- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
I apologize for the wait!! I'm actually moving out tomorrow and going off to college. I'm taking a few summer classes since it's my freshman year to get adjusted. Anyway! That's why there's been a serious lack of updates lately. And I really can't promise when the next one will be out. Probably not this weekend because I'll be moving in. Maybe Monday? Monday's my first day of classes, so we'll see!! More reviews, please :]!!
Alex’s words kept replaying in Nick’s head. Had he screwed up? Had he read too much into this? He didn’t really comprehend what was happening, but he followed Alex with his hands shoveled deep into his jean pockets. “So…” he mumbled to try and spark conversation since she had allowed it to die.

“Got a girlfriend?” Alex asked, completely determined to keep Nick Carter an acquaintance rather than a friend.

Nick stopped in his tracks and shook his head. He reached out and touched her arm gently. “No, I don’t.” He mumbled. He looked deep into her eyes, completely confused by her sudden change of attitude. “Look, if I offended you or something…”

She didn’t give him a chance to finish. “Offended me? Why would you say that? Nick, we’re just friends. Why in the world would I be offended by a comment like that?” Half of her tone was sarcastic. She really was offended. She knew she wasn’t pretty enough to be a trophy girl to just hang on someone’s arm. She had hoped she was. But she knew she wasn’t.

“Listen, Alex,” Nick stopped her again by clutching her arm before she could walk away. “I really do like you. I don’t know why. But I swear I do. I’m sorry at first it was just to make an ex jealous…” he mumbled. Why was he expressing his feelings like this? He had only known the girl for about three days or so. Why was he so worried about losing whatever it was he had. “But feelings change…and they really changed with you. There’s something about you…something real and something genuine. And I like having that in my life.”

“Nick, I’ve only know you for a few days,” Alex frowned and shook him off of her politely. “How can feelings be changing when you don’t even know me?”

“I want to know you,” he shrugged, hoping that was good enough. “I really do. Like I said, there’s something different about you.” He frowned.

“Like what?” Alex muttered with a frown. He kept repeating himself – so there was something different about her? What he didn’t know was that there was a lot different about her. She wasn’t who he thought she was. Not at all.

“I don’t really know how to explain it…” he mumbled. His brow creased and he looked down at the pavement, hoping to find his answers there. “It’s like the way you look at me…I’m not just an item or object to you. I’m a person. You aren’t interested in the media taking pictures of you like most of my girlfriends. You aren’t a trophy.” He tried to explain.

Alex just stared at him, completely surprised at his opinion of her. He was right. She wasn’t a trophy. What surprised her most was that he wasn’t interested in having a trophy girlfriend. He was just interested in her. “I-I don’t understand.” She frowned.

“What I’m trying to say,” he whispered and clasped her hands in his. “Is that I’m really interested in you, Alex. It’s weird for me…because I’m not usually a relationship kind of person.” He blushed. She could tell he was embarrassed to admit that.

“I-I…” she didn’t know what to say. Part of her wanted to admit that she had feelings for him too. She knew that she really liked him. That had to be obvious. But she also knew she had to follow through with this novel. Not only was Mr. Reynolds counting on her, but she was counting on herself. She needed this breakthrough.

“You don’t have to lie to me, Alex,” Nick sighed and kissed her hands, then let them fall beside her. “If you don’t have the feelings I don’t want you to pretend. That’s something I would do.” He shoved his hands back into his pockets and kept walking.

Alex stared at his back blankly. She couldn’t help the feeling of tears in her eyes. He was everything she could have wanted in a boyfriend plus more. He was a celebrity for Christ’s sake. She had never been involved with anyone let alone a celebrity.

“Nick,” she grabbed his bicep quickly to pull him back around to face her. She could see the touch of hope in his eyes. He wanted her to say it. Hell, she wanted to say it. “I really like you, too. And I swear I’m not just saying that.” It was the truth. She was really falling for this guy. “But I don’t know you. I don’t do well trusting people I don’t know and to be involved with someone you have to trust them. I’d love to get to know you. I just don’t want you to feel like you belong to me…”

Nick smiled and kissed her cheek gently. “Are you actually telling me you wanna go casual?” He laughed. Alex frowned, not completely following. “Sorry, it’s just usually girls are incredibly clingy and get all weird about seeing other people. And you just suggested it.”

Alex blushed deeply. She wasn’t familiar with all the rules and codes of being a girl in a relationship. “Sorry…” she mumbled. “I’m not really used to this whole…relationship thing…”

“Well, are we in a relationship?” Nick frowned. Alex didn’t really seem to know what she wanted.

“Not yet…” she looked up at him and decided it was her turn to take the reigns. “But I’d like to be someday.”