fan from her lack of knowledge on the Backstreet Boys. “Not too sound like a cocky asshole or anything, but I’m really surprised you’ve never heard of us.”

“I never said I hadn’t heard of you,” Alex corrected as she leaned against the beautiful stone railing separating her from the ground six floors below her. “I just said I wasn’t a fan…because I’m not.” She smirked at him. “Sorry.” Her voice dipped low to a whisper.

“It’s not a problem,” Nick scrunched up his nose and looked down at the liquor and soda in his cup. “To be honest, it’s kind of a relief. I mean, everywhere we go, girls know who we are and want to get with us because of that reason…we’re famous and have money…”

Alex turned so her back was now against the railing. “Who said I wanted to get with you, Mr. Carter?” She frowned with a smirk pulling at the corner of her lip. “I think you’re reading too much into this situation…” Nick was speechless. His mouth hung open as if there was something he wanted to say but the words weren’t coming. Alex busted into laughter and gently placed her hand on Nick’s shoulder. “Nick, relax. I’m kidding.”

“So, you do want to get with me?” He frowned, trying to understand what she was saying, but also trying to put the embarrassment back on her.

“Well, I…uh,” she bit her bottom lip, her heart pounding furiously in her chest. “I-I never said…”

Nick laughed and shook his head. Both had been humiliated in front of the other now. Before she could object, Nick leaned in closer to her and brought his mouth to her ear. Before speaking, he licked his lips. The warmth from his breath made little hairs stand up on the back of Alex’s neck. “You embarrass me, I embarrass you. We’re even.” And with that, he began to walk inside. He turned and put his hand out to offer to her. “You coming?”

Alex swallowed the lump in her throat and quickly downed the rest of her drink, nodding vigorously.