- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank you, again, for reviewing! As long as I have readers, I'll have a story to write :]
“First of all, I’d like to thank all of you for coming tonight,” Brian smiled from the center of the stage. Alex and Kerstin had joined Leighanne back at the table while the boys went backstage to prepare for the fifteen minute concert the guests had been promised. “This really means a lot to my wife and I, so thank you.”

“Have you ever heard any of their songs?” Leighanne whispered in Alex’s ear as Brian continued to thank people and the boys entered the stage.

“A few on the radio,” Alex shrugged. “But other than that? Not really.”

“Oh, well then you’re in for an exciting night,” she winked. Alex couldn’t really tell if Leighanne was being serious or sarcastic. She watched as the four boys made their way to their own microphones. Brian was the first to sing.

Close your eyes, make a wish
That this could last forever
If only you could stay with me now
So tell me what it is
That keeps us from each other now
Yeah, it’s coming to get me
You’re under my skin.


Alex had to admit to herself. She was very impressed. Brian sounded great on the radio, but even better in person. She was shocked at how breathless his voice made her.

No, I can’t let you go
You’re a part of me now
Caught by the taste of your kiss
And I don’t want to know
The reason why
I can’t stay forever like this
Now I’m climbing the walls
‘Cause I miss you.


Even though Alex wasn’t completely familiar with Nick or his voice, she could distinctly pick it out from the other boys’ voices. And God it made him even more sexy, in her opinion.

“Jesus Christ, these boys can really belt it out,” Kerstin whispered to both Leighanne and Alex. Leighanne smiled and nodded.

“They really can,” she agreed. Alex was in a trance that she couldn’t quite pull herself out of. There was something amazing about Nick that really pulled her in but she wasn’t able to put her finger on what it was. Maybe it was the way his blue eyes caught her brown eyes and wouldn’t let go. Or maybe it was his sexy voice that seemed to touch a nerve in her body. His perfect blonde hair wasn’t helping the situation.

As the song ended, Alex turned to Leighanne with a look of shock. “I knew they were in a band but my God, I had no idea they could really sing like that.” Leighanne laughed and patted her new friend on the back as the next song began to start up and the crowd stopped applauding.

After the short concert was over, the boys all returned to the table, accepting compliments along the way from guests that hadn’t realized how incredible their voices were. “You look like you need a new drink…” Nick approached Alex from the back, taking her by surprise.

She spun around with a smile on her face. “I think I’m better off with an empty glass. I don’t think you really want me to have to find another men’s restroom to empty my stomach in tonight.” She winked and placed her martini glass on the table.

Nick nodded and rocked back on his heels with his hands in his pockets. “So…what’d you think?” He questioned with his head cocked to the side, waiting for her approval. “I really would like to know what a non-fan thinks of the music.”

“Well…” Alex tried to sound disappointed to make him a little nervous. “I thought it was…interesting.” She smirked at his expression. He looked truly hurt that she hadn’t enjoyed herself. “I’m kidding!” She quickly corrected and let her manicured hand rest gently upon his biceps. “It was absolutely amazing. You really took my breath away. And honestly?” She leaned in close to whisper as if it was a big secret. “I think you may have just converted me to a fan…”

Nick’s face lit up like a little kid’s at Christmas. “Really?” He sounded thrilled. “Because the microphones really weren’t transferring the sound the way we wanted them to…” he trailed off, realizing she had no idea what he was talking about. “You should check out a real concert when we start touring again.”

“I might just have to,” Alex winked as Kerstin approached her. “Nick, have you met my roommate, Kerstin Andrews?”

“Briefly, I think,” Nick squinted trying to remember why this girl looked so familiar.

“Yeah, I was with Alex at the club,” Kerstin smiled politely. If only Nick knew why she was really smiling. She was so excited for Alex. It looked as if her plan was working out perfectly.

“Oh, that’s right!” Nick smiled. “Well, it’s nice to meet you.”

“You too,” Kerstin smiled. “Allie, I hate to be a party crasher but I have to get back to the apartment. I have to work early tomorrow and I have three missed calls from Parker,” she rolled her eyes. Parker was Kerstin’s boyfriend. She didn’t want Alex to know, but she had been having serious problems with him for quite some time.

“O-Oh, okay,” Alex shrugged and turned back to Nick. “I better go, too. We kinda have this buddy system and I don’t want anything bad to happen…” She glanced back at Kerstin.

“No! You stay, I’ll be fine. I’m going to call Parker and have him meet me here. We have a lot of things we need to talk about. He can walk me back home,” Kerstin assured her friend. “But what about you?” She glanced at Nick, hoping he would take the golden opportunity to offer to take her home.

“I’ll make sure she gets home safely,” Nick smiled and put his arm protectively on the small of Alex’s back. Alex’s eyebrows raised in the touch of his fingers on the satin material of her dress. He was falling for her. And not only was he falling, but he was falling hard.

“Oh, how sweet,” Kerstin shot a cheesy grin in Alex’s direction. Alex blushed a light pink color as her friend reached out to hug her. “You want me to stay with Parker tonight?” She whispered so Alex could hear.

“No!” Alex tried to whisper back but from Kerstin’s question shocked her. “Just…go.” She muttered and they separated. Kerstin laughed and shook her head.

“Well, nice meeting you Nick,” she smiled and shook his hand. “Make sure my best friend gets home in one piece.” She winked at Alex who just rolled her eyes.

Nick smiled and nodded in return. “She seems nice.” Nick smiled.

“She is,” Alex sighed. “She’s been my best friend for years. We’ve been through a lot together. You just have to get to know her and then she’s easier to understand.” Alex joked with a smile.

Nick smiled and wrapped his arms around Alex’s waist, pulling her in closer to him. With a seductive look in his ocean blue eyes, he whispered, “She’s not exactly the one I’m interested in getting to know…” Before Alex could protest, his lips covered her’s in a tender kiss.