- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks for the reviews so far hehe. While I have this new found free time, I'm going to try and update. When I start my summer class and such, I'll work updates in when I can. Enjoy!
“Glitz and Glamour”

Chapter Two: More Than An Image

“God dammit John I am fucking sick of lying about not dating anyone!” I slammed my fist down on the table in the meeting room. We were at Jive’s New York office. My temper was going fucking nuts but damn this was getting old. I knew Calypso was far from happy about this shit. Not that she wasn’t for it in the beginning. She agreed before I could. I think she did it for me. So I wouldn’t blow up then like I am now. At first, we kept it low key before we even let John and Lois know. When we did, heh they weren’t pleased. The damn assholes…

“Nick you know it’s not smart for the public to know you’re dating, it’s bad for your image. As it is only two of you are available now anyway.”

“You didn’t fucking mind when the world knew I was dating Tracy!”

John rubbed his dark eyes. I swear the man had no fucking soul. “That was different, Tracy was different.”

I felt Cally stiffen beside me, we both knew what he was getting at and it was a low fucking blow. “Yeah Trace was psychotic.” I rubbed Cally’s arm, trying hard not to commit a murder. Murder sends me to jail, which means I can’t see her. See? I could rationalize when I wanted to. My other hand was interlocking with hers. She squeezed it, trying to keep us both calm.

“Tracy was a different image, a better image.”

“Better fucking image for who!?” My hand slammed down on the wall behind me. “You want us to keep this hidden cause you think it’ll make the band look bad?! FUCK THAT!”

“No offense Cally-”

“Um, it’s Calypso.” Burn. She doesn’t have anyone she likes call her that.

“Calypso then, but it is better not to have this out in the open. Tracy was good for the image, and again no offense taken, but you’re not as good for it.”

I glared; him talking down to my fucking girl is the last ass straw. Ass straw heh. That’s what I’ll make him become if he don’t watch it. I didn’t care if he was our manager; we have another one somewhere, the spineless one who listens to John more. “Look-”

“Nick…its okay.”

At that I stared at her surprised. She’s okay with this bullshit?! What the fuck did I miss? Were there some drugs she took? If there were, how come I didn’t get any? Must be good shit too. She saw my look and pulled me away from the manager from hell where he couldn’t hear us.

“How is this okay? Fuck I ain’t gonna let him talk to you like that!”

“Forget it. Its okay, this whole low key thing, it’ll help me adjust.”

I tugged her scrunchie out of her hair. If I had my way I’d sneak into her house and burn them all. They hold back the glorious hair! They are evil! Scrunchie. I wonder, who had come up with that name anyway? Pretty damn random. Maybe the inventor had ADHD too? “You sure? I’ll have to say in interviews I’m single and shit, you aight with that?”

“Yeah, getting eased into this whole your fame thing would be easier than tossed into it. That and I really don’t want to have to find you a lawyer after you kill your manager. Too messy.”

I kissed the top of her forehead gently. “Aight, but if you’re ever fed up with this shit, let me know.”


She hasn’t said it yet, but I know it. It’s got her bugging. Hell it’s got me fed up. I’m sick of lying my ass off knowing that she’s likely watching me say this. I also have places I want to show her, make her all amazed. We’ve had to go out to places we know no one would think of. Can’t exactly take her to the more fancy places. Which aren’t my style but fuck sometimes like any man, I wanna impress my girl. Hiding ain’t fun, oh hell it was at first but now it’s on our last damn nerve. And we have those MTV Video Music Awards. I am NOT even thinking of getting set up with some model on my arm or going alone. I want her with me.

So fuck whatever they’re thinking. I have to admit, and I risk sounding like some gay sap but these past few months have been fucking awesome. I ain’t used to a girl actually caring. Usually they want something more than me just being there as a boyfriend. Cally doesn’t. I love surprising her cause the look of shock and sweetness is satisfying. Knowing that I’m hurting her at the same time when I do my damn job, well, that isn’t a fun blow to the gut. I know how this fame game works, but I’m willing to work my ass off protecting this girl. People are going to freaking find out sooner or later anyway. I don’t want her getting the idea that I’m ashamed cause that ain’t it. Far as hell from it.

She’s even going to be staying with me. Talked to her earlier and she’s moving the last of her things in. At first she was concerned it was too soon. But hell, I saw what living with her parents was doing to her. So I got a new place with two bedrooms and gave her this idea, she knows it ain’t so I can get into her pants. Aight I ain’t gonna lie, I wouldn’t mind it. Hell I’ve been dying for it. Still, I ain’t going to force her into it. Which I overheard Cally on the phone with her mom when this idea first came up; her mom thinks that’s why. That ain’t it.

They don’t hate me, or if they do, they hide it well. They just hate that she’s taking her own path now. One that ain’t going to have her as some stuffy and snobby psychiatrist like they want from her. Her dad’s pretty cool with me. It’s her mom I stay away from. I know I’m not the guy they wanted their daughter to be with. I just can’t get why even now, after they see she’s tired of it, they fight for what they want for her and not for what she herself wants. Heh, so I gave her this idea after she finally got it into their heads that she’s not going back to college for that. She’s been talking to me about trying this art school to look into careers in that area. I ain’t letting her pay for it, but she doesn’t know that yet. Cally’s got that whole pride thing about making sure she doesn’t take too much from me. That’s a first too and makes me wanna buy that much more for her. I need to focus. Focus Nick, focus.

“Nick calm down.”

“Well fuck, I want to be able to date in public.” Which is what’s equal for announcing. You don’t actually say it, heh no celebrity is that damn important. You just go on dates like normal people and ignore the paparazzi stalkers as you continue your date as normal. The world knows you ain’t single no more from then on. After that they follow you like rabid dogs looking for their next scrap of meat heh. You end up in those stupid tabloids and those gossip shows. Hiding can get old after awhile.

“Your girlfriend is bad for your image and you know it.”

“Like I give a fuck about my image! Damn I ain’t half of what my image is anyway.” I need to talk to the fellas about a new damn label. I’m getting so fed up with this shit. Not to mention I’m going to have to tour with his ass after the VMAs. Our tour starts in September, which sucks cause that’s when Cally’s birthday is but I’m gonna figure something out. Focus on the prick Nick, or he’ll think he won.

“I mean this in the nicest way Nick-”

I stared at him coldly; people don’t think I’m some train wreck bad ass for nothing. “Mean what?”

“That the world is going to see you’re lowering your standards-”

“What cause she ain’t some fake ass Barbie wanna be bitch!? Hell I fucking upgraded!”

“So hiding her would be best.” That asshole was too damn calm. He made any Puerto Rican man look bad acting like this. Poor Howie.

“She’s my date for the VMAs John, and I’m taking her where I want.”

“I was thinking we could have you escort one of the up and coming models for that event and-”

This guy just did not fucking get it did he?! I wonder if Central Park would be a good place to hide the body. People would think it was a mugging. Hell if R. Kelly can get away with what he has, I sure as hell can kill my prick manager. Ehhh, too much effort. So I’m here arguing with him while the rest of the fellas went home. This meeting was for me only. I told Cally otherwise so she ain’t worried about all this.

“No. I ain’t gonna tell my girlfriend she can’t go and then be seen with another woman dawg. Hell nah.”

“I’m sure she’d understand if you explained it to her. She seemed reasonable the last time I met her.”

It’s like talking to a damn wall. Not that I’d know what that’s like. I don’t talk to walls. Maybe myself. Not out loud. Just, mentally. Like right now when I should have taken my meds and instead I’m here trying to reason with super-prick. It can be the remix to that “Super freak” song. He’s a super prick, super prick, who has no dicky… der ner ner ner…

And my fans say I shouldn’t write so much. (They think my songs ain’t as good as some of the other fellas’ songs. I agree but hell I’m not as bad as they say I am either.)

“You mean when you fucking all but said she’s bad for my image cause she doesn’t look like Tracy.”

“I never said that.”

“No you just hinted at it enough. Screw that. Fuck the image, I’m not hiding it, and if asked I’ll be honest and don’t be trying any of that PR crap to cover up.”

I headed out of the office and glanced at my cell phone to see the time. Damn, I needed to get my shit and get going. I hate flying. It’s a daily part of this gig I have too. I hate it, makes me so damn nervous. If I don’t make this flight it means avoiding a mob while trying to get another flight. Airports suck. I went out, got in my rented car and sped off for the airport. My shit was already in the trunk, I know how meetings go. I packed it up before going on TRL. I hated TRL; the hosts are faker than the average ones. Fans are cool though. They just scream, but that’s normal.

I heard my phone ring as I parked at the airport and started getting my luggage. I dragged it behind me. It was one of those wheelie ones with the handle. I dug for my sidekick as I made my way through. My bodyguard? Heh I told him to go ahead and go with the other guys, that I’d be fine. Maybe I shouldn’t have, this place is packed. Great, security checks, aren’t those fun? Once past those, guess what, flight is delayed. Of course it is. Can’t something just go right so I can get my ass home?! For once home actually feels like home. First time since I was a kid, with the exception of feeling at home in a tour bus. I already told ya all about that though. My sidekick kept going off and I stopped spacing enough as I sat down and waited for the plane. I answered the phone to hear Kevin on the other end of the line.

“How’d the meeting go?”

“Fucked up. Let me guess, John called you after to tell you to try and calm me down right?”

“He tried.” I can hear him chuckle on the other end of the line. We had a bad habit of using cell phones on planes even though you’re not supposed to.

“What’d you tell him?”

“That I am on a plane and I shouldn’t be using the phone.”

I laughed; Kevin is anything but the rule breaker of the band. Usually John gets him to help “control” me. Kevin does, but not to the prick level John has. Heh, not shocked he took my side in this. He liked Cally, a lot actually. Shocking since he always hates my choice in women.

“Really, heh.”

“I heard you let him have it at the meeting you set up with him.”

“Hell yeah I did. He’s telling me how by dating her I’m lowering my standards cause unlike the rest of fucking Hollywood women she’s not a damn twig.”

“He had the balls to say that?”

“Yeah.”

“Then good job bro, keep her. She seems to have this good effect on you.”

“Well since Bri was the one who kept trying to make sure it happened, thank him.” Yeah I know now Brian had a lot to do with it. I thanked him -after a good wrestling match about him meddling in my life- since it worked out for the best. Yes! Finally the plane is here and I can sit in that damn torture device for hours and then finally get home.

“I gotta get going man, plane’s finally here.”

“Later bro.”

“Bye.”

I hung up and headed to the plane. Of course as I got on, I stepped on with my right foot. Always. The one time I didn’t was the freaking shakiest dumb plane I’ve ever been on. Turbulence sucks ass. And it was the only damn time I forgot to step on with my right foot. So, Nick’s guide to surviving a flight on the evil planes: step on with your right foot, and always have at least two airsick bags.

I hate planes. Really do.

**********

I am hella tired as I made my way into the apartment. I just had to fucking get the one on the third floor. Screw the first one, cause otherwise it won’t have some great view for Cally to paint. Noooo, the third one doesn’t have too many damn stairs after a long ass flight, an annoying cab driver, and a couple bags of luggage that feel way heavier now. I dropped my stuff by the door where I saw all of Cally’s boxes. That made me laugh, she’s like me when it comes to that shit. My room is still full of boxes, only important shit like the new TV and sound system are unpacked. I headed into the living room where I saw the TV on and Cally fast asleep on the couch. She must’ve been waiting for me. She looked cute. It’ll be tight sharing this place with her, I can tell already.

So I did what any good boyfriend would do in this situation.

I lunged, tickling her insanely. I was greeted to her cute laugh and smile as she woke up jerking away in a fit of giggles. “Ahh Nick! You brat!”

I grinned. “Hey Cally Baby, what no welcome home?” I crawled over her on the couch, hovering inches above where she was still laying down. Damn this is way too tempting. Fuck, I was going to need to work on controlling my urges. I’ve already set a new record for going three months without some.

She smirked, staring up from where I now had her pinned. “Welcome home, brat.”

I leaned down, kissing her neck softly. Damn I can so get used to this kind of thing every night. “You love it.”

“Maybe. Hey did you know you practiced voodoo?”

I blinked, that was random as all hell. “Really now.”

“Uh huh, according to LiveDaily.”

I snickered, nibbling along her neck. I hate holding back. Yes this is holding back. “Ahh yes, I have a voodoo doll of you. That’s how you ended up here, I made it say yes Nick you are a sexual god! Of course I’ll be with you!”

“Well sexual god, I need to go to the bathroom.”

Both of us laughed as I let her up so she could go. I watched her walk away, that booty of hers having this little shimmy I already know by heart. I don’t know even now what it is about her that’s so freaking …well damn what the hell it is that takes me in. Whatever it is, she has a ton of it. A few moments later she came out, heading into the kitchen for her mountain dew fix. Speaking of which, I was fucking dying for some Dr. Pepper. I got up, following her in.

“Didn’t you miss me?”

“Aww poor Squishy, course I did.” She handed me the bottle of my own soda fix without a word from me. Too much time together can be a good thing. “You know AJ’s new girlfriend, gah what’s her name…”

“Kaci.”

“Yeah her, the underage one… apparently she wants to meet me, so her and I are supposed to hang.”

I looked over. Poor Cally, that Kaci girl was annoying, and always trying to get in as our opening act for the coming tour. She was using AJ and we all knew it. Fuck I know the signs best, but man he’s gotta see it for himself. “Just you two?”

“Heck no, Lordie I’d never say yes to that. Brian saved me by suggesting to AJ that Leighanne needed some girl time and that she’d like to come along. AJ told him first it’d be a good idea for me and Kaci to hang out because we’re the closest in age.”

I felt bad for my girl. Cally was turning nineteen sure, but hell we only had a five year difference, in Hollywood that’s tiny. Kaci I think Jay said she turns seventeen in two weeks. Trust me, this girl reminded me of some of the not so mature fans we had. “Thanks for doing it.”

“Trying to be nice. I also invited Iz for the ride.”

At that I laughed hard. “You did that so if Kaci crossed a line Isabel would tell her off.”

She gave me the angelic smile that was only natural on her, and partly why I fell for her to begin with. “Me? Never. After what you’ve told me…I’m not thrilled though. Leighanne is awesome though, girl talks with her are great. But now…” She let out a yawn. “I’m off to bed and unpacking tomorrow, or the next day.” She kissed me again; as I let my hands wander. As soon as they slid up to her bra, she pulled away. Damn. Old habits.

“Night Nick.”

“Night Cally.”