- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
I'll be out of my house all day today and won't be home until very late tonight, so this will be all for today! :[ I'll have more out tomorrow for sure. Thank you for the reviews!! Keep 'em coming!!
“I love Syracuse,” Nick smiled and breathed in the scent of the summer air. “It’s so different than the big cities we stay in all the time.”

“Yeah, it’s a nice place,” Alex smiled. “I stay here for work, really. I mean, it’s gorgeous but the winters get to me. Too much snow and not enough sun.”

“Where do you work?” Nick frowned. He realized there was so much he didn’t know about this girl and definitely not enough time to begin to even understand.

“I’m a writer…freelance, really,” Alex tried to explain. “I stay near the Manhattan area just in case a publisher ever thinks my work is good enough…” she wanted so badly to open up to him and tell her all about her novel. But she knew there was no way she could.

“I’m sure it’s great,” Nick nudged her and smiled. She smiled back, completely fascinated with Alex. She seemed like such a bookworm to him, yet she was more socially inviting than any of the bookworms he had met in the past. “What do you write about?”

“Oh…everything?” She lied. “Really whatever crazy ideas pop into my head.” She shrugged. “Where do you live? I mean, I know you guys travel constantly, but where’s your home?”

“Florida,” Nick sighed and smiled. “These days I’ve been living back and forth between my place in Florida and my place in California.” He explained.

“I’ve never been,” Alex smiled a small smile. “I’ve heard it’s absolutely beautiful there…”

“It is,” Nick was so enthusiastic as he went into detail of his home in Florida. “It’s right on the water…I can take my boat and jet ski out whenever I want! It’s perfect!” Alex giggled at his excitement and shook her head.

“You’re so lucky. You get to travel the world and see all these places,” Alex blushed, feeling completely ridiculous for what she was about to say. “I’ve never even been to the beach before. I mean, I used to go to Lake Eerie every once and a while when I was a kid and my parents felt like driving into Ohio to visit family.” She shrugged. “But Lake Eerie does not even begin to compare to the ocean.”

Nick stared at her wide-eyed. “You’ve never been to the ocean?” He gasped. Alex laughed and shook her head no. “Are you kidding me? You have to promise me you’ll go. It’s the most amazing place…in the world.” Alex had no idea when she’d get the chance, but to make him happy, she promised. “I mean, I’ve been to Japan and Australia and…lots of places…” he glanced down, wondering if Alex was paying any attention. To his surprise, she looked fully interested in what he was saying. “But nothing compares to the beach. It’s my sanctuary.”

Alex’s big brown eyes fell on Nick’s blue eyes and she smiled. “See, I wish I had a place like that.” She sighed heavily as they approached a bench in the center of a grassy field where college students rested on beach towels and blankets.

“You don’t have a comfort zone?” Nick frowned. Alex thought about it for a second and shook her head ‘no’. “What about the library or work?”

“Gee, thanks for not stereotyping me,” Alex said sarcastically and rolled her eyes.

“Well…I mean…” Nick didn’t really know what to say as his cheeks flushed. “No offense, but you don’t really come across as the partier that doesn’t come home at night…”

“Probably because I’m not,” Alex admitted with a shrug of her shoulders. “And if we’re being honest, Nick, you don’t seem like the kind of guy that would fall for girls like me.” She stated matter-of-factly. Nick nodded and raised his eyebrows.

“Touché,” he folded his arms across his chest. “So, I’m not usually interested in your type. There’s something different about you, Alex. I can’t tell you what it is because I don’t know…”

“Are you attracted to me?” Alex blushed. She was soaking up this positive attention and couldn’t help but wonder what this blonde man saw in her. Nick chuckled and folded his hands in his lap.

“I guess you could say there’s an attraction there…” he shrugged. He felt awkward with her questioning him like this. He wasn’t the typical guy to belt out his feelings. He was a typical player in the game of Hard-To-Get. Unless he was only into the night for sex, he wouldn’t let a lady know his feelings. “At first, you scared the hell out of me.” He laughed.

“What?!” Alex nearly choked on air at the absurdity of his statement. “Why would I scare you? I’m one of those people that can’t even harm a fly.”

“I wasn’t scared that you were going to ‘harm’ me,” he quoted her with a roll of his eyes. “I was…a little confused. You were…I don’t know, I probably shouldn’t say this…” he went back on his words with a nervous laugh. “Just…forget I ever said anything.”

“Oh, yeah, that’s possible,” Alex muttered sarcastically. “Come on, Nick. You can tell me. I swear, I won’t be upset or anything. Let me guess? After our little run-in in the restroom you were pretty freaked thinking I was some guy dressed like a girl?” She assumed with a hint of glee in her voice.

“Not exactly…” Nick mumbled. “In the bathroom I actually thought you were pretty hot.” He said under his breath ever so slightly so Alex had to wonder if she really heard his words at all.

“You thought I was attractive?” She whispered. Damn her emotions. She couldn’t help the tears filling her eyes. No boy had ever thought of her as attractive. Attractive was one of those words people used for cheerleaders or socially enhanced girls…girls like Kerstin. No one ever noticed Kerstin’s “ugly roommate”.

Nick’s brow frowned with a smile tugging at the corners of his lips. “Well…yeah,” he shrugged. “You are attractive.” He watched her pretend she had something in her eye as she wiped away a few tears that had slipped out. “You okay?” He frowned. His confusion was getting the best of him again. Why was this girl so strange sometimes?

“Yeah, I think a bug got in my eye or something,” she laughed and shook away the feelings. “Well, then, what was the problem?” She brought Nick back on topic and drifted away from his compliment.

Nick’s attention deficit really played a positive role in Alex’s conversation with him as he began to think of how to word what he was about to say. “Don’t take this the wrong way,” he started. She shook her head, promising she wouldn’t. “I was just a little taken back by your…awkwardness?” He explained.

“Awkwardness?” Alex frowned, unsure of what he meant.

“You weren’t really…into me, if you know what I mean,” Nick sighed. “When we were dancing, your eyes kept darting between me and other people in the club. And I mean if it wasn’t for Macy…” he stopped. He cursed to himself for mentioning the name. God damn his lack of common sense. Why couldn’t he have just stopped after he mentioned the club scene?

“Wait…who’s Macy?” Alex frowned as she scooted away from Nick so she could get a good look in his eyes. Her eyes moved back and forth between his two eyes.

Nick blinked a few times and licked his lips. “N-No one important,” he muttered with a shrug. Why did he feel like it was such a big deal? It wasn’t like he and Alex were together. He rolled his eyes and decided to take a chance. “She’s my ex-girlfriend. I wanted to try and make her jealous…and I ran into you in the bathroom…and it seemed like a good idea.”

Alex nodded. She didn’t really know what to say. She didn’t want to possessive over Nick, because there really wasn’t much of a relationship there, anyway. Besides, she was using him just as much (if not more) and she didn’t warrant the right to yell at him. “I don’t know why you would think I’d be upset,” she laughed and patted his knee. “It’s not like we’re more than friends anyway. I mean, if that. I haven’t really known you that long.” And with that, she stood up and started walking on the sidewalk. Maybe it was time she start making up this story instead of living it out. It wasn’t like Mr. Reynolds would have any idea. Nick wasn’t worth the pain she was beginning to feel. Nick wasn’t supposed to make her feel pain.