- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Alright, as mentioned in my summary - this is my submission for a challenge by backstreetblade in PICK ONE and i've chosen the 2-Write a scene that takes place in the span of 1 minute. which looks like a popular scene, lol... Hope everyone likes it and your kind comments are highly appreciated!
Everyone gathered around Kevin and wondered what the next immunity challenge would be like. It has had always been a Backstreet tradition that appeared to me as one-sided parlay where I had no slightest idea when and how it came about. The day AJ came up to me and insisted that I picked a stick in the bus was the day where stupidest and most disgusting ideas came to life when you had Nick joining forces with AJ and Brian. If people often said that first love was the hardest to forget then to me, the first challenge was my worst nightmare ever. It was worst than doing the bungee jumping. It was worst than drinking a glass of honey.

Eating as many raw squids as possible in 60 seconds.

That was the first challenge courtesy of Nick Carter simply because he got the longest stick and to know that Kevin actually agreed to play along with this so-called “immunity challenge” surprised me the most. Though the elastic looked alike tentacles were not dangerous yet I could not bring myself to even have a bite on it, let alone to eat it raw. At least in those Japanese restaurants they had various sauces and even the decoration was more appealing to open up your appetite. When I tried to bite it for the first time, I thought I saw it moving. No kidding! Of course I had to pass it leaving Kevin to win the First Backstreet Immunity Challenge.

The last time we had an immunity challenge was about four years ago before we went on a hiatus and Kevin won it so today, he wanted to claim his prize.

“I can’t believe we’re still doing this…” AJ whispered to me as we stood behind Kevin. Was that fear in his voice? Where did that enthusiasm go to Jay? Remembered the last time you won the immunity challenge, you suggested that we painted our nails black, and what about that time when you got us to drink a cup of thick soy. Oh! Did I forget to mention the time when we were supposed to walk around the cemetery in the middle of the night?

“And I can’t believe we even did this in the first place.” I said, trying to be subtle in my sarcasm. AJ shook his head and shook his head lightly.

“What is he doing?” Not to worry Nick, anything from Kevin I would say less mind-disturbing stunts and not so dangerous to your throat and stomach.

“I don’t know… but as long as its nothing to do with anything that has more than 2 legs, I think I’ll be fine.” Nick smirked as if he knew what I meant. Actually we both knew what it was supposed to mean, afterall we just had that reminiscing conversation the other night. Mostly were about the challenges and so far Nick held the most records of winning most of it.

Damn it!

“Kev… what are you doing?” Great job Bri! I was about to ask the same thing too.

“Give me a sec Bri, I just need to fill this thing up… and now… I’m done.”

“Done what?” Brian asked again.

“See this?” What? A big ice box filled with water and ice?

“Its an ice box right?”

“BINGO Nicky! It is an ice box and for the immunity challenge today…”

“What? You want us to find something inside that ice box? Did you put something alive in there? And I supposed we’re only allowed to use our teeth?” Wow! Jay sure watched too much of Fear Factor eh?

“You know what Jay? If you had voiced out those suggestions earlier on, I might be considering them but on second thought, nah! I have something better.” Okay, as long as it had nothing to do with chewing, eating or biting anything that had more than two legs or wriggling about, I guessed I would be fine.

“Are you guys ready?”

“Even if I said no, we still have to go through this tradition right?” I said and yes, with that kind of tone I am being very supportive indeed.

“Not to worry D, there’s no four-legged or eight-legged and more legs creatures in that one.”

“Great! That’s very comforting! Then what is?”

“The challenge is simple… all you have to do is to hold your breath and submerge your face inside that ice water for 60 good seconds. The one who can stand the longest is the winner. How about that?” 60 seconds?

“That’s easy!” Nick said confidently and to be honest, his level of confidence kind of intimidated me. No, not that I had stopped loving that boy but the fact that his creativity in coming up with those challenges will kill me one day because of my weak heart.

“Don’t be so cocky kiddo! I might just win this time round…” AJ said as he patted on Nick’s shoulders. Okay, another competitor.

“Can I pass on this one? I just recovered from my cold and not another round of it, thank you.” Yes! One out, two more to go! Thank you Bri!

“You sure you want to pass on this one Bri? You could just be the winner you know?” Stop encouraging him Kevin! You heard the man! He just recovered from cold, let him rest and let us just moved on with it.

“Yeah, not this time people! I’ll have to pass on this one! Let me be the timer!”

“Well… alright then, Bri had passed this challenge so are you three game for it?” Kevin asked as he turned back at us.

“You bet!” AJ said as he jumped around trying to loosen up all his muscles.

“I am so gonna win again!” Yeah right!

“Are you trying to intimidate me dude? Because that is so not going to work!”

“Oh! Did I hear someone talking to me or was that some buzzing sounds around here?”

“Cut it out you two! Cut it out!” Thanks Kev!

Oh these kids!

“Alright, who’s going first?” Nick and AJ stopped bickering and both turned to me at the same time.

“Oh… no, not me… Jay. Yeah Jay, you go first!”

“Not me! Nick will go first!”

“Why me?”

“Since you’re… you’re the youngest!” That was one acceptable and logical reason by Mr. McLean for once in a decade.

“Right! Then D should go first!” Me?

“Why me now?”

“Because he’s the eldest among the three of us!” Nice one Nick.

“Right! So now you’re talking about age! Then Jay should go first since he’s in the middle and let the middle one go first!” I said and unlike any other times, I am not giving in today. Not today.

“Me?”

“Alright, alright! Stop it the 3 of you! This is going to take the entire day guys… Jay, you go first and then Nick… followed by D.” Kevin said, playing the mediator.

“Me? Why me? Why do I have to go first?” Protested AJ.

“Because I say so and now get your ass moving!” AJ shook his head, still protesting over Kevin’s decision while Nick and I watched him from the side.

“Ready Jay…”

“Yes Bri…”

“1… 2… Go.”

5s

10s

15s


And that was it.

Jay got up patting heavily.

“Dude! I thought you could do better than that!” Oh shucks it Carter!

“Shut up Nick! Get your ass in that one and tell me how long you can stand it!”

“Its 18 seconds Jay… not bad-”

“What? 18 seconds only? That long and its only 18 seconds? Are you sure your time watch is working Bri? I thought its more like what… 40 seconds or something…” Yeah right! I could hardly blink my eyes for the third time and you were already up dude, 40 seconds my foot!

“Funny Jay! For you information, my watch works perfectly well.”

“Man! I think I have ice in my ears and all my ear wax are dripping out now-”

“Dude! Spare us the details will you!”

“Sorry D… just got to share that with you!”

“Thanks but no thanks!”

“Nick… your turn!”

“How long did Jay take to breathe in there?”

“18 seconds dude.”

“18 seconds… nice… I can beat him…”

“Oh really?”

“Yeah! I’ll beat him by… 2 seconds more.”

What? 2 seconds more? I rolled my eyes. What a great ambition Nick had!

“Ready… 1… 2… Go!”

5s

10s

15s


Okay, this boy must be kidding!

25s

30s


“30 seconds Nick!” I walked over to Brian to look at his time watch.

35s

40s


“40 seconds now…”

He must have a horse breath!

45s

50s

55s

57s


Finally, Nick stood up and just like AJ he was patting heavily. Kevin threw a towel over to Nick while he got another one on his arms. For me.

“Hmmmm… not back Nicky! 58 seconds!” Brian said as he showed the stopwatch to me.

How am I supposed to beat that 58 seconds? 58 seconds for God’s sake!

“Your ass is mine dude!” Nick said confidently in an almost breathless mannered as he turned to AJ.

“What? You wanna kiss it?”

“Better than that, I want to kick it!”

“I’m afraid to burst your bubbles dude but don’t celebrate it too early Nicky, its D’s turn now… he might just be the one to kick your ass!” Oh sure Jay! You can count on that one! Even if I could not beat Nick’s time, I will still kick his ass!

“Careful D… those ices are like sharks, they can bite off your skin.”

“Thanks bro! That is very comforting to know!” I said sarcastically. Not that easy to brush me off Nicky boy!

“D, you need goggles?” What?

“Goggles? Whatever for Jay? I’m not going snorkeling.”

“Nah, just in case if you wanna see mermaids swimming in that ice-box.”

“Yeah right!” I said as I flashed him a smirk.

“What’s the time to beat again?” I asked. I knew I had to be doubly and in fact, triply sure about it.

“58 seconds dude. You think you can beat that?” 58 seconds under the friggin freezing water? Not sure bro but how about winking in 60 seconds? Both eyes? I knew the victory would be mine then.

“I don’t know but I’ll try.” I said as I shrugged my shoulders.

“Well D… here we go… 1… 2… and GO!”

Here we go… focus D!

5s

10s


“Dude you can make it! Its already 10 seconds.” What Bri? That was only 10 seconds? Maybe Jay was right, there must be something wrong with your time watch. Someone got to check that one out!

15s

“3 more seconds and you can beat Jay’s time D!” 3 more seconds? That sure felt like 3 hours to me and damn! The ices were pricking on my skin like a thousand needles poking at the same time. Nick was right about the sharks biting your skin off with its shark teeth but of course the way he sounded made it more dramatic and stirring.

20s

25s


25 seconds and I still could not believe what the hell I am doing, getting my head frozen in this icebox as if I am not having enough headaches! My head had already entered the danger zone and it reminded me of a potato wedges being dipped into a cup of tartar sauce.

30s

35s

40s


Man! I should be in bed, sleeping and dreaming. I should be out there inhaling the fresh air and not soaking my head in this freezing water. Though getting your head dipped inside an icebox was not the worst, still its on a Sunday morning people where everybody should be heading their way back home and not stayed behind in this trailer and getting soaked for some stupid tradition.

45s

“Is he for real?” I heard Nick asking from the side.

“Man… at least I know he beats your time and that’s for real!”

“Yeah whatever dude… Kev, you sure D is alright there?”

“That’s right! He might just be sleeping down there!” Oh! That was so funny Jay!

“D, can you hear me?” Loud and clear Nicky!

“Of course he can hear you Nick, he’s not deaf alright!”

“Jay, if he’s sleeping down there, what makes you think he can hear us?”

“You got a point there!”

“I know! Its already what? 50 seconds and he’s still in there… D? D? Are you alright? Dude, are you sleeping down there? Give us an okay signal if you’re fine! D, can you hear me?” I can even give you a slap right now Nick if you don’t shut up!

“55 seconds D…”

“Dude! I can see your ear wax floating on the surface now!” Try harder Nicky!

57s

“How about an ice-cream?” Bribing me was always your last resort, ha! I always knew it was Nick Carter’s way of winning!

58s

“D, one more second and you can beat Nick’s timing!” I heard you Bri!

59s

60s


Hoooohoooo Nick, three words for ya bro -YOU GOT SERVED!