- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Nick's lost and it's up to Kevin to find him.


I can't even remember when I wrote this. Months and months ago, and it got lost somewhere in my computer, lol. Nick is 17 in this fic.

In Search of Baby Bear

I found him.

Of course it had to be me who found him. It could have been Howie, or Brian, or AJ, but it had to be me in the end. It was as if I had a Nicky radar on me or something. I always find him. Well, sometimes, it was him who found me. He could have gone to Brian, the obvious choice for everything when it came to Nick, but the few times when he had come to me, I was a thousand shades of surprise.

He was drunk. I could smell alcohol on him and I was still standing at the foot of the staircase. Perhaps I had been sniffing the alcohol and followed the trail that led me here.

The thirteenth floor. Talk about rotten luck.

He was leaning against the railing, his arms holding on to the metal bar as if his life depended on it. His knees were drawn up and his face hidden in between them, his hair a bunch of messy blonde.

If I were a serial killer, he wouldn’t stand a chance to escape me.

“A bed would be more comfortable don’t you agree?”

His head snapped up in an instant and I hate to think that he might have a whiplash from it. The frown immediately turned into a grin when he realised it was just me.

“Hi Kevin.”

Yup, he was drunk all right. No one could ever grin that wide and be sober. Well, maybe Brian, he does have an extraordinarily wide grin for a gnome.

“Hi Nick,” I said, and decided on the very last second to add in a wave. He could be seeing two of me right now. The waving could help him figure out which one of us was the real me. I don’t know how waving would help, I just figured it might. “What are you doing up there alone?”

He went back to grabbing the railing and I was nowhere closer to him than I was a few minutes ago. I figured having this distance would lessen my chances of being decorated with his vomit should he need one at any given moment.

“The girls are after me Kevin,” Nick said and for once, he sounded scared. “And that motherfucker left me on my own!”

I wasn’t sure how all this tied in with him ending up on a fire escape staircase.

“So you decided to sleep on a staircase?”

“I’m hiding!”

“From the girls?”

“Yes the girrrlss…” He slurred while rolling his eyes at me. I’m surprised he could still do that in his state.

“Because they’re after you?”

“They’re everywhere!” He exclaimed, arms waving wildly. If drunken Nick is always this amusing, heck, I’ll make him drink myself. Okay, so not really, but the idea was tempting for all of five seconds.

“But you like girls Nick, you’ve told me a thousand times-”

“They steal my necklace! See?”

I saw it. How could I not see it? He pulled his shirt by the neck, revealing a couple of scratches in replace for the now missing necklace.

“They’re violent!” Nick yelled and then shuddered at whatever image he was seeing on the ceiling. I nodded to show my agreement.

“That looks nasty.”

“Feels nasty too...was scratching it just now Kev, they itch like mosquito bites and then they just hurts.”

I smiled, because he looked so small and reminded me of the twelve year old he used to be. “That’s good, you don’t want to scratch an open wound.”

“I know, you told me,” Nick said, wagging his finger at me.

“So I did.”

“Yes you did.”

I moved a step closer, just because he was beginning to slur quite badly for me to understand him. “Dan said he didn’t know where you’ve gone.”

“Is he here? Is that sonofabitch here?” Nick was pissed, and he almost let go of the railing and fell flat on his face.

“He was asleep in your room. I went in to check on you and he told me you’re supposed to be back since he left you at the lobby.”

He snorted at this and shook his head, which I guess was a bad thing because he groaned half way and rested his head against the railing. “He fucking left me when the girls started chasing! Said he was gonna call for help but he never came back!”

“So you ran and hide here?”

“I’m not hiding.”

“You said you were hiding just now.”

“When did I say that?”

Just now.”

“I didn’t say that.”

“Okay fine, if this isn’t hiding, what do you call it then?”

Nick shrugged and his neck turned red and I knew this was a sign that he was either nervous or embarrass.

“I forgot what floor we’re at.”

I figured it wasn’t the time to laugh my ass at this kid so I didn’t.

“You could have called me,” I pointed out. “You still have your cell phone don’t you?”

“Kevin, I’m drunk!”

It didn’t take much to get a confession out of Nick. I was sure he was going to regret this in the morning.

“You’re right.”

“I’m not supposed to get drunk.”

“You’re seventeen, Nick. You’re legal to drink in the UK.”

“But I’m not supposed to get drunk.”

“That’s correct,” I nodded. “What did I tell you about drinking?”

“I told them what you told me what I should tell them if they ask me to,” Nick defended himself. “You should know that it didn’t work.”

“Did you say no?”

“Yup.”

“But you drink anyway.”

“They said it won’t make me drunk.”

“They’ll always say that Nick.”

He shrugged and went back to hugging the railing.

“Hey, here’s a crazy idea, how about we get you back to your comfortable bed now?”

He frowned as if I had suggested killing a kitten.

“We can’t leave Mr. Patrick alone Kevin, that’s just insane.”

So here’s the debate. Should I even bother asking who Mr. Patrick is?

“Who’s Mr. Patrick?” And against my better judgement, I had to ask.

Nick had this ‘duh’ look on his face, it was quite ridiculous really. I wonder how much longer it had to take until someone found us here.

“Who do you think I’ve been hugging all this time Kevin? A piece of rock?”

I wanted to say metal, but I didn’t think it was what he was expecting to hear from me. I wish I had a video camera. Or Mentos…it’s getting really stinky in here.

“Well, I think you’re choking Mr. Patrick there.”

He let go of the railing and looked at it apologetically before turning back at me. “Really?”

Oh boy. “Yup. It’s not nice to choke…things…Nick.”

“I won’t hug too tightly then,” Nick said and then proceeded to put his arms around the railing again. “See? Not too tight, he won’t die tonight.”

“Don’t you want to go back to your room and sleep?” Please say yes.

“I can’t leave Mr. Patrick alone.” And then he did one of the yuckiest things ever. He found a gum, stuck at the bottom of the railing and started picking on it.

“You…you don’t want to do that Nick,” I said, hoping to distract him. I have to remember to get him to take a shower and wash his hands when we get back. He’s not going to like the shower, at all.

“I like gums.” He said and started stretching the yellowish gum in between his fingers.

“Not this one, you don’t.”

“Why not?”

“Because it tastes like fish,” I said, remembering the fish flavoured gum he once tricked Howie into chewing. “Mr. Patrick put it there to trick you.”

Right. Pit the kid against his own imaginary metallic friend. You go Kev.

It seemed to work though. Nick flung the piece of gum and it landed on the wall behind him and then pushed himself away from the railing, looking at it in disgust. Of course he had to lose his balance while at it and tripped on his own legs as he was about to stand up.

I made my move, just quick enough to break his fall as he rolled down three steps. He wouldn’t be a happy camper in the morning.

There we were, in the middle of the stairs, him on his back with me cradling his upper body, struggling to keep our balance in check, when he started to giggle.

“What’s so funny?” I figured why not just ask what the deal was, even though I knew I wasn’t to expect a real answer from a drunken seventeen year old.

“Hi again, Kevin.”

“Hello Nick.”

“I just rolled down the stairs.”

“And I’m trying to stop you from breaking any bones in your body.”

“Thanks Kevin, rolling down is not fun at all.”

“I thought so too,” I smiled. “Besides, I don’t think your dad’s gonna be too happy if he sees any bruises on you.”

“Oh we don’t have to worry about that,” he said dismissively. “Help me up?”

I nodded and pulled him by the hand and didn’t let go until I was sure he could stand on his own.

“I’m serious Nick, your dad was barking at Dan the last time I saw him. He wasn’t happy that he left you on your own.”

This, for some reason, woke him up. “He has no rights to do that to him, he’s my friend!”

And this is where I get utterly confused. “You were eager to beat his ass just a minute ago, why are you defending him now? And I’m sorry but he really shouldn’t have left you there on you own. Your dad’s just worried okay? We all are. Everyone’s out there looking for you.”

“My dad has a weird way of showing that he cares,” Nick argued. “And now he’s going to blame Dan for everything as if Dan’s his son or something.”

“What are you talking about?”

He waved his hand lazily and took a deep breath before exhaling calmly. “Forget it. Let’s just get out of here so they can stop looking for me.”

I decided not to question him further. I was planning to be the good guy here. That’s the plus side when one of his parents followed us out, there was no need for Kevin Richardson to play dad. I didn’t have to nag at him or be the responsible one. I could be one of the guys, out to a club and getting my ass drunk and woke up the next day with a bitch of a hangover. Besides, I knew he was going to get his ass chewed by Bob later, so why make the kid suffer more than he was getting right?

The downside is that, Nick was never happy when the parents are around.

-

Dan wasn’t around when we arrived in Nick’s room. Knowing Bob, either Dan was sent out there along with the search party, or his ass got flown back to Florida.

“What are you doing?” Nick had practically jumped on his bed and was about to doze off.

“I’m bonding with my comfortable bed.”

“What you need is to bond with the shower.”

“I can do that tomorrow morning.”

“No, you’ll do it tonight,” I said. Oh I can feel that big brother streak coming out now. “Look at it this way Nicky…your dad will probably be less mad if he smell some flowery scented bath gel on you rather than the stinking alcohol.”

“No, he’ll probably accuse me of being gay instead.”

“Then we’ll just have to plant some of AJ’s porn videos in your bag now won’t we?”

“I’ll get grounded for that.”

“I think it’s a bargain than getting your ass whipped.”

“Don’t hold your breath.”

“Right now I have to, because you stink.”

He laughed but stopped half way, grabbing at his stomach and looking very green. Oh hell no.

“I don’t feel so good.”

“Toilet, now.” There was no nicer way to tell him that. He made his way to the bathroom and seconds later, he was emptying his stomach down the porcelain god. I wonder what I had done in my previous life to get the honour of hearing that.

Forever and a day later, the barfing stopped, followed by the sound of the toilet flush. I made my way into the bathroom and found him already up by the sink, washing his face.

“I am never drinking again.”

I laughed. “You’re not even legal back home.”

“Well, I won’t drink even when I’m legal.”

“I want that in writing. Think you’re up to it tomorrow morning?”

“I’ll write a decree if it makes you happy.”

He must have been really sick to even suggest that. Perhaps he was indeed hurt when he fell down the stairs after all. I had to check if there were any bruises on his body once he’s done with shower.

“So, what do you do when your friends offer you a drink?”

“Just say no.”

“What else?”

“Tell them that it’s bad for my health and my breath and I will never be ready for the hangover.”

“And?”

He sighed. I laughed.

“And Kevin will beat my ass.”

“Damn right.”

“But you haven’t done that yet,” Nick pointed out. “Is it coming after this?”

“Nope. Your dad’s here, he’ll be doing the beating.”

“Oh I bet.”

I can’t help feeling sorry for him. It was a rare sight, to see him sounding so afraid when the mention of dad was brought up. The two of them were always smile and sunshine around each other. At least that was what I had been noticing.

“Come on, it won’t be that bad.”

He shrugged, which means, he’d like to put an end to this discussion.

“Take the shower okay? You’ll feel better, trust me.”

He snorted but said nothing and then proceeded to shoo me away and locked himself up in the bathroom. A few seconds later I heard the shower running and Nick singing the Sesame Street theme song. I figured this was the best time to call Johnny and let him know baby bear is back in his crib. We’ll deal with father bear later.