- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
another ficlet in Kevin's POV. Set towards the ending of Black & Blue.

Break My Fall

Mayday, Mayday.

He was reading the morning’s paper when Howie came to him. Well, if staring at the same article and not understanding a word of what it said, never mind if they were in English, counted as ‘reading’, that was what he was doing when Howie came to him.

Howie, with his shoulders hunched and arms buried deep in the pockets of his jeans and wearing that worry on his face, looking very wound up. He sat next to him and let out this soft sigh that said everything.

Yet he said not a word and waited for the man to say what was on his mind.

“This has got to stop, Kevin.”

And when Howie finally did, he wished he hadn’t.

Requesting permission to land

“We can’t let him go on like this for long, it’s breaking him!”

Kevin heard everything that Howie was saying, but he wasn’t sure if he understands what Howie wants from him.

“What do you suppose we do?”

And Howie looked back at him, expectantly, as if he should have known the answer to that some two sentence ago. But whatever it was that Howie thought he should know, was lost on Kevin.

“You can’t ask me that,” Howie said instead.

“Why not?”

“Kev, if I had known the answer to that,” Howie said slowly, as if explaining something simple to a five year old. “I wouldn’t be having this conversation in the first place.”

I cannot control the plane

“Maybe if you stop getting yourself drunk all night, we might actually be on schedule on at least one thing today.” Brian bluntly pointed out.

“Don’t talk to him like he’s a fuckin’ teenager Bri.” Nick jumped in. Bed head and eyes hidden behind a pair of shades. Kevin was surprised Nick was actually listening. He had placed a bet on himself that the youngest one was napping the entire meeting away.

“I’m not talking to him like his a teenager.” Brian turned towards Nick. “And you should stop acting like one too.”

“I’m still in this room so stop fucking talking about me like I’m invisible.” AJ groaned.

“Yeah, maybe we should all just stop acting like us and be more like you.” Nick spat. “Give me a Bible Bri, show me the way of the Lord.”

“Nick, that’s enough.” Howie interjected.

“No, Howie, don’t.” Brian cut in. “You’re always butting in when we’re in a middle of an argument, you can’t keep protecting those two. They need to see what they’re doing!”

“And what is it that you’re doing that is so damn righteous huh Rok?” AJ said but his attention was already on Nick. He made a swift grab for the shades Nick was wearing, earning a yelp from the unsuspecting blonde.

“Dude what the fuck?”

“Stop stealing my shades man.”

Nick pulled the bill of his cap further, enough so no one could see what was going on behind those eyes. Now Kevin suspected AJ was about to doze this meeting off.

“I’m at least responsible towards this group. That’s more than both of you can say for yourselves.”

“Hey, if we’re not responsible, we won’t even be here today.” Nick replied.

“And I’m not always butting in.” Howie added. “But someone’s got to do something when everyone’s just yelling their mouth off and no one’s listening!”

Kevin thought he was listening. But really, by the time they entered his ears, it’s all white noises that he heard.

We are in danger of crashing

“Ok that’s it. I’ve had enough.”

And Backstreet Boys were in hiatus. Not even the mighty Kevin could do anything to stop this plane from crashing. Perhaps the remains would be salvageable. Perhaps not. Only time would tell.

Mayday, mayday

Requesting permission to land

I cannot control the plane

We are in danger of crashing

~ Break My Fall By Breaking Benjamin