- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
So this one's a little shorter than the others by a few 100 words. But the next one will be longer. I just cut it short because it worked well in the story. Keep the reviews coming!!
“So, what exactly is this novel about?” Nick frowned as Alex situated herself back in the SUV after running inside to gather her laptop, work clothes and lots of make-up.

A smile graced her lips as she realized how Nick would be surprised to know it was about him. “Oh, typical relationship. Girl meets boy, falls for him…” she trailed off and ended with a shrug. “Very…typical.” She repeated.

“That’s cool. Are you getting it published?” He questioned. Alex was beginning to get a little worried – even though she knew Nick could never possibly imagine that the novel was written about him. He was asking a lot of questions. She figured it was just because he was for one, curious, and secondly, it was almost 5:30 in the morning. He was just trying to stay awake.

“Hopefully,” Alex smiled brightly. “I mean, so far the publisher loves the idea. That’s why I have a meeting today.” She explained. “I just hope he still loves it…” she bit her bottom lip. She wanted to…change the idea, so to speak.

“What do you mean, still? I mean, if he loved it to begin with, he’ll love it no matter what,” Nick smiled. Alex wished it was that easy.

“I kinda changed the story line a little. Made it more…realistic. It isn’t as hard to believe anymore and I like that factor. Originally, it was about a false love,” she said, trying to explain better. “The woman fell in love with a man for a job. She wanted to prove a point.” She glanced over and saw Nick was intently listening. She smiled. Alex loved the fact that he really was interested. “But, during the entire experience, she fell in love.”

She got really quiet and simply shrugged. Love? Was it love or was it something else? “That sounds really cool…and really romantic,” Nick smirked. “Don’t tell the boys I said that…” he smiled again and picked up Alex’s hand to play with her fingers as he cruised the highway. “What makes you different, Alex?” Nick questioned as he glanced out the window at the open black sky.

“What do you mean?” Alex’s brow creased. Now it was her turn to watch him intently. She watched as his eyes went back and forth between her and the road.

“I don’t know…” he whispered. “There’s something different about you. I feel like I’ve known you forever, but I know it’s only been a few days. And that just seems…weird,” he explained. “It’s…different.”

Alex laughed and shook her head. “You aren’t very good at explaining your feelings, Nick.” She smiled at him. He smirked and a crease formed over his brow.

“Explain your feelings, Alex. You’re a writer. That must come easy to you,” Nick was hoping he hadn’t offended her; he was just in awe of Alex’s ability to create characters and romantic scenes between people. He wondered how she felt in her current situation.

“I’m good at explaining fake relationships,” she smiled at the irony. Nick and she were supposed to be in a fake relationship. Were they? Or was it something real? She sighed and decided to continue. “I really like you, Nick. You’re different, too. I mean, it’s not like I haven’t had many relationships to begin with…” she trailed off and watched a few raindrops begin to fall on the windshield.

“You? A beautiful girl like you?” Nick sounded shocked and slightly uneasy. Alex frowned and looked at him.

“Is that a problem?” She tried to smile, but somehow she felt uncomfortable and vulnerable like the old Alex. Nick hadn’t meant to say anything that would bring her down, but his comment threw her back and brought her security walls back up and around her.

“No!” Nick shook his head and cocked an eyebrow. “I’m just…surprised.” He shrugged. “That’s all.” He smiled over at her but noticed her expression had drastically changed. “I mean, Alex…you’re beautiful, you’re young, and you have a job. I just thought…”

“I’m not experienced,” she shrugged briskly. She sighed and closed her eyes for a second, realizing she had been short with him. “I’m sorry, Nick. It’s just…I feel kinda vulnerable when people compliment me like that. And I get that you’re experienced and you’re rich and girls typically go after you for the status. But I’m not like that. I’m different. And that’s what scares me.” She tried to put into words.

“Why does it scare you?” Nick frowned curiously.

“Because. You’re this amazingly talented singer who could have any girl in the world and you spend time with me. I’m not like you, Nick. You’re perfect in the media world. I’m perfect in my house, cooped up where no one interacts with me,” Alex was being more open with him than she ever had. It shocked her more than it did Nick.

“That doesn’t seem like you,” Nick smirked and gently placed his hand over hers comfortingly. “And besides, even if that is you, I like you. And I’d love to get to know you better.” He brought her hand to his lips softly. “I’m not perfect. The media loves to point me out and make fun of me. I might be perfect to them, but only because I’m a screw up.” He explained and shook his head.

Alex smiled and rested her head on the headrest of the seat. “Thanks.” She whispered softly.

“For what?” Nick smirked. His eyes, his smile. They consumed her heart.

“For making me feel beautiful.”