- Text Size +
Chapter 4: Zozobra


"So Nick, are you ready for Zozobra?" Contessa asked as she met him downtown a few days later.

Nick grinned feeling like a little kid.

"You bet I am!"

"Well, the burning isn't until dark, but let's go to the fire station and I'll show you what old man gloom looks like in daylight.

Nick grabbed his stuff and followed her out. They drove to Station One and Nick gasped seeing the large puppet hanging up.

"Well there you have it Nick, old man gloom."

Nick breathed out amazed. When she said a puppet, he had no idea this was what it would be like. Contessa grinned watching him.

"Have you ever seen anything like it?" She asked.

Nick shook his head.

"Heck no, this is crazy girl!"

Contessa laughed.

"After 9/11 we called him Osama Bin Zozo."

Nick burst out laughing.

"Yeah I would have liked to have been here for that."

Contessa smirked.

"Come on Nick, I still have to get ready for tonight."

"But it's early.....can't we have lunch before you head off?"

Contessa pushed her lips together.

"Well... I suppose that is okay."

"So, what would the little lady like to eat today?"

Contessa glared at him.

"Are you taking a stab at my height and making fun of me?" she confronted with her arms crossed.

Nick's eyes widened in horror as he put a hand over his heart, mockingly.

"Never! You might have someone chop my head off!"

Contessa rolled her eyes.

"I'm the Spanish queen, not the queen of hearts."

Nick smirked.

"You're the queen of my heart." he told her sweetly batting his eyes.

She smacked the back of his head as she walked to her car.

"Owe! Hey wait for me!" Nick ran to catch up to her.

"So, how would you like to have some of the best pizza here in Santa Fe?"

Nick's eyes lit up.

"Yay, pizza!"

Contessa put on her CD and Nick nearly choked as she sang along to the song.

"You spend your nights alone, and he never comes home, and every time you call all you get’s a busy tone. I heard you found out, that he’s doing to you, what you did to me, ain't that the way it goes? You cheated girl my heart bleeded girl, so it goes without saying that you left me feeling hurt. Just a classic case, just a senerio, tale as old as time girl you got what you deserve. And now you want somebody to cure the lonely night you wish you had somebody that could come and make it right. But girl I ain't somebody, im out of sympathy..."

Nick wouldn't take it any longer he reached over shutting it off quickly. Contessa gave him a weird look.

"You're a JT fan?" Nick breathed out shocked.

"Not a fan exactly but I do like some of his music...."

"Is there anything else I should know?" Nick asked eyeing her.

"Um... I'm a Paris Hilton fan?"

Nick choked. "And you call yourself a fan of me?"

"Well yeah."

Nick was silent for a moment. He was confused a bit but he liked her honesty.

"I guess that's ok." He said after a moment.

Contessa shrugged. "And if you weren't ok oh well. I don't change myself for anybody."

Nick smiled. "You are too cool."

Contessa smirked at him and pulled into a small parking lot.

"Come on."

Nick got out and followed her reading the sign; Il Vicino. Contessa opened the door and walked in.

"Hey Juan!" She called out waving to one of the guys.

"Contessa what's up?"

"Eh, not too much, just brought my friend Nick over to try some of the best pizza ever!"

"Come on, I have a table for you."

Contessa led Nick to a table off to the side.

"Great service, I'm impressed Queeny."

Contessa rolled her eyes.

"He's one of my bank clients and I have been friends with him since before I was Queen."

She smiled as Juan came back with two menus.
"Enjoy you're meal."

"He's the manager." Contessa explained as Juan walked away.

Nick's eyes scanned the menu. All of the food sounded really good.

"What are you getting?"

"My usual combo; it's a small pizza with a salad and a drink."

"Sounds good to me." Nick said.

They placed their order and talked quietly as they waited for their food. Nick smiled to himself finding out that, for a fan, Contessa was different and this made him curious. Only time would tell what could happen for the two of them.